Should i return to Thailand or leave it ?

Greghuntleyuk

28 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I don't mind Chinese as long as they are in small numbers but when they swarm they are a major pain in the <deleted>. Our local market in Din Daeng had become so overcrowded with Chinese tour groups that it took 20 minutes to struggle through the crowds for the 200 metres from the MRT exit to the first few market stalls. In the pre-Chinese tourist days it would take 2-3 minutes at most.

A few grasshoppers are fine but a swarm of locusts is a disaster.

Sounds great for the Thais, lots of business for the market. Bit selfish that you don't want them because it takes you more time. For the local economy it sounds great especially at a market.

• Confused 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Greghuntleyuk said:

Beware very massive, boring rant coming up.

In that case you might consider "leave it"...:whistling:

On 8/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Greghuntleyuk said:

[...] back to my possibility of returning. To those in Thailand, what is life like there now? Naturally tourism orientated places are going to be closed, bars and nightlife must be down and hurting. But no Chinese tourists !!! HURRAAAAH !!!!!!!!

Is life in particular dull, boring?

Someone fill me in what life is like there now compared to a few years ago?

To be honest, I skipped your rant. However, in reply to your questions...

I live in a tourism oriented place, the island Samui, and it's not all that bad; but of course a lot less foreigners than usually at this time of the year, August is normally high season here. But many, mainly many-star, resorts have re-opened, and there are customers, especially during weekends. Lots of local restaurants, pubs and some bars are reopened. Even part of the nightlife is working, and part of that part is not crowded, it's like stuffed beyond capacity.

Only two beachfront areas, extremely depending of tourists, are still almost dead as Dodos.

Compared to a few years ago – what is the relative "a few years", literally a few years, or merely about a decade or 20 years ago...???? – it's not really comparable in my view. "A few years ago", as a few years ago, there were full house, Western tourists probably topped between around 2014-2016. Whilst "a few years ago", as 20-years ago, there were a lot less people. But bear in mind, a few years ago, in all meanings, there were more foreign tourists – where I live mainly Westerners – now there are less guests, and more Thais between those coming, so not same-same, a bit more different. 

This island only had 15 percent Chinese tourists, so the feeling of Chinese has always been different from areas with 35 percent to 50 percent Chinese tourists.

Life is not dull, nor boring, merely same-same, but different. It's of course depending of one's preferences and expectations. There are more space on most of the beaches, so if you are into crowd and noisy jet-ski, you might be disappointed, but still available in some level, if you head to the right beach. Local shopping, including shopping malls, are same-same, apart from facemask and temperature check. Some restaurants have much more space, and others are as crowded as always; the crowded ones might be the same ones that expats and locals use to visit. Many of the reopened pubs and bars might be less populated, but the most popular places are almost as full, or as full, as normal high season, so it might be a question of what one choose – and with a change to another place, if the usual one seems to be deserted, one might also meet new people, or just realize that the usual old birds of the nightlife, missing in the old place, also decided for a change...????

Images from where I live, some beaches offers good space with a touch of being very private, the photo is from late afternoon...

20200724_wIMG_0484_Maenam-Beach.jpg.f7cfd79ef1b501711f8dbc69d47febd9.jpg

Afternoon by a public beach entrance in an otherwise tourist-deserted beachfront area...

wIMG_9984_Chaweng-Beach-col(w800).jpg.7519cd59ce018cf162ade1711cb31d66.jpg

Deserted beach road in an area mainly depending on foreign tourists...

TH-COVID19(1024)_Abandoned-tourist-twonIMG_9870e.jpg.6378db71e3bf014e879e581e33007218.jpg

Night markets and "walking street"s in tourists areas are open, but not at all crowded...

20200730_Walking-street(1024).jpg.18c2f5062b09e0c3012e63f95a13ae5b.jpg

If one is into little running exercise in the afternoon, it seems quite like usual, with a mix of locals and foreigners...

wIMG_0002ce_Chaweng-Lake.jpg.28d3e41bde55edd0019460f3c28491e5.jpg

Some bars and pubs have visitors in what looks like normal numbers...

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.3c9a629213931390699a891c7c19b647.jpg

There are no beach parties, but there are still a number of choices for an evening in a populated club...

wIMG_0439_Hush.jpg.61a624b537684fbbb9f958b9071bd180.jpg

–and/or a night in a crowded night club...

wIMG_0184_Black_20200718.jpg.efc99ae255ffda2a4a0934ac70babefe.jpg

Life is after all not that bad...????

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, Greghuntleyuk said:

To those in Thailand, what is life like there now?

ok. lets make an immediate distinction - tourist areas are carved out to entertain and make you feel more comfortable as a Westerner... for me, they are not even reminiscent of Thailand...

I lived near 20 years in a small village and beyond with Thai family. We have an existence together that is a portion of Thai culture and I find the language and customs and people unique and fascinating... 

There is much more here than Pattaya and Phuket have to offer... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Well I'm not sure about Thailand, but I certainly don't think you should go to China.

Ever.

You could be wrong Johnny boy. In China they have the re-education program, never heard of it? For dissidents . But I am sure they would be glad to admit a farang to re-educate him along with the other dissidents.

6 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I don't mind Chinese as long as they are in small numbers but when they swarm they are a major pain in the <deleted>. Our local market in Din Daeng had become so overcrowded with Chinese tour groups that it took 20 minutes to struggle through the crowds for the 200 metres from the MRT exit to the first few market stalls. In the pre-Chinese tourist days it would take 2-3 minutes at most.

A few grasshoppers are fine but a swarm of locusts is a disaster.

20 minutes for 200 metres? Really? Did you look at those young ones with nice boobs?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Let me know a bit more im curious. Currently hanging out around a lot of people with Chinese roots (Singaporeans) and can only say they are of a far better standard / quality then most westerners I have met. Younger in general and more educated. 

Singaporean chinese are not the same because, being from singapore they have more consideration. But they do have an extreme superiority complex. Chinese malaysians dont give two hoots about anyone but themselves, barge in, yell, complain, get violent quickly.

there are exceptions but even those i go to dinner and drinks with do make me shake my head at how obnoxious they can be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonray said:

Nonsense...I lived in Malaysia for a while and the Chinese, especially the business class have plenty of self respect. They may be a bit insular and stay within their own circles, but you're very wrong about this or maybe you just experienced tourists or laborers from China. Perhaps you are part of the ruling 'Malay' class who have some issues about other races ?

Or perhaps im australian who works in a professional job in malaysia for 7 years. Even had lunch with the pm and the king two weeks ago.

not many chinese labourers here. Most are bangla.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, robblok said:

I have found that certain nationalities really are more racist then others. Hating Chinese and Indians and who ever else they look down on. Those people should just stay home and not mingle with others. 

Where I live in Australia we have heaps of Chinese and Indians and many other nationalities

I love them all, I go to Chinese restaurants very often also to Indian ones. Most of my friends 

are from other countries (to many to list)

• Like 2

Here's a thought: stay where you are to make the higher salary for a while and save 50% of your pay.  Then when you have enough money to live where you can ignore the obnoxious crowds, return to Thailand.  There's no such thing as a free lunch.  You'll have to pay, for now, by enduring cold weather or enduring obnoxious crowds.  By the way, most desirable places have gotten more expensive and more crowded over the past twenty years.  The escape to good living conditions needs to be bought.  It's not free anymore.

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Singaporean chinese are not the same because, being from singapore they have more consideration. But they do have an extreme superiority complex. Chinese malaysians dont give two hoots about anyone but themselves, barge in, yell, complain, get violent quickly.

there are exceptions but even those i go to dinner and drinks with do make me shake my head at how obnoxious they can be.

I found the superiority complex of those Singaporeans to be far lower then that what i see of the OAP's here and I can tell you those guys (and girls) from Singapore are in average far better educated. Never heard them moan the way i see on here. The group I am included in is quite diverse from Indian Singaporeans to Chinese ones. They seem to be far more at ease with each other not putting down others like i see here. Sure they too have their comments about Thais but far less so as here. So superiority complex wise i disagree.

This one had me;

So i'm going through the repatriation process back to Thailand. I am teacher (PLEASE NOTE NOT AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER - BUT A REAL TEACHER), from the UK, but work for a teaching company in Hong Kong, which goes back some 15 years ago. Through them i have teached in Thailand for some 10 years, and finished last June 2019. I did not return in August 2019 due to some family issues in the UK.

Teached(sic)?? Definitely not an English teacher then.

I stopped reading after that.

It sounds like the HK based company that you work for is pimping you out to work at some school in Thailand but NOT AS AN ENGLISH TEACHER, not that there is anything wrong with teaching English.  I wonder how much the company makes off of you.  Can't you get the same level of job but cut out the HK company?  Does the HK company have a retirement program that you are enrolled in that would be on par with what you would get in the UK?  If not, you should really re-think why you want to teach for sub-standard wages with no retirement system in place.