Should i return to Thailand or leave it ?

Greghuntleyuk

Beware very massive, boring rant coming up.

So i'm going through the repatriation process back to Thailand. I am teacher (PLEASE NOTE NOT AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER - BUT A REAL TEACHER), from the UK, but work for a teaching company in Hong Kong, which goes back some 15 years ago. Through them i have teached in Thailand for some 10 years, and finished last June 2019. I did not return in August 2019 due to some family issues in the UK.

So now my company is offering me a chance to return and i am seeking some advice as to what to do ? They have a special repatriation flight in a few weeks. I however am left alone to get the visa's carried out at my own embassy (although they will send my documents).

I can teach in the UK too, and pay is almost three times more here in the UK. However, i loved my time in Thailand - that is up to a few years ago. Around 2017 living Bangkok really began to get on my nerves. The city is becoming massively over crowded with (and okay i'll say it) Chinese tourists. Just horrific beyond belief.

Then there is the gentrification. My condo was lined up next to some of the best street food in the world. It was almost 50-60 vendors that would make some amazing food. I would grab some coffee, a quick breakfast on the way to school - it was unbelievably fresh, clean and the taste amazing. Honestly it bordered on michellin levels, lol. However, they were cleared, along with all the unique shops for a horrific set of ugly condos that has wrecked the Soi. And guess whose gone into those condos - Chinese tourists. They arrive in coach after coach, get shipped around, taken to chinese owned restaurants, chinese owned shops, chinese owned tourists guides, and sent back on Chinese airlines.

My favourite restaurant was closed down, as the land owner sold up and you guessed it a condo got built. Chinese tourists. Coaches. Urination on walls.

Taking the BTS to my school was horrendous. Packed in like sardines in the mornings and on my return.

My parents came in 2018, to visit me for the first time. I was so excited to show them my 'wonderful' life. Took them to Phuket, and we encoutered horrendous Chinese tourism. We had tickets for a boat, but bang comes a coach, and they just swarmed ahead of us, knocking my mother to the floor, and then a trip to the hospital. Eventually got to the islands, and my goodness, speed boats and disgusting pollution everywhere wrecking some of the most prestine islands. Litter everywhere. The final straw for me came when a Chinese mother was allowing her 3 boys to urinate on the beach. Utterly disgusting.

Sorry for ranting on and on. I am just typing my thoughts as i go without a read proof.

So anyways now back to my possibility of returning. To those in Thailand, what is life like there now? Naturally tourism orientated places are going to be closed, bars and nightlife must be down and hurting. But no Chinese tourists !!! HURRAAAAH !!!!!!!!

Is life in particular dull, boring?

Someone fill me in what life is like there now compared to a few years ago?

Sorry for ranting on and on, but was a little theraputic ! SHOULD I STAY OR GO ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

i myself used to like thailand a lot better than i have done in the last few yrs.im stuck here due to covid now along with many others,when we can have more normal lives and function as we did  i dont know,soon i hope.but thats another conversation.i feel that if u return now it will be great,sign for another yr by then the master race will be all over us again and this military govt is seeking to be a china clone so expect the sinofication to increase,i lived in hk before so i know where u r coming from,hk is over finished and its such a shame.anyway give it a go for a yr as they wont be here in massive nos again till then but as soon a s vaccines come in a month or so we will see them massing on the horizons.i will make a move as soon as im able  and go to pastures i prefer.theres many options nowadays so.......

• Like 1

Hard to tell. If you feel like going for a change out of UK, why not? If visa is not too much of an hassle in the UK, supporting docs from the Company.

You been here before, if my call, do it.

Chinese can be a strange species, but you know what to expect and there might be less here, if you come.

9 hours ago, whiteman said:

stay away and go back to the uk and freeze and pick up all sorts of germs there I am glad I am here in Thailand for the last 16 years great living for me and my pets and partner

Freeze? lol. It's been hotter than Thailand. I'm sure your 'partner' enjoys all your germs.

Op, ignore bogun replies. Some of these escape their no worlds to 'paradise' yet get all offended when someone rains on their parade. Empathize Chinese invasion, though not happening right now of course. I would just hang back six months and then wait for the fireworks when the good folk revolt. 

17 hours ago, Sujo said:

I live in malaysia and there are lots of chinese, indian, bangla. Its not a matter of looking down on them, its a matter of they have no self respect.

Its no surprise most of the world think they are generallt not exactly the highest quality people. When so many countries feel the same about them then it really is about them.

Nonsense...I lived in Malaysia for a while and the Chinese, especially the business class have plenty of self respect. They may be a bit insular and stay within their own circles, but you're very wrong about this or maybe you just experienced tourists or laborers from China. Perhaps you are part of the ruling 'Malay' class who have some issues about other races ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Greghuntleyuk said:

Sorry for ranting on and on, but was a little theraputic ! SHOULD I STAY OR GO ?

You've got quite a few bugbears with Thailand which suggests that you might never be truly happy there. And you can earn three times as much money in the UK as you can in Thailand? That's a whole lot of money and a very good reason to stay in the UK. Money isn't everything but I think a secure job in the West with a decent salary is just about the holy grail over what could be a few difficult years for all of us.

No-brainer, I reckon: Stay in the UK and visit Thailand when it opens up if you still have the inclination to do so.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 2

Famous Thai saying “ Up To You “ but I think you would be better off staying in the U.K. for the rest of this year at least as the economy is about to hit rock bottom prices are going up was in 7/11 yesterday I drink mineral water last week I was paying 10 baht yesterday the same water in the same shop was 13 baht and as for petrol the cost is creeping up day by day an increase of 8 baht per litre just in the last month 

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1