Visa amnesty 27th September

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This seems reasonable but it does need some limited time period, right? Or could you renew every month forever?

It would be WISE to make it forever (like the PI) - and why not, given the person has no welfare or such to take here.  But, just until the land-borders are open would work to resolve the current situation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bikke said:

Ugh, really? I've called seven schools in Bangkok and they've all said you have to apply from outside the country!

Yes because things are locked tight in that regard in Bangkok. Try Pattaya you will get very different answers, as an example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

That's funny. Basically they said, get a (fake) student visa through an agent, we want dirty money. That makes me think that the amnesty will probably be extended again and the corrupt immigration is trying to milk poor farangs in the meantime.

While immigration did do the fear-mongering bit the last time ("time to clear out") - Just Before the last extension of the "automatic-extension"* was announced by the Cabinet - Immigration's status-quo extortion/fleecing does not mean the cabinet will extend the auto-extension again. 

* It is not an "amnesty" - it is an automatic-extension of your existing permitted-stay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

* It is not an "amnesty" - it is an automatic-extension of your existing permitted-stay.

Then the IO did had made up their own words.

They said; ' Your visa and extension is expired in May. You leave. 26th September next month.' followed up with  'No 90 day reporting for you. Because visa expired. Leave 26 September.'

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Seik said:

Yes because things are locked tight in that regard in Bangkok. Try Pattaya you will get very different answers, as an example.

Interesting, thanks. Would it be possible to apply at immigration in Pattaya even though I live and would be going to school in Bangkok?

1 minute ago, Bikke said:

Interesting, thanks. Would it be possible to apply at immigration in Pattaya even though I live and would be going to school in Bangkok?

I think the major problem could be if you are not under Chonburi immigration by your x? adress

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bikke said:

My pleasure! And no, your school has to be located in the jurisdiction of the immigration office. Some schools offer to let you follow the classes online though.

• Thanks 1

Background info: I was on a Transit Visa (30 days) from Malaysia, came into Thailand on March 15th. 

I went the CW to apply for a extension of 30 days for my Transit Visa. Paid 1900 baht and my stay was extended till 26th October 2020.

Tried to get more info from the staff asking what will happen if i wish to stay till after 26th Oct and was told that based on my situation i can apply for a Student visa. (was given a contact that could help me process the visa)

I also asked what if the amnesty was extended, would i be wasting my current extension ? She replied me that no further extensions are given, everyone without proper visa will need to apply for one asap. For those who wishes to wait until 26th Sept and see if there are any amnesty extension, if there aren't any, you will not be able to apply any visa as you are considered overstaying and was told most visas takes at least 2 weeks to process.

Edited by JustAnAsian

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

exactly my point but I don't understand your objection about "we". For years I've been in the "I don't understand why I can't stay since I follow the rules, help the economy etc..." yet every year it gets harder and harder to stay. It's not just me either. Many of us don't actually understand how the Thais think and that's why I'm sharing. In every one of these threads people toss out totally reasonable solutions and yes, they, are confused as to why the government doesn't make it easier for us.

If you were a Thai and you applied for a visa to visit a country in the West and your visa application was rejected or if was accepted but only after you went through major hurdles. wouldn't you want your Goverment to apply the same rules for entry into Thailand

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This seems reasonable but it does need some limited time period, right? Or could you renew every month forever?

Not forever, only until certain conditions are met. Which precise conditions that would be is debatable, of course. Being able to enter a neighboring country and to return to Thailand without quarantine, for example.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

A friend has called a bunch of school in Bangkok and found one that also has a branch in a province.  For a HUGE fee (something like 75,000 baht), they'll arrange to get an ED visa set up in the province

That is way too much.  Most schools are charging a fee of something like 15000.  Try to contact schools in other areas yourself.  This was definitely possibly in pattaya, hua hin, Phuket, samui and chiang mai.  I know pro language in pattaya was offering it.  Many schools also allow you to take classes online via Skype, so you can live or travel where ever you want.

you are right at the deadline to apply now, so you need to hurry and get this done immediately.  Don’t waste a single day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Corruption.  They are happy to let us stay for payoffs.  Their entire immigration-system is CENTERED around corruption, with the "official functions" being "gilded" on top of it, for show.

I think it's about more than money though or they would just give us an option for a 30 day COVID extension for the typical 1900 baht. They then would let us extend that every month until the borders (air and land) resume normal function.

• Like 2

There's no schools offering an ed visa for 15,000 the average price seems to be about 45,000..I know they advertise the ed visa for 15,000 but as soon as you go in and speak to them that 15,000 soon turns into 40,000 50,000 or 60,000 baht.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JustAnAsian said:

Tried to get more info from the staff asking what will happen if i wish to stay till after 26th Oct and was told that based on my situation i can apply for a Student visa. (was given a contact that could help me process the visa)

I've heard this twice now. Is immigration suggesting we get a fraudulent student visa?

31 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I've heard this twice now. Is immigration suggesting we get a fraudulent student visa?

It's only fraudulent if you choose not to study! If you get a student visa and actually study, that's perfectly fine.

Edited by Caldera

It's a goer. We been here before there has been zero change the decree is extended Thailand is not resuming as normal and an extension of 4 months in one go is coming.

They made logical decisions so far and have actually forefeited revenues other countries have collected. No immigration officer has a clue and unless the amnesty last time included some very precise wording about being the finale, it's on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

There's no schools offering an ed visa for 15,000 the average price seems to be about 45,000.

The 15,000 baht fee I was speaking of is the additional cost to convert to a student visa without leaving the country.   You also have the normal visa and extension fees and tuition.  In total I paid about 30,000 for six months all fees and tuition.  That seems about the average for 6 months.  If you can find a school that can get you one year, a total of 45,000-55,000 would be about right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

Seems like a scam in cam that whole deal. 1 person tests positive your all done for and they already got your payment in advance and that's $1500 down the swanny.

Something's gonna open up. 

Nepal may be an option.

Send several emails to Nepal embassy and not having any luck, they keep telling me “Not open for tourists”