Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ok.  15,000 baht a month versus GBP/EURO/USD/AUD etc etc.  ????

I bet you know guys that moved back home for their new child, we all do, probably several.  So why didn't they stay, if Thailand is such a great place to raise your child?  

Moving up to the mama sans now?

Oh, various reasons. Often financial: can't afford even modest fees here, need to get "free" back home while they work to afford all the rest involved in moving back. Maybe ignorant, like yourself, of all the possibilities, getting all their information from TVF. Maybe too bigoted and need to turn their kids into relatable proper Chavs.

Doesn't matter. Just 'cause they did it doesn't mean everybody needs to or even should do so. My friend did well in thinking independently rather than aligning himself with the peanut gallery. In any case, it's all irrelevant to my point that an Aussie doesn't have to limit himself only to having a wife and kids in Australia. It's very possible not only in Thailand but in Pattaya as well.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure they exist, apart from in the minds of a few elderly posters.

Certainly not in Pattaya where anything goes.

Oh, they exist alright...even in Pattaya.

Just a bit sad that you've never come across this 'rare' phenomenon, never-mind the outrageous idea of actually experiencing it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mine go to Thai government school, no problems they enjoy going, ones in Junior school, one's in university.

My kid will graduate this year from Thai government University, she's expecting a starting wage of 25-30k/month.

That amount of income will easily buy her a house .... how much will a decent house in your home country cost/month?

How many university graduates in your home country can buy one with their starting wage?

Don't know what country old matey is from but in mine (Australia) seems that most Uni Graduates flip burgers at Macca's.... they wont be buying no houses !!.

And yeah a start wage of 25-35k a month is what Ive seen for new grads.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I don’t want to watch “young girls dancing” that look like children

and I don’t like overpriced beer.

Fat butts don’t cope well with sand and 36degC 

but hey that’s your variety eh?

Fine, and I don't want to sit around on a littered ceach with that smell of the dirty sea in the air. The types of people hanging about on the Beach Rd are not my scene thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, robblok said:

More ironic is that most people in the world would choose to live in Australia then in the UK. Kinda says it all.

Illegal immigration seems to contradict that but I would prefer they preferred Australia myself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Mine go to Thai government school, no problems they enjoy going, ones in Junior school, one's in university.

My kid will graduate this year from Thai government University, she's expecting a starting wage of 25-30k/month.

That amount of income will easily buy her a house .... how much will a decent house in your home country cost/month?

How many university graduates in your home country can buy one with their starting wage?

Well done to your sons sister , She has already graduated from UNI, got a job and bought a house , excellent for her  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You are absolutely right! Further more, it is exaggerated and even incorrect that Thai university grades are not recognized outside Thailand. A few Thai universities are universally recognized as good or even very good academic institutes. I do know a young lady, a graduate of Mahidol university, who now holds a very good teaching position in a first class international school in Germany, I assume she is well paid in €.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Their education is not recognised in the west. 

Many expats move back to their home country for the education of their children, even older guys who pictured a happy retirement in Thailand in their twilight years have moved back home for the benefit of their children.

His decision not to go back to Australia for the children holds back their future employment opportunities and earning potential.  Such a decision is often viewed as selfish.

I don't blame him, and I am not saying his decision is was right or wrong.  Just saying.  

Your statement is absolutely Incorrect. Most private schools in Thailand (international and/or bi-lingual ones) offer internationally recognized studies , GCE, or IB and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, RoadWarrior371 said:

Why leave for good?  Save your Baht for a year, and come back refreshed at a later date.  You can even play "baby seal swarmed by Orcas" when you get back.  Baby oil is optional.

Who can save outside LOS? I'm spending far more just on rent and food than I did in LOS.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unlike the UK, Australia has an illegal immigration policy that actually deters them. The UK should try it if they weren't so woke.

Far too late to correct the wrongs done by past behavior....

On 8/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, BigStar said:

Oh, various reasons. Often financial: can't afford even modest fees here, need to get "free" back home while they work to afford all the rest involved in moving back.

I know a guy working in Oil and Gas and guy working in finance.  Both are in their 40's.  Both from the UK, and both on very good six figure salaries.  The O& G guy used to rotate to Thailand, and the guy in finance did a lot of his work here, online, but would travel back frequently for meeting etc.  Both relocated their wife and child back to the UK, and they could easily afford education and medical here.

I know a retired Australia guy.  He had a child here, and at an older age.  He moved back to Australia, despite living a comfortable lifestyle here.  When I asked him why he was moving back, he said, and I quote, "For a decent school for the kid."  

These are three guys I know, and I of associates who have done the same.  None are poor, but moved back anyway.

Just 'cause they did it doesn't mean everybody needs to or even should do so.

I agree.  Just saying, your stereotype of people with no money moving back to take advantage of benefits is just that, a sterotype.

In any case, it's all irrelevant to my point that an Aussie doesn't have to limit himself only to having a wife and kids in Australia.

I agree, but most want what's best for their children, and whilst we all enjoy living in Thailand, perhaps that's because we had the benefit of making our money in the west.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

These are three guys I know, and I of associates who have done the same.  None are poor, but moved back anyway.

And could be included in one of the other possibilities I gave or some other of the "various." The fact that three did doesn't mean their thinking is necessarily correct or will achieve their ostensible purpose or that others don't fit into one of the reasons I gave. Financial reasons is in fact a common reason given here, as you'd know if you kept up. You're merely shadow boxing again.

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Just saying, your stereotype of people with no money moving back to take advantage of benefits is just that, a sterotype.

You asked for reasons, I pulled a few out of my head, any of which could be applicable, didn't imply it has to be this or that. But if you already know and don't accept any other reason, why argue for the sake of illogical argument as usual?????

Edited by BigStar

On 8/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, BritManToo said:

I get that, but educating kids in the west gives them options.  They can stay in the west, or come back to Thailand. 

You educate them here, and they are pretty much stuck here, or on a minimum wage if they want to earn in the west.

Also, I have heard (so don't shoot the messenger) that many of these 50/50 kids are discriminated against when it come to job interviews and the like.  Do you see this as an issue?  

On 8/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, abrahamzvi said:

Your statement is absolutely Incorrect. Most private schools in Thailand (international and/or bi-lingual ones) offer internationally recognized studies , GCE, or IB and others.

I was referring to university degrees.  

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I get that, but educating kids in the west gives them options.  They can stay in the west, or come back to Thailand. 

You educate them here, and they are pretty much stuck here, or on a minimum wage if they want to earn in the west.

Wrong. They can go to the West later on if they wish, and I gave you two good examples and the ways of doing exactly that. They're earning far more than minimum wage. No, they aren't stuck here. On the other hand, many of those educated in the West do end up on minimum wage anyway, if they find a job.????

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Also, I have heard (so don't shoot the messenger) that many of these 50/50 kids are discriminated against when it come to job interviews and the like. 

Try to stop listening to and repeating rumors all the time, trying to stir the pot. *Look keung may find themselves at a marked advantage for better jobs. I know of couple of cases of that as well. A kid's future often comes down to his family upbringing and himself.

Edited by BigStar

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And could be included in one of the other possibilities I gave or some other of the "various." The fact that three did doesn't mean their thinking is necessarily correct or will achieve their ostensible purpose or that others don't fit into one of the reasons I gave. Financial reasons is in fact a common reason given here, as you'd know if you kept up. You're merely shadow boxing again.

You asked for reasons, I pulled a few out of my head, any of which could be applicable, didn't imply it has to be this or that. But if you already know and don't accept any other reason, why argue for the sake of illogical argument as usual?????

Do you know anyone who moved back to their home country, rather than raise a child here?  If so, what were their reasons for doing so?  

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

They can go to the West later on if they wish,

And earn minimum wage.

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Look keung may find themselves at a marked advantage for better jobs.

I see that some are famous actors and models, but from my own observations, I don't see many in upper management roles here.  

Same question to you, do you think they would be / could be discriminated against in the work place?  

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Do you know anyone who moved back to their home country, rather than raise a child here?  If so, what were their reasons for doing so?  

Your point, which you're trying mightily to deflect, was this: Their education is not recognised in the west. . . .his decision not to go back to Australia for the children holds back their future employment opportunities and earning potential.

Both of those have now been shown as the ignorant nonsense they are, so there's no point in continuing to blow away all that additional smoke you're trying to blow--i.e., via bickering, nitpicking, ignoring, overgeneralizing, repeating, indulging the fave Just In Case fallacy (SOP)--until all of it gets deleted anyway.

32 minutes ago, Leaver said:

And earn minimum wage.

But likely not, and I've given you examples. Now if your kid's not got potential beyond minimum wage then certainly all the expense of moving them back to the West and exposing them to all the bad influences there so they can chill out with weed would, IMO, be wasted; others may disagree.????I think however you'll find that even Thais who moved to the West with no education beyond high school earn, on average, more than their native equivalents. Still, their lifestyle may be better here anyway, as some other posters have noted. And I'll leave it at that rather than waste more time. 

Edited by BigStar

31 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Both of those have now been shown as the ignorant nonsense

If it's ignorant nonsense, why do the majority of guys move the family back to their home country?  Serious question.

It's not due to affordability, from the examples I have given. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Your point, which you're trying mightily to deflect, was this: Their education is not recognised in the west. . . .his decision not to go back to Australia for the children holds back their future employment opportunities and earning potential.

Both of those have now been shown as the ignorant nonsense they are, so there's no point in continuing to blow away all that additional smoke you're trying to blow--i.e., via bickering, nitpicking, ignoring, overgeneralizing, repeating, indulging the fave Just In Case fallacy (SOP)--until all of it gets deleted anyway.

But likely not, and I've given you examples. Now if your kid's not got potential beyond minimum wage then certainly all the expense of moving them back to the West and exposing them to all the bad influences there so they can chill out with weed would, IMO, be wasted; others may disagree.????I think however you'll find that even Thais who moved to the West with no education beyond high school earn, on average, more than their native equivalents. Still, their lifestyle may be better here anyway, as some other posters have noted. And I'll leave it at that rather than waste more time. 

I'd say a qualification for a Thai graduate to get a job in the West would be fluent English. My niece is 13 at an expensive international school. She can't even go past "Hello my name Is..." What do you expect? Filipino English teacher- probably bought his degree in downtown Manila.

On August 26, 2020 at 2:58 AM, aussiexpat said:

I sold a house yesterday and still won't pay for their 21 day prison in Phuket to get back to Thailand, that's when I realised I may never come back ????

People speak of how great it is at the moment, I speak to expats , it's a shuttered ghost town. Great???? To each their own, and besides hookers, what's the draw for pattaya? It's a ghetto. Thousands of great places to spend time without bowing to the Thais. I bet the OP would have wished he rented rather than buy. Stuck with a worthless condo.

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

it's a shuttered ghost town. Great???? To each their own, and besides hookers, what's the draw for pattaya? It's a ghetto. 

Think it really depends who you talk to.  Some expats are miserable and some still enjoy it.  Pattaya would not be my favorite place to retire, but fun to visit prior to covid.  Now, not so sure, seems like with the government business subsidies ending its going to get a lot quieter with far more closures next month and more going back home to Isaan.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Think it really depends who you talk to.  Some expats are miserable and some still enjoy it.  Pattaya would not be my favorite place to retire, but fun to visit prior to covid.  Now, not so sure, seems like with the government business subsidies ending its going to get a lot quieter with far more closures next month and more going back home to Isaan.

The full impact of Covid hasn't hit Pattaya, or Thailand, yet.  

Pattaya, and Thailand's other tourist areas, will look very different 6 to 12 months from now.  

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, KarenBravo said:

The marriages where neither partner strays, seem to work best of all......

One the contrary. The European model for sophisticated couples are that the man has a wife for babies and familial stability. As does the wife have a younger lover for sex. But discretion and courtesy means they do not flaunt their relationships. Certainly this is not an open Relationship. But face, respect and courtesy allow a non monogamous relationship to exist. Thai men know their wives have sex buddies and the wives know their husband's have girlfriends. The problem only arises when either starts to love their minor wife or gik more. Then the <deleted> hits the fan. Same in Europe.