Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Speaking of advice needed, my CBR150R refuses to start on the first 7 pushes of the starter button. Just a loud clunk, louder than a solenoid click. Then, the recurring carb problem rears its ugly head. Cold or hot, it refuses to start for the first 5 or 7 twirlings of the starter (and it is a new battery, fully charged). I suspect the carb problems of the last two years have worn down the Bendix gear or the starter brushes. Any advice? What about one of those racing carbs from goodspeed.com, at Asean motors?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of advice needed, my CBR150R refuses to start on the first 7 pushes of the starter button. Just a loud clunk, louder than a solenoid click. Then, the recurring carb problem rears its ugly head. Cold or hot, it refuses to start for the first 5 or 7 twirlings of the starter (and it is a new battery, fully charged). I suspect the carb problems of the last two years have worn down the Bendix gear or the starter brushes. Any advice? What about one of those racing carbs from goodspeed.com, at Asean motors?

It could be the gear/bushes....however, have you taken the cables off the terminals and cleaned them? Hopefully it's that simple.

I've been reading around, and it seems that most of people think that a 28 mm side draft is what Honda should have put on the CBR 150. Just make sure that you have the proper jets for it.

This is probably the wrong question to ask a bunch of CBR enthusiasts but here goes hoping for some meaningful advice.

First is I am buying a bike soon and was pretty well set on a Yamaha Nuovo Elegance with the 135cc auto. But while I was looking around I spied a second hand CBR150 with 2,000km. Looks less than a year old, probably a 07 model (red and black, black wheels, looks fantastic).

All of my riding will be in the Kabin Buri - Prachin Buri - Chacheongsao area. Most will be local in town to the shops so the Nuovo's much spoken about underseat storage area will be very useful. However, some will be highway trips of 100km.

I now have a Yamaha Mio in BKK which is great for the convenience, but it can't do the highway work with the small engine. I'm thinking the Nuovo is a compromise between the Mio and a highway capable bike with the 135cc engine.

BUT, a few years ago I had a Honda 125R. It was my first bike and I really enjoyed it's performance on the highway.

So my question is should I go for the sensible compromise (the Nuovo) which can carry the shopping and do the odd highway trip.....or should I put up with the limited carrying ability of the CBR for the better highway performance ?

Over to you.

BTW, what price should I be looking at for an 07 CBR with 2,000kms from a dealer. Is the factory warranty transferrable ?

Edited by sibeymai

This is probably the wrong question to ask a bunch of CBR enthusiasts but here goes hoping for some meaningful advice.

First is I am buying a bike soon and was pretty well set on a Yamaha Nuovo Elegance with the 135cc auto. But while I was looking around I spied a second hand CBR150 with 2,000km. Looks less than a year old, probably a 07 model (red and black, black wheels, looks fantastic).

All of my riding will be in the Kabin Buri - Prachin Buri - Chacheongsao area. Most will be local in town to the shops so the Nuovo's much spoken about underseat storage area will be very useful. However, some will be highway trips of 100km.

I now have a Yamaha Mio in BKK which is great for the convenience, but it can't do the highway work with the small engine. I'm thinking the Nuovo is a compromise between the Mio and a highway capable bike with the 135cc engine.

BUT, a few years ago I had a Honda 125R. It was my first bike and I really enjoyed it's performance on the highway.

So my question is should I go for the sensible compromise (the Nuovo) which can carry the shopping and do the odd highway trip.....or should I put up with the limited carrying ability of the CBR for the better highway performance ?

Over to you.

BTW, what price should I be looking at for an 07 CBR with 2,000kms from a dealer. Is the factory warranty transferrable ?

It is nice to have the twist and go of an auto....but it's also a bit staid. How much can you really stick under the seat in one of those? I have a tank bag and a backpack that holds a whole bunch of stuff. Plus, running out to the village market, I can drape things over the rear-view mirrors (wonder how much crap that would get me into back in the States?). Also, if you don't do much two-up riding, getting a box, which may look a little odd on a pocket sports bike, would expand how much you can carry also.

As for how much you should pay, I would think that in the 45 000 baht range wouldn't be unreasonable, assuming the bike hasn't been dropped and it has all its service records in order. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the warranty being carried over or not.

As for carrying capacity, the underseat area of the CBR150R barely holds a rainsuit or a cargo net (not both). And yes, if I could upload the photos, I could show you my bike with about 48 cans of soft drinks on the pillion, and several kilos of groceries hanging from the mirror stalks. But 7-11 bags start to tear apart above 120 kph. :o

As for carrying capacity, the underseat area of the CBR150R barely holds a rainsuit or a cargo net (not both). And yes, if I could upload the photos, I could show you my bike with about 48 cans of soft drinks on the pillion, and several kilos of groceries hanging from the mirror stalks. But 7-11 bags start to tear apart above 120 kph. :o

Thanks for the replies. but I'm still undecided.

Just for the record it's been posted elsewhere on TV that the new Nuovo can take 8 large bottles of Leo under the seat, although I can not confirm this.

I did have a removable box rigged up on the back of the 125R for the occassional shopping trip. No reason I couldn't do the same on a CBR150.

Ah, memories.......I really enjoyed that 125R.

BTW, bought it 1999 I think. Yellow colour with some purple and white from memory. And we had all the decals removed before delivery, even the 125s.

PeaceBlondie, were you in Satuk in 1999 by any chance ?

Let's see, 1999...inner city Chicago, rural Nicaragua, rural Chiapas (ocean and highlands). Satuk, no, unless that was a Mayan pyramid I forgot I saw. :o When you have seen 6 or 7 pyramid sites, you can skip Chichen-Itza (I did). Kind of like your 49th wat or your 112th stupa, you go into a stupid stupor. I bought a Suzuki GN250 "chopper" and dropped it in the second hour of riding it, November 1999. Memories....I fashioned a PepsiCola box atop that chopper, and when I added a Ferrari sticker, it went 0.6 kph faster.

Back on topic: bike stalled several times when I went off the throttle, but re-started without much drama then. I sent a note to goodspeed (Aseanmoto)asking for the prices of the Kehin and Mikuni carbs.

Aseanmoto is FAST: 1.5 hours after I sent an email, they replied! Keihin flatslide 28 mm. price 4,500 thb.+ EMS mail to Cheing mai 200 thb. While that is rather expensive, I am ready to change.

Let's see, 1999...inner city Chicago, rural Nicaragua, rural Chiapas (ocean and highlands). Satuk, no, unless that was a Mayan pyramid I forgot I saw. :o When you have seen 6 or 7 pyramid sites, you can skip Chichen-Itza (I did). Kind of like your 49th wat or your 112th stupa, you go into a stupid stupor. I bought a Suzuki GN250 "chopper" and dropped it in the second hour of riding it, November 1999. Memories....I fashioned a PepsiCola box atop that chopper, and when I added a Ferrari sticker, it went 0.6 kph faster.

Back on topic: bike stalled several times when I went off the throttle, but re-started without much drama then. I sent a note to goodspeed (Aseanmoto)asking for the prices of the Kehin and Mikuni carbs.

Aseanmoto is FAST: 1.5 hours after I sent an email, they replied! Keihin flatslide 28 mm. price 4,500 thb.+ EMS mail to Cheing mai 200 thb. While that is rather expensive, I am ready to change.

Hmm, that's not too shabby. BikeBandit.com has them listed for $220. So that's actually quite a good deal, assuming it's the same model. Please give us a heads up about your jetting settings. I've read that the 42/120 combo works really well.

Over to you.

Well I have a CBR, and My my wife has the new Suzuki Hayate, which is very similar to the Nouvo.

Basically the Hayate sits around until we need to be at two different places at once. The Hayate is more comfortable and has good sized storage, but compared to the CBR, it feels like your towing cargo even though it will go 110 plus. On the road I feel much safer on the CBR, it has a natural feel and a balanced center of gravity (too much weight to the front though).

But I don't hate riding the Hayate either, it was the right bike to buy for her, she's too short for the CBR.

My suggestion is to testdrive a CBR and then you can choose which bike you prefer.

I am ordering a Kehin 28 today from Goodspeed. cost is 3200 B. I ran across a local copy yesterday for 1500 but leery about the quality. She claimed "not a copy" but at 1500 ???

Jetting should be Ok at either 42/120 or 40/125 and I will have to see how it goes with the Endurance pipe.

Goodspeed is recommending 48/135 which sounds a bit fat for street use

Be aware that this carb has a longer travel than the stock CBR, and you will also need a throttle from a Honda RS-125 or Yamaha YZ-125. Honda cost 1500 but a clone can be had in CM for 150.00

Buy a K&N or local Hurricane air cleaner at the same time for 1000 B

Denso IU27A iridium plug will work best.

You guys are worrying me about changing the carb. Boyfriend is out of town but he just said to wait and talk to Honda. I will, but Honda cannot fix the carb right, for more than a year now. But why is goodspeed quoting one guy (hog Head) 3,200 baht and another guy (me) 4,200? They also offer a new air filter for 500. But then you talk about new cable, new spark plug, labor, etc. Sounds like a 7000 baht job.

You guys are worrying me about changing the carb. Boyfriend is out of town but he just said to wait and talk to Honda. I will, but Honda cannot fix the carb right, for more than a year now. But why is goodspeed quoting one guy (hog Head) 3,200 baht and another guy (me) 4,200? They also offer a new air filter for 500. But then you talk about new cable, new spark plug, labor, etc. Sounds like a 7000 baht job.

A new airfilter won't break the bank....I'd forgotten about the extended pull of the new carb--I had read about that also. I've also heard that you can get a NSR 150 grip--perhaps you could even use the same carb? It may be more cost effective to try and find a junker NSR; of course it doesn't hurt to explore your options! And if you're brave you could always drill a new hole closer to the pivot on the throttle lever arm.

I don't think that a new plug/wire/air filter are necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. The biggest hit, after the carb itself, is actually getting it set up. Of course, if you have a Thai friend who is pretty mechnically inclined, you could probably get it done pretty inexpensively.

To clarify the carb issue - there are 2 types of Kiehin carbs and available in both copy and genuine formats.

1. Use a carb from a Honda NSR-150 which is a round slide type, Kiehin PE28. Jet at 42/120, 40/125 for average street use with a pipe, or 48/135 for WFO use and/or cammed engines. This is probably OK for most riders and better than the stock unit.

Cost ranges from 1500 for a copy to 3000 for the real thing. Be very leery about the copies.

Add jets as required at 160 ea.

At this cost why bother with a used carb from an old NSR that Somchai has been "adjusting"

2. Better is a Kiehin PWK28, D slide type. You will find that the locals call these flat slides but this is marketing hype by those that really do not know. A flat slide is different and not available from Kiehin this small. Jet 45/128 with a pipe and WFO use

For the small incremental cost over the PE, and better performance, this is what I am buying

Cost is 4200 plus jets at 160 ea.

In both cases you will need the Honda RS-125 throttle at 1300

Aircleaner is a must, and either K&N cone type or local clone at 500 B.

Remove the charcoal can, and let the crankcase vent directly to atmosphere.

3. I like Denso Iridium IU-27A plugs but cannot find them yet in CM. If I do anyone want in on buying a box?

alternate is NGK racing plug CR8E

4. Ignition is the next step, but cost is now starting to rise, and after all this is a small displacement street bike. It soon becomes cheaper to buy a bigger bike. In terms of power for the baht, one is now entering into the realm of diminishing returns.

The hot coil set up is the integral coil and plug at 4300.

Cheaper alternative is a better Honda plug wire and Yamaha YZ250 or Suzuki RM coil. This is a low cost reasonable way to go

ECU is 4300 and removes the rev limiter.

Peace Blondie - If you do not want to spring for a PE28, I will sell you my stock carb at 1500 B with 4400 km on it if you wish.

PM me

2. Better is a Kiehin PWK28, D slide type. You will find that the locals call these flat slides but this is marketing hype by those that really do not know. A flat slide is different and not available from Kiehin this small. Jet 45/128 with a pipe and WFO use

For the small incremental cost over the PE, and better performance, this is what I am buying

Cost is 4200 plus jets at 160 ea.

PS - Cost for a copy PWK is 3000B plus jets.

Quality is questionable and at this small incremental cost why dick about

@HogHead, have you also heard of simply using the coil from a NSR? That's something that's come up in my perusals on the internet....perhaps it's an option also.

Oh, and why do you propose bypassing the airbox? I've read alot that having it is extremely beneficial for smaller sized motors, since it helps prevent the motor from "bulping" so much.

Edited by dave_boo

Is bulping a combined burp and belch and pulping?

My bike might have been acting up because my partner was out of town. It got better as he returned from Koh Chang. He increased the idle so it does not die at idle or coming off high rpm. We are going to wait. I am not ready to spend 7K or 9K on carburetion. But HogHead, send me a PM about your slightly used carb, since we are both here in CMai. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, you guys have gone and done it now! :o I've asked the local shop to get me in a red one to "try" on Saturday. Will I succumb and hand over the readies? (61,800 Baht) :D

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I'm glad I was able to get the metallic yellow coloured one before they stopped producing them.

I bought whatever insurance was offered on the bike back in '06 and let the old lady buy whatever since.

Usually, one year of free insurance comes with the bike. I doubt it is first class (what we call full coverage in the USA). Now we pay about 800 baht per year for insurance and registration and tax.

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A NEW CBR150R. What colors do they come in now? Can I still bargain them down to 63K?

I put my bike up for sale on TVisa classifieds today. I do not think we want to wait for the CBF/CBX 250 Honda naked sport bike, unless it is coming in the next 60 days.

Do you think they would let me buy new Dunlops front and rear as I buy the bike?

I cannot find a Thai website with current colors of CBR150. Too lazy to look through all 350 posts of this thread. Do you have a direct link, please? Thanks.

I have found several larger bikes for sale direct from the manufacturers - Various BMW's, Yamaha R6, R1, FZ6 etc What I really want to know is what models are Honda selling? I find their Thai website rather confusing. There appears to be a new BigBike section but it has nothing in it. Can I go into a Honda dealership and order a new CB600F Hornet? Or a CB400VTEC? Anyone know?

Usually, one year of free insurance comes with the bike. I doubt it is first class (what we call full coverage in the USA). Now we pay about 800 baht per year for insurance and registration and tax.

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A NEW CBR150R. What colors do they come in now? Can I still bargain them down to 63K?

I put my bike up for sale on TVisa classifieds today. I do not think we want to wait for the CBF/CBX 250 Honda naked sport bike, unless it is coming in the next 60 days.

Do you think they would let me buy new Dunlops front and rear as I buy the bike?

I cannot find a Thai website with current colors of CBR150. Too lazy to look through all 350 posts of this thread. Do you have a direct link, please? Thanks.

Current colors are Black, Blue, and Red. The Black one replaces the Yellow color previously offered.

Also on the issue of insurance, I actually think that mine has expired (wife is very lazy!) since I do know that the registration expired back last year--I think. It's nice living out in the sticks where they don't stop people for stuff like that; mostly because nobody has the proper registration and couldn't pass a safety test much less an emission test on their bikes anyways.

When you find out.. Post the sticker shock can you..

I am only internet tyre kicking but I do soooo love the 08 hornet !!

In truth I am so cheap if I did this I would pick up a bike in UK and ship it to Malaysia on uk plates and keep it here that way.. You see really low mile Hornets, FZ600's, etc for a couple of grand GBP.. 120k baht ish.. Shipping isnt so expensive it more the hassle factor. But when you think a new FZ6 here is 440k v a clean late model <150k (I saw a superb 06 with 3k miles for about this) and some stress, I would find it hard to go the legit way.

Thanks, daveboo. About the stickers, I found that was one thing the CBR150R windshield is good for: posting the insurance and registration stickers right up front! Assuming of course that you stay legal, Mr. Policeman can see at a glance that you have the right color stickers. It is not pretty, but only a midget could get down far enough to see through that windscreen. Speaking of which, I was joined at a stoplight yesterday by a gaggle of teenagers, including one bike ridden by a ten year old.

OK, one irritated girlfriend later and numerous phone calls and - Honda does not sell any big bikes in Thailand, yet. The website is to show what they want to do apparently. They are trying to gear up to sell the bigger models from Christmas.