Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

T-dog. They don't do a 100/90 its a 100/80 and its about the same height wise just a little wider. I don't know quite what you mean by 'muscle around' surely at higher speed your using your body weight and lean to change direction rather than 'muscling around' the handlebars. at lower speeds or more sudden changes of direction then yes they are a bit 'harder' but not a lot :o . they are sooooooo much better on the tarmac than the IRC's. the control you have over the front wheel on breaking is superb and the handling is transformed. note to OP i would check your tyre pressures as Thais are renowned for putting to much in. i found 30 front, 32 rear worked great.

AND DMITRY. YOU just have to click on the link to find the details....................................... or do you want me to do that for you as well. :D

Allan

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-dog. They don't do a 100/90 its a 100/80 and its about the same height wise just a little wider. I don't know quite what you mean by 'muscle around' surely at higher speed your using your body weight and lean to change direction rather than 'muscling around' the handlebars. at lower speeds or more sudden changes of direction then yes they are a bit 'harder' but not a lot :o . they are sooooooo much better on the tarmac than the IRC's. the control you have over the front wheel on breaking is superb and the handling is transformed. note to OP i would check your tyre pressures as Thais are renowned for putting to much in. i found 30 front, 32 rear worked great.

AND DMITRY. YOU just have to click on the link to find the details....................................... or do you want me to do that for you as well. :D

Allan

You're right Allan... Just got those numbers wrong. There is more side clearance so they should fit in just fine.

Regarding the sudden lane changes at high speeds, I am just saying that after riding 700 km last week on the IRCs and then 300 km over the past two days on the Michelins, I notice the heavier feel at high speeds. Mostly a comment and not a complaint. They are a much better tire and I wish I would have changed sooner.

AND DMITRY. YOU just have to click on the link to find the details....................................... or do you want me to do that for you as well. :o

Allan

I'll take a stab and guess that the price is 800 Baht including shipping, but I have no idea about ease of installation.

As a side note though, it does look like a very interesting mod....in fact it's at the top of my list, guess I'll have to give the listed phone number a call to find out how hard it is to install (my guess is not easy, since there must be some kind of linkage to the transmission system).

<br />Hi all<br /><br />If any of you guys are looking for a<b> new black CBR150 </b>and are willing to travel to Surin, they is a one month old 'unwanted gift' been <br />returned to the dealers and they are selling it for <b>43,000</b>. Its done 3000 km and its spotless, still got the plastic over the seats. <br />My sister in law works for the shop and she assures me its been in no accidents, since they supplied it new.<br /><br />I have no interest in this but just thought i'd bring it to fellow TV members attention<br />PM me if anyone wants numbers/directions<br /><br />Dave<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I PM'ed DTD yesterday and got the contact number from him. Just got back an hour ago from Surin with a 'new' CBR150. As Dave said the bike is totally spotless, as new and I saved over 20k on it. Bike wasn't even registered yet so I'll be first owner :o Dave's SIL who works their called him and he and his lovely wife dropped by to say hello, great people.

Just wanted to say a public 'thank you' Dave and that drink or three will be in your hands Friday.

<br />Hi all<br /><br />If any of you guys are looking for a<b> new black CBR150 </b>and are willing to travel to Surin, they is a one month old 'unwanted gift' been <br />returned to the dealers and they are selling it for <b>43,000</b>. Its done 3000 km and its spotless, still got the plastic over the seats. <br />My sister in law works for the shop and she assures me its been in no accidents, since they supplied it new.<br /><br />I have no interest in this but just thought i'd bring it to fellow TV members attention<br />PM me if anyone wants numbers/directions<br /><br />Dave<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I PM'ed DTD yesterday and got the contact number from him. Just got back an hour ago from Surin with a 'new' CBR150. As Dave said the bike is totally spotless, as new and I saved over 20k on it. Bike wasn't even registered yet so I'll be first owner :D Dave's SIL who works their called him and he and his lovely wife dropped by to say hello, great people.

Just wanted to say a public 'thank you' Dave and that drink or three will be in your hands Friday.

Elephants and Dudes never forget! :o:D:D

Enjoy & safe riding you lucky B*gger

Dave (still Bike-less biker!)

Edited by Dave the Dude

Now Judas. you just gotta change those crappy IRC tyres soon as. trust us it will be money well spent :o

Also Dmitry i emailed the guy with the gear indicator. not sure how hard it would be but not so hard that a decent shop could not do, it comes with instructions in Thai. he also said that he would come and 'diy' fit one to the Ninja. so it would seem that the guy knows his stuff.

Allan

Now Judas. you just gotta change those crappy IRC tyres soon as. trust us it will be money well spent :D

Also Dmitry i emailed the guy with the gear indicator. not sure how hard it would be but not so hard that a decent shop could not do, it comes with instructions in Thai. he also said that he would come and 'diy' fit one to the Ninja. so it would seem that the guy knows his stuff.

Allan

I'm sure you're right thaicbr but first I've gotta regrow the b@lls I had 15 years ago :o as far as pushing a bike/tyres to their limit. Right now I'm riding like my grandma :D

MATE. Those tyres are shit big time, its not about taking them to the limit, normal riding does that. bad accidents come from crap tyres, just ask here. myself, daveboo etc.

Allan

Cheers Allan. I'm off out today around Surin to try and get helmet, boots etc and tyres are on the list. Don't feel confident about sourcing the right tyres up here but I'm sure Trent or Peter will send them to me if needed. Don't really fancy a trip to BKK just yet.

Was actually planning on buying the er6n so I'm expecting a piss take from Trent and Pete but the CBR 150 is not a bad bike to get me back into riding again. The wife can ride it if/when I get something bigger.

Jack

Cheers Allan. I'm off out today around Surin to try and get helmet, boots etc and tyres are on the list. Don't feel confident about sourcing the right tyres up here but I'm sure Trent or Peter will send them to me if needed. Don't really fancy a trip to BKK just yet.

Was actually planning on buying the er6n so I'm expecting a piss take from Trent and Pete but the CBR 150 is not a bad bike to get me back into riding again. The wife can ride it if/when I get something bigger.

Jack

Richard ain't lying. IRC tyres should NOT be allowed on bikes. While the only time that they let me down on my CBR was in a puddled corner on a track, the IRC on my Ninja led to a nice highside. They've been squirelly on a couple of other occasions and everyone who has left the stock tyres on the Ninja has complained about them. Can't tell you exactly why the Ninja owners have more problem with them unless it has to do with the greater mass.

Richard ain't lying. IRC tyres should NOT be allowed on bikes. While the only time that they let me down on my CBR was in a puddled corner on a track, the IRC on my Ninja led to a nice highside. They've been squirelly on a couple of other occasions and everyone who has left the stock tyres on the Ninja has complained about them. Can't tell you exactly why the Ninja owners have more problem with them unless it has to do with the greater mass.

Dave, with respect, quit blaming your crash on your tires dude.

First let's note that the IRC's on the CBR150 are completely different from the IRC's that come with the Ninja 250R. I've never ridden the CBR150, but the tires "look" like crap.

Just looking at the IRC Roadwinners that come on the Ninja it's apparent they have a more aggressive tread pattern.

IRCRoadWinnerRX01.jpg

I'll agree that the IRC Roadwinners that come on the Ninja 250R are indeed quite hard, and are very slick on wet roads.

But any tire can slide and it's the rider's job to know the limits of his tires. You crashed your bike with barely 600km on the clock as I recall. I'd venture to say you did not know the limitations of your tires and that is why you locked up your front on that corner and went off into the sugar cane.

So, bottom line, yes the IRC Roadwinner tires are hard and you can certainly get better grip and handling with Pirellis, Dunlops, Bridgestones, etc. But saying that IRC's shoudn't be allowed on bikes?! I'd say they are excellent touring tires and they are cheap. I put nearly 12,000km on mine and rode them edge to edge without incident. I learned to ride within their limitations. They can be ridden edge to edge, but the riding must be smooth or the tires will come loose. But you already know that! :o

Happy Trails!

Tony

A pretty tyre pattern doesn't mean it is a better tyre. Personally i think it is false economy not to have decent tyres, and being a novice rider i need all the help i can get. Even if i was an experienced rider i'd still want better tyres than IRC. Unexpected things happen that are beyond experience or riding ability, better tyres can mean the difference in having an off or not. If you have a CBR get the Michellin Pilot Sports! And if i get a Ninja i will be getting the Bridestones or Pirellis!

Seems i have found myself a decent mechanic, and not far from where i live! He mainly does work on big bikes, now some Harleys, Phantoms etc but he spent 10 years working on Japanese bikes. He fitted a stainless header pipe and re-jetted the carby. The bike is nice and tractable again, and certainly goes harder. A bit more noisy, but i am getting deafer as i get older so not a big issue. If the cops pull me over i can pointed out it still have the original muffler! :o

I counted the teeth on my rear sprocket which the previous mechanic changed, it is 38 (or thereabouts!!!). I know the factory one was 44. I don't think he changed the front cog, so will i have more acceleration or higher top end?

Higher top end mate. personally it would depend on your weight to if you keep this set up. i am an ample 110kgs and felt the bike just did not have enough power to push me up to the decent top speeds. i changed back to a 44 and all was good, better accelleration and more top end ( the bike stayed in its powerband).

sprockets are fairly cheap so you could experiment. bib should not be a problem with the original muffler. did you get the down pipe were the muffler is connected with 2 springs. if so i have a muffler you can try...............its SOOOO NOISY i even got pulled out here in Nakhom Pathom. and the bib out here dont hassle falang unless you do something daft (like a mind numbingly load muffler :o

Allan

2 days while returning from Rayong, did not notice the sand on the road, imm. lost control and crashed on about 50-60 km/hour speed. hit the knee badly, but luckly the bones were not broken. now its 4 times bigger than it should be. :o

thats so stupid. i've survived 1 year in crazy pattaya traffic with no eccidents just to fall off the bike on the zero traffic road going strictly forward. maybe the default bike tyres are not that good.

beware of sand on the road, even on sukhumvit!!!

T Dog and his famous pillion rider missed me when they drove past my new neighborhood this week. We need to meet up so that I can try out his new tires and consider an early retirement for mine, after barely 5,000 km.

I can think of one spill on my original CBR150R that could have been caused by crummy front IRC tire. The Dunlop I finally replaced it with was far better.

Dave, with respect, quit blaming your crash on your tires dude.

First let's note that the IRC's on the CBR150 are completely different from the IRC's that come with the Ninja 250R. I've never ridden the CBR150, but the tires "look" like crap.

Just looking at the IRC Roadwinners that come on the Ninja it's apparent they have a more aggressive tread pattern.

IRCRoadWinnerRX01.jpg

I'll agree that the IRC Roadwinners that come on the Ninja 250R are indeed quite hard, and are very slick on wet roads.

But any tire can slide and it's the rider's job to know the limits of his tires. You crashed your bike with barely 600km on the clock as I recall. I'd venture to say you did not know the limitations of your tires and that is why you locked up your front on that corner and went off into the sugar cane.

So, bottom line, yes the IRC Roadwinner tires are hard and you can certainly get better grip and handling with Pirellis, Dunlops, Bridgestones, etc. But saying that IRC's shoudn't be allowed on bikes?! I'd say they are excellent touring tires and they are cheap. I put nearly 12,000km on mine and rode them edge to edge without incident. I learned to ride within their limitations. They can be ridden edge to edge, but the riding must be smooth or the tires will come loose. But you already know that! :o

Happy Trails!

Tony

I have admitted, on numerous occasion that rider error (that would be me for anyone that was wondering) was a portion of the crash. IIRC, I'm not the only one who has gone down and the (at least one if not the root)cause was directly attributable to the Ninja's front tyre. And yes the tread pattern is better on the Ninja's than the CBR's, but ever look at racing tyres? They have NO tread. There's no correlation between a tyre's thread and gripping poweress if the underlying compound is crap.

And I agree that IRC tyres are cheap. Perhaps even well suited for touring. But is that what either of the bikes are intended for? A remake of Easy Rider? Perhaps I was a bit over the top when I said that IRC shouldn't be installed and stated they shouldn't be installed on sports bikes.

I can appreciate you rode your tyres for that length of time without incident. But being able to cope with that important of a safety issue isn't the same as stating that there is no issue. For instance both the car accidents I have been in (cousin driving with me in the back and me pulling out into the road in front of a Camaro) was sans seatbelt. I was not wearing a seatbelt either time, ergo seatbelts are over-rated and you don't need them in an accident?

Oh, and BTW, I put that many kilometers on my CBR's stock IRC tyres in two years. It was actually in 6 weeks since that's all the time I spent in LOS during that timeframe. And with the exception of the track incident I never had anything remotely similar to what happened on the Ninja. Did I learn to compensate as you were able to do for your bike? Perhaps, but I stand by my assertion they should not be allowed on sports bikes.

2 days while returning from Rayong, did not notice the sand on the road, imm. lost control and crashed on about 50-60 km/hour speed. hit the knee badly, but luckly the bones were not broken. now its 4 times bigger than it should be. :D

thats so stupid. i've survived 1 year in crazy pattaya traffic with no eccidents just to fall off the bike on the zero traffic road going strictly forward. maybe the default bike tyres are not that good.

beware of sand on the road, even on sukhumvit!!!

Good that you're ok; after my spill I went to the ER and found out I had some bruised muscles in between the ribs. However I managed to score some happy pills and left out only 900 THB lighter (and that included the X-Ray and prescription!).

Don't beat yourself up about it too much, if you were on an empty soi and not going that fast it isn't surprising if your mind wandered and you forgot to look ahead...almost happened to me once with the back of a delivery tak-tak.

A few questions for you CBR 150 experts:

Had mine bike just over a week now and enjoying every minute. Great to be back on 2 wheels again. On a flat stretch of road with little wind I can get just over 120 kph, maybe 123, if I get down on it will slowly creep up to indicated 140, does this sound about right? I'm 88 kilos. At 140 is doing 9500rpm.

Looking for a bit more performance. Thinking about a larger exhaust down pipe, keeping the original back end so not too noisy? Larger carb and maybe sproket change? Would like to get around 135kph in normal riding position....

What you think guys?

What you think guys?

Shame you could't make it to Norbies to buy me a beer for getting you the thing :D:D:D

Elephants & Dudes never forget

:o

Dave

Aww Dave, was a close call, either get you some beers or get the wife's driving license :wai: She's just gone out in the truck :P but the good news is she doesn't drink so is now designated driver :D

Got you on my "guilty conscience" list, it's a bl@@dy long list.Soon geezer....

try folding the mirrors in and try again...i was surprised at the difference when i tried.

wind resistance seems to play a big role in breaking 120kph on these bikes.

it takes 5hp just to break 90kph.

Edited by Vato

check your current sprockets. see if they are standard sizes. on the clock a standard cbr150 should do 130-135 easily on full throttle. with a new downpipe(best cheap mod) you should edge over 145 at your weight. you might look at changing the tyres but i think i MIGHT have mentioned this before :D

My mechanic reckons if you change the downpipe, carb(28mm) and camshafts the bike will manage about 160+. he did say that DO NOT change to an unlimited CDI as the bike could go BOOM. it seems that some of the reworked CDI's still have a rev limit but slightly higher up. he seemed to think that the cdi was not worth it though. unfortunately i sold my Cbr150 before he could do the work.

he's done these mods on several sonic 125's (150 top ends) and they are fast, but handle like shit cos they have those stupid super skinny tyres............. :o

Judas, if you made it to an indicated 140, that is normal. The last 20 kph require patience and tucking in, or losing 18 kilos. I find it helps to shift out of 4th and 5th around 11,500 rpm. Changing the exhaust header seems to help on power, and the carbs. But many of us have not bothered.

Thanks for the feed back. Seems like I'm getting the same performance as PB and trying to get what thaicbr mentions. Just took the bike over to local mechanic here in Issan who the wife went to school with. Went for oil change but mentioned I want Michelin tyres and some performance parts and off course he said "can do" So, of now with him to Surin where he says there's a shop with everything I need :o

Will post later how I got on but will be happy to get some better tyres on, just to please thaicbr :D

p.s. checked sprockets, front 15, back 44 so seems standard

Wow. Just been out for a blast and thought I'd go for max speed on a great straight up here. Full tuck with helmet virtually touching the ignition key, speedo creeping up, still creeping up, bend approaching, holding out for it....... yesss, 150kph indicated, on the breaks and into the bend a little faster than I would have liked :D IRC tyres help up though!!

Nothing available in Surin, performance parts wise. Located ONE Michelin Pilot Sporty yesterday and shop couldn't or wouldn't order the matching rear.....

Happy Days :o