Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Wanna play on my old CBR150 again, i am running on 110/80 - 130/70 tires on 3.5 rims. This makes it a little heavy to move so i am thinking on upgrading the bearings and front forks/shocks. Anyone has a idea which forks which are stronger will fit on it? Old CBr250? Any Suggestions also for bearings? Thanks!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to ditch the touring screen, didn't like it much anyway. About 2 days after i had the screen fitted it cracked. I think the mechanic may have done the mirror bolt up too tight, though it seems a bit strange that this can happen. Maybe it could have been a flaw in the screen or someone lent on it. Anyway i decided to get the black sports screen from Faddy but the price had gone up from THB 1,700 to THB 2,000 in about a week! So i thought it is gonna be a lot cheaper to paint the original sports screen black, sorta PCX style! :lol: It looks good, and even better cost only THB 300!

I also got the mechanic to do a tail tidy. I bought a couple of smaller rear indicators for THB 350, plus THB 100 for a relay. I got him to remove the whole rear section including the number plate light, and he made a cover plate and bracket for the number plate and new indicators.

I also got him to change the rear sprocket from a 43 to a 45 (and change the chain as well). Hard to say if any difference but it does seem much nicer to use, the gearing seems to be happier for riding in the city and as Kermit said, even out of town at around 100 kph i feel like changing up to 6th, while before it seemed to chug a bit. I suppose it has gotta to have better acceleration but it still isn't startling! :lol:

So now i am just waiting for the ECM/ECU and tyres. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (front 110/70, rear 140/70) are about 2 months away before being in stock and who knows when API-Tech get their act together with the ECM.

post-70604-0-41244000-1314360192_thumb.j

post-70604-0-92711400-1314360214_thumb.j

post-70604-0-64932900-1314360240_thumb.j

post-70604-0-05643000-1314360255_thumb.j

post-70604-0-01810500-1314360273_thumb.j

post-70604-0-10285700-1314360285_thumb.j

post-70604-0-01070700-1314360308_thumb.j

post-70604-0-69021700-1314360334_thumb.j

Edited by taichiplanet

I had to ditch the touring screen, didn't like it much anyway. About 2 days after i had the screen fitted it cracked. I think the mechanic may have done the mirror bolt up too tight, though it seems a bit strange that this can happen. Maybe it could have been a flaw in the screen or someone lent on it. Anyway i decided to get the black sports screen from Faddy but the price had gone up from THB 1,700 to THB 2,000 in about a week! So i thought it is gonna be a lot cheaper to paint the original sports screen black, sorta PCX style! :lol: It looks good, and even better cost only THB 300!

I also got the mechanic to do a tail tidy. I bought a couple of smaller rear indicators for THB 350, plus THB 100 for a relay. I got him to remove the whole rear section including the number plate light, and he made a cover plate and bracket for the number plate and new indicators.

I also got him to change the rear sprocket from a 43 to a 45 (and change the chain as well). Hard to say if any difference but it does seem much nicer to use, the gearing seems to be happier for riding in the city and as Kermit said, even out of town at around 100 kph i feel like changing up to 6th, while before it seemed to chug a bit. I suppose it has gotta to have better acceleration but it still isn't startling! :lol:

So now i am just waiting for the ECM/ECU and tyres. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (front 110/70, rear 140/70) are about 2 months away before being in stock and who knows when API-Tech get their act together with the ECM.

post-70604-0-41244000-1314360192_thumb.j

post-70604-0-92711400-1314360214_thumb.j

post-70604-0-64932900-1314360240_thumb.j

post-70604-0-05643000-1314360255_thumb.j

post-70604-0-01810500-1314360273_thumb.j

post-70604-0-10285700-1314360285_thumb.j

post-70604-0-01070700-1314360308_thumb.j

post-70604-0-69021700-1314360334_thumb.j

Nice stuff! The bikes looking really nice. Im trying out a new pipe tomorrow, The Namban Exhaust that was talked about in the 250 thread so ill be sure to post later on with some feedback.

Hey, I bought a CBR 150r around a month ago and am very pleased with it riding around Ching Mai. Just a few questions,

When I bought the CBR I knew there would be a few things need doing to it like buying new parts and stuff. The engine seems fine and runs nicely but i was just wondering where the best place to buy certain parts for a CBR.

For Example, Chain guard, The panels next to the dials, stickers, rear handle and even a respray of the fuel tank and a few other small parts. I have also had the problem of the lights dimming right down when pressing the break or using indicators. They dim down to completely off when it is idling which i find very annoying. Does anyone have the solution for this problem?

Also, what would other CBR riders suggest for the first mods of the bike as it is completely standard.

I left my bike untouched for a few days and I also got the moister problem. I have also had it riding in heavy rain. After a quick blast down a super highway on a dry day seemed to clear it out.

Richard

How does this bike hold up in the wet with the factory tyres?

I always ride mine quite cautiously around town in the wet, and watch all the Clicks and Mio's etc fly past me. I just wonder if I'm being over cautious.

No your not being over cautious. I really dont trust my CBR in the wet. my friend and I have a CBRs and they seem to lock up at the back very easy. Especially in the wet. Save the full throttle and knee down for a nice dry day!

Hey, I bought a CBR 150r around a month ago and am very pleased with it riding around Ching Mai. Just a few questions,

When I bought the CBR I knew there would be a few things need doing to it like buying new parts and stuff. The engine seems fine and runs nicely but i was just wondering where the best place to buy certain parts for a CBR.

For Example, Chain guard, The panels next to the dials, stickers, rear handle and even a respray of the fuel tank and a few other small parts. I have also had the problem of the lights dimming right down when pressing the break or using indicators. They dim down to completely off when it is idling which i find very annoying. Does anyone have the solution for this problem?

Also, what would other CBR riders suggest for the first mods of the bike as it is completely standard.

I left my bike untouched for a few days and I also got the moister problem. I have also had it riding in heavy rain. After a quick blast down a super highway on a dry day seemed to clear it out.

Richard

As for the lights dimming.. take it to a Honda shop ASAP... you have a problem with the regulater or battery. If i were you i would take it to a an Official Honda shop and get them to service the bike... also for tyres i had good results with Michelin pilot sporties.. much better grip than standard IRC's

Agree with Thaicbr...get it to the dealer for the lights dimming.

Tires can be a personal preference. The Michelin Pilot Sporty's are good, and so are the Bridgestone Batlax. Both about the same price.

Suggest you get the "tank guard" stickers to protect the tank from belt buckles, etc. Honda dealers usually carry 2 styles.

If you're like a lot of us, check the tightness of the chain after about a month. Mine, and those of a few others, managed to become loose, but a quick trip to Honda fixed that.

If you're looking for "respray" or "repaint", I know a very good shop in BoSang. I've taken my wife's car there a couple of times after she's managed to put some dings and nicks in it.

As for me, I did another 600k+ trip today. CMX to Phitsanuloc and back. No reason for going, other than just enjoying the ride. That is SUCH a fun drive!

Richard

The headlights run off of the alternator not the battery, at idle they will not be as bright as when the engine is in higher rpm's, should reach maximum illumination around 4k rpm.

Change battery (350 baht) 31500-KPP-901

The stock chain guard is part number : 40510-KW6-670...bolts to hold it in 95701-06016-07 (you'll need 2)

Rear Handle part number: 84100-KGC-900ZH...bolts to hold them in 96600-08040-00 (you'll need 4)

The panels on both sides of the gauges are part number: 64260-KPP-930 (right)...............64270-KPP-930 (left).....you must indicate the color. If your bike has a black frame they are all black colored, grey frame bikes come in colors of that specific bike. Screws to hold them in are part number ...90115-KPP-900 (you'll need 4) You'll also need two clips for the lower screws unless you already have them 90677-KAN-TOO (you'll need 2)

Get the parts from Honda on Kaew nawarat road on the way to arcade bus station coming from the moat. DO NOT go in the morning go around 2-3 pm...Write down the part numbers and give it to them unless you want to go through excruciating pain trying to explain what you need. In the mornings they are very busy.

The best mod for an older bike , is to go to Honda and get the valves reshimmed back to factory spec. If you do anything do this first, little shops wont know how to do it, go to the dealer. Also replace the fuel valve (200 baht) and carb needle (80 baht) as safety precautions these 2 like to go and leave you stranded on older CBR 150's.

Keep the chain well oiled as well, it will rob as much as 25% acceleration from you when its completely dry (just oiled mine today).

As far as mods read my post about the sparkplug and wire.

Edited by KRS1

KRS1... Remember my "above-idle" rough running problem? I checked all the seals and the vacuum safety valve and they were fine. I noticed a lot of wear on the needle valve and I wanted my usual shop to dig into it but they insisted I needed a whole new carb at over 4000 baht. Took it to Nayom Pannich in CM and they replaced the needle, seat, and slide body so I am back in business. Turns out the high vibration in the engine wears those parts out over time. (I have over 40,000 km on the odometer.) I've had four good years with my old shop but I think it's time for a change!

Edited by T_Dog

oooooh, your sooooo lucky you caught the needle before it broke, had it happen to 2 previous CBR's, one of them i just let melt away, the other one got stuck in the valve, had to tear that one down.

40k huh? My bike is approaching that, but i just changed the needle yesterday (coincidence), wonder if changing the whole slide and diaphram would do it even more good.

Here is my needle, the area where its worn on the tip is the part that likes to break off and fly into the cylinder.

Did your needle look even worse than this one?

steppedneedlewear.jpg

Edited by KRS1

I had a needle break off a few months back, but it must have passed all the way through like a good little grape seed! The one my old mechanic put in was a used one as it was the only one he had that had that gave a lean run on the flats so it didn't get too rich up in the mountains where we like to take trips and where he engine really saps out if you don't jet it right. If I can find the needle I'll try to get a photo. Your advice to replace that 80 baht item occasionally is spot on.

By the way if you are over 30k, you have probably replaced the cam chain by now. Hard to hear the "rapping" sound of an old chain until someone points it out, but a new chain takes care of it in case you haven't done that yet.

When i changed plugs , one of the rattling noises stopped. Not sure what it was but i think it was the valve train.

Cant seem to find jets for this carb, have a source? I want to try raising the needle again with a different jet.

Edited by KRS1

Cant seem to find jets for this carb, have a source? I want to try raising the needle again with a different jet.

The rapping sound for me sounded a lot like the rear foot pegs rattling! Give it a touch of throttle when parked and let it go back to idle. As it returns to idle, you can hear a low pitch buzz, more like a rapping from the chain.

Not sure what Nayom Pannich put in but that would be one source. Some of the racing shops around Chang Puak Gate area should have them in stock too, but sometimes used.

Already checked Chang Puak - no go, tried Honda on Kaew Nawarat- no go, maybe i'll give Niyom a shot.

NSR carb is in my sights if i cant find jets. Every shop seems to have jets for this carb

Here are the photos of my problem needle. The offending wear is located about 1 cm from the flange end. The retainer area near the flange is worn as well, asymmetrically. This was a used needle put in about 5 months ago.

Sure is nice to have the engine running with nice throttle response fidelity again! The surging and dying just above idle made maneuvering in traffic a pain. I am sure it would start to vibrate at that RPM, mess up the mixture/fuel flow, and cause the problem.

post-498-0-61309200-1314685122_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-68678900-1314685139_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-87838400-1314685154_thumb.jpg

post-139216-0-63181700-1314686131_thumb.post-139216-0-03923000-1314686010_thumb.post-139216-0-16094200-1314685939_thumb.Greetings to all!!!

I have bought the Honda CBR150R last year (1/27/2010). Very good motorcycle, became as native, but already I want to change on more powerful motorcycle.

Whether it will be interesting to somebody:

I sell the motorcycle. In an excellent condition, run of all 12000км, 45000 in Bangkok.

post-139216-0-16094200-1314685939_thumb.Jack

Here are the photos of my problem needle. The offending wear is located about 1 cm from the flange end. The retainer area near the flange is worn as well, asymmetrically. This was a used needle put in about 5 months ago.

Sure is nice to have the engine running with nice throttle response fidelity again! The surging and dying just above idle made maneuvering in traffic a pain. I am sure it would start to vibrate at that RPM, mess up the mixture/fuel flow, and cause the problem.

Does the wear on that needle go completely around ?can't tell in the pic. The needle i changed says C 32 A at the top, any chance you can still read the number on yours?

Im pretty sure my slide and rubber diaphram are still good, but now im wondering since our bikes have similar mileage whether i should change it out. Not having any throttling issues though.

Does the wear on that needle go completely around ?can't tell in the pic. The needle i changed says C 32 A at the top, any chance you can still read the number on yours?

Im pretty sure my slide and rubber diaphram are still good, but now im wondering since our bikes have similar mileage whether i should change it out. Not having any throttling issues though.

KRS1... No, the wear does not go all the way around. It is asymmetrical wear at both the flange and down the taper. There is a definite ridge that you can feel down the taper.

The slide diaphragm was in good shape, but there was a lot of wear on the sides of the slider itself. 900 baht to replace it but the tech recommended it so I went with it.

As I said earlier, the throttle fidelity is much better, and I had a chance to drive it hard this afternoon. It seems to do better at the top end as well. I don't think a worn out needle valve vibrating around does anything for performance! I would recommend doing this for any CBR-150 right at 30,000 km to avoid these problems. So far, this is the only weak point of the engine I have found. We've taken a lot of trips up North two-up, hitting the revs hard all the time up in the mountains where you have to. Great little engine.

Edited by T_Dog

Alright cool man thanks, im going to pull the slide and check out wear tomorrow. This bike was pampered by the previous owner so it may not be that bad.

Will check sonic needles also and see what the difference is. girl at the parts place said there was a #930 needle, CBR 150 is #931

Sometimes it pays to be persistent. When I bought my tri color, the first one sold in Chiang Mai, it came with the Platinum Package which included, among other things, a helmet. Except they didn't have any at the time, so they knocked 1,000 baht off the price of the bike. They finally came out with helmets with the same design/color scheme as the tri color 150. One with plastic face shield, one a full face. I love HJC the full face, but not at the price of 2,390 baht.

I had bought a REAL helmet, which is good, solid white, and today I stopped at Honda to see if maybe they could just order me the decals from the full face and I could put them on mine. Sorry, can't do that I was told by a girl who actually speaks some English, which is new. So, I patiently explained to her that I've bought FOUR bikes from them in the past 3 years. New Airblade, New Scoopy, and TWO CBR 150's, and that when I bought my tri-color I didn't get the helmet I was supposed to get.

To make a long story short, after a bit of negotiating, they agreed to sell me the full face at a discount. They did some checking on the computer, then wrote down a price of 1,990. I took the pen and scratched that out and wrote 1750. The girl and another guy talked for a while, and she finally looked at me, smiled and said "Ok".

It look SOOOOO good with my bike, as well as the tri-color jacket I also bought a while back. lol

Nice one.

That platinum package is great.

Free spark plug, air filter, 6 free oils, a few deep cleans, and a few more bits and pieces I think.

All gotta be used by the 15th of Jan next year, though, so best use 'em.

I've got the 250 and presume the platinum package is the same.

Helmet styling sounds great btw.

The tri-colour helmet looks good. There is also the red one and black one (the 3 different colours also come in open face helmets too) but i do like the quality of the REAL Helmets. Besides i think the Honda/HJC helmets only come in Large and XL, while the REALs go from Small to XXL. I might go for the REAL Stealth Classic which has the Thai flag on it. Though i have been working on a design to get airbrushed.

post-70604-0-68976800-1315060067_thumb.j

post-70604-0-36716100-1315060085_thumb.j

post-70604-0-04528500-1315060102_thumb.j

Edited by taichiplanet

Started to play around with the sprockets today, I went from the stock 15/43 (new FI model) to a 15/45. It accelerates only slightly quicker but its definately noticeable. Top speed doesnt seem to have changed too much, before redlining in 5th you could reach around 146kmh now it seemed like 139-140kmh was the max i didnt actually try 6th gear out today because i needed to slow for traffic so im not sure if ill be able to find any pull in 6th now. 6th was pretty useless before unless you had the time and free space to keep on going for a top speed or if you just wanted to cruise at lower revs. Ive got a 14 tooth front sprocket lying around as well so i might try a 14/45 or probably better yet a 14/43. Has anyone else changed sprockets on the new model yet?

I'm running the 15/45 now. The best i could do was 131 kph (indicated) in 6th. There was a headwind and i didn't tuck in at all. I only tried it twice on the same stretch of road so maybe more can be found. For my use (city and the 10 km run home) it is much nicer than the stock 15/43.