The Sixpack Diary (A Dog Topic)

The Sixpack are "our" dogs. The original thought was one, maybe two, perhaps three in some distant future. Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Trying not to whine about that, and hopefully won't get too many lectures on bad decisions taken. **** happens. Seeking information or advice as how to handle things.

So three days ago, we took charge of the first installment. Enter Tarn - a "soy dog" (but the cleanest, nicest one) who managed to charm us and neighbors in previous house. About 3 years old, recently spayed courtesy of a charmed neighbor vet, very TLC focused, hardly cares about food (and picky at that). Mellow, playful, likes other dogs company (generally). After one "down" night, she took the new place (grass lawn, sand pile being highlights). No issues staying out or alone, that's what she knows. Safe place under the Mrs.'s Mazda 2 (a tight squeeze, that). As wide belatedly realized, "very difficult to find a good dog like her".

Yesterday, after many delays (I know, wasn't my call, doing or even fully under control) we brought in Elsa (the lioness, not the animation movie). Elsa is about 5 months old, smallish, aggressive, an explorer and very food oriented. The runt of the litter, and the only female, she was my first choice of the lot. Took her first with the intention of getting her spayed asap, as to avoid the circumstances of her own birth. Up to now, she's been living with her three brothers, Mom and aging "auntie" in MiL's garden. No training, hardly any discipline, and the group starting to make the neighbors annoyed.

Had a bad ride home, longer than expected, so shot the chance of spending more daytime getting her settled. While the welcoming party was enthusiastic, the newcomer was having none of it. Gone were the family, the MiL's shaded garden, and the collection of shoes stolen from neighbors. Plus the other dog. Half whine, half snarl whenever getting to close, goes so far as to bare teeth and even try to charge (fearless....). Tarn was  taking it well, mostly, but afraid to leave them unsupervised, as things could get out of hand.

She also didn't care for the big cage (lucky we got that one), and there wasn't enough time to get her familiar with it much. In she went anyway, and after some crying and whining, fell asleep. Me too, sitting outside keeping company. Cage is in the parking (walled and roofed), next to the car Tarn's under. Bad night for me, anyway. Guilt, I guess.

Woke up at dawn, the prisoner was properly ecstatic for the savior's coming, more guilt there. And off we go to tour the grounds. She's leashed, or she'll have a go at Tarn, so chalk a new so so experience there. Tarn was her usual I'm-the-best-dog-ever, trying to play and all, but more or less same result. A couple of times lost her patience and snarled, lashed at the youngster. Couldn't tell if it was serious or disciplinary. Each time things got heated up, picked Elsa, walked a few steps, put her down. This seems to confuse/reset her, but doesn't solve the problem. Tried tying her in garden, went badly as the other one came to play and they clashed again. Loath to tie Tarn, as she's not familiar to that either, and hardly fair. Can't have her collared full time while going under the car, as she might get stuck. When Elsa is dog tired, they can lie down very near, and get their TLC dosages. Wake up and it's back to normal.

Had to take a break for late breakfast, put her in the cage, crying/whining about 20-30 minutes on and off, then mostly quiet. Wondering how to advance from here. Maybe try tying the older one and see how that works, or maybe just keep plodding with what's we've been doing so far.

The Mrs. seems a bit disappointed/surprised/shocked/worried at things not going smoothly. Given that most of the other members of the Sixpack will probably be even more difficult, that's probably not a misplaced sentiment. Could have gone with I-told-you, but futile and counterproductive.

Any advice or information would be appreciated. If nothing else, posting here may help my focus my thoughts and plans. Thanks all, picture coming soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Lol i think you exersise! Not read forward! Cheers

I had a mental bet if someone will make a gym comment or a beer comment :smile:.

But it's also true, kinda....getting some extra exercise both with the dogs and doing related garden stuff. Had a a few truck loads of rocks/boulders delivered, setting them at bottom of fences. A bit of lifting there.

The Mrs. made a longer (~3m') leash, which improved things some. The lil' one can roam without being too close to the older girl, and the latter can get TLC at the same time, win win. Still don't trust them to stay alone unsupervised, so same sleeping arrangements in place. Also, noticed some trouble spots (mainly the sand pile) that for some unknown reason result in a clash the second they get there.

Trying not to worry about how the next installations would go, and how to tackle the interactions getting more complicated. Better focus on the hear and now, and what small steps made.

Tarn's pic attached, Elsa is trickier as I need both hands when she's out and about. 

tarn1.jpg

• Like 1

Not much progress on the attitude issue, things can go smoothly (more or less) for a short while, then...who knows...BOOM. And once junior is into it, not easy calming her down or taking her mind off it. The older one still mostly treats it as a game, or ignores it, guess lucky. Older girl is effected, though. Whines a bit for attention, and a slipper found it's way to the driveway. Both new behavior for her.

That positive thinking thing is all very well. But finally managed to get some professional view on the situation. Key bits were:

1. My heart's in the right place, but I'm an idiot.

2. We're not talking about five socializing  circles, each time the whole gang will need to readjust and figure the new hierarchy etc.

3. More likely to see the resident dog absorb unwanted behavior from the newcomers.

4. Doing what we're doing/planning to do, most likely will end up with an improved version of their current undisciplined state, with resident dog being effected. 

5. Bringing in a professional trainer - costly, hard to find English speaking, and will probably recommend a bunch of extra infrastructure projects (kennels etc.)

6. His advice - keep the resident, get the others to a decent shelter (in exchange for sponsoring/donation), deal with guilt issues, and learn lesson.

Loath to take his advice, but the more I try to imagine how things could work out, it does look problematic and in his words, messing your own life to better the dogs' is nice, but stupid - you (or your family) will come to resent them.

Looked up info on options. Not too many that seem likely, a couple up in Kanchanaburi seem the more likely/better places. Still haven't contacted them, though. Finding it hard to make this decision and not feel like a traitor. Surprisingly, the Mrs. is not in favor of the shelter path.

While posting this, the alarm was sounded, turns out resident dog figured out how to go under the fence. Not too worried about her causing trouble, and she comes back when called. The other ones, though, that is one of the reasons there's pressure to take them. And they are way more clever when it comes to such things.

And then there were two...

Well, that was a short experiment.

On the home front, the young and restless didn't show much sign of improved attitude. Things would go as well as can be expected, then she'd simply lose it and go after the older girl. And not play attack either, got claw and tooth marks in the process. Old girl was getting agitated, picking up stupid behaviors, losing her patience with the new addition and expressing jealousy/discontent.

Meanwhile at MiL's place, the wild bunch was stepping up its game - neighbors clearly unhappy, and heard of some threats made (to dogs). There might have been some almost-accident involving a passing vehicle, but more than one version. Also, more bullying of MiL's resident old dog, and the neighbors' pooch. Pressure to sort things out quickly, before things came to a head, became significant.

Set down with the Mrs. to reassess options. Most detailed in previous posts. Seemed like no matter which path taken, there won't be any magic solution, or one that will be answer our wishes and capability, Dogs' welfare, and maintaining a reasonable way of life. Basically it came down to a choice what to sacrifice. We ended up putting ourselves first. Maybe selfish, maybe irresponsible - I've no good answer for that. What I try telling myself is that the caregiver's welfare is not less important, and that as things stood we were to enter a situation which would take its toll on us, our relationship and our feelings towards the dogs. Not everyone can, or is willing, to make their life revolve around this to the level required.

Pestered many related organizations, shelters, website owners and such, trying to find the best alternative place for the dogs. Almost all of them were nice, sympathetic and as helpful as can. Short of taking in the dogs, that is. Apparently the Corona/Covid-19 reality made a difficult state of things into a worse one - no foreign volunteers, less donations, more dogs/pups thrown out. We were humbled by many of the people contacted, and ended up putting many on our future donation lists. The other takeaway from this is that as far as someone else taking over, good deeds are a problem. Meaning, it would have been easier to get help if the dogs weren't cared for, or were in a bad way. If there's some sort of alternative care in place, then the situation is less of a crisis as far as organizations/shelters go. Yet another moral conundrum to ponder.

Anyway, managed to find a shelter not too far away. Nothing great, nothing I'm deluding myself is nice for the dogs. Yes, they won't be poisoned, or hurt anyone, but that's not much of a horizon. Lady and driver who came to pick them up were nice, though. Was an emotional day, that's for sure. Trying not to imagine too much, eat the guilt, shame and get on with life. Was kinda surprised how much it affected the Mrs., not much of a dog person.

Set outside drinking with "our" dog last night. She's kinda good at picking up vibes, comforting.