Calling internationally to Amazon

I am currently out of Thailand. Amazon has two numbers one for domestic and Canada and one for international. The domestic is a toll free number and the international is a number I think you can call and reverse the charges. I remember being told charges can only be reversed if you are calling from a landline. I seem to remember that I could call a toll free number from my cell in Thailand. I have no idea what I was charged but I am thinking it was better to call the toll free number than the toll number. But I am guessing.

Does anyone know for certain which number would be best to call and why?

Not sure why you would be asking this question in a Thai forum. The cost of a call from an unknown country to the US, or whether you can call a domestic toll free number or reverse charges is nothing to do with Thailand. Any toll free or reverse charge call does not cover the local mobile charges.

Probably better to enquire in the country you are in, whether the domestic number is even accessible from where you are (probably not as its a domestic number), whether the country you are in has the option to do international reverse charge calls etc.

Contact and issues with Amazon can be done via Amazons website, online chat, email etc

Edited by Peterw42

On 8/29/2020 at 4:02 PM, Matzzon said:

Any of them. If you need to call, you need to call. It´s one phone call you are talking about. I doubt it will ruin your budget and future life.

I guess I was more curious to know if people called toll free numbers to America because I was led to believe that wasn't possible. It doesn't matter if it costs.

56 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I guess I was more curious to know if people called toll free numbers to America because I was led to believe that wasn't possible. It doesn't matter if it costs.

Mostly doesn´t work, for me anyway. I just call the direct number all the time. 

If you wish to call cheap to America from Thailand you can do that with Skype. They have great subscriptions starting from unlimited call for one month from 3 usd. Also includes unlimited calls to Puerto Rico and Guam. If you wish to include Canada as well. The total cost will be about 4 dollars. That includes unlimited calls to both mobiles and landlines.

Edited by Matzzon

27 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Mostly doesn´t work, for me anyway. I just call the direct number all the time. 

If you wish to call cheap to America from Thailand you can do that with Skype. They have great subscriptions starting from unlimited call for one month from 3 usd. Also includes unlimited calls to Puerto Rico and Guam. If you wish to include Canada as well. The total cost will be about 4 dollars. That includes unlimited calls to both mobiles and landlines.

I normally call 1800 numbers using Skype free of charge.

Skype can be used to call toll free numbers without any special subscription.

The following countries and number ranges are supported and are free of charge to all users:

France: +33 800, +33 805, +33 809
Poland: +48 800
UK: +44 500, +44 800, +44 808
USA: +1 800, +1 866, +1 877, +1 888
Taiwan: +886 80

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa10613/how-do-i-make-a-call-in-skype

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

The following countries and number ranges are supported and are free of charge to all users:

Ok, that was more than I was aware of. Never calling those numbers. How ever, it is cheap to have subscription, and it can be used to get a lower price to friends and family at the same time. Especially when you have contact with old people that hates Internet and technology. ????????

On 8/30/2020 at 10:06 PM, sanmyintmaung said:

Thanks for your informative and clear options.  Can I call those numbers on my Thai mobile without skype? Less importantly, are they free to call on  my Thai mobile? I just need to know what numbers I can call on my mobile since it is so difficult to connect to a business due to the time difference and being placed on hold for a long time.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:06 PM, sanmyintmaung said:

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Thanks for your informative and clear options.  Can I call those numbers on my Thai mobile without skype? Less importantly, are they free to call on  my Thai mobile? I just need to know what numbers I can call on my mobile since it is so difficult to connect to a business due to the time difference and being placed on hold for a long time.

Free calls to toll free numbers above are only by using Skype.

You will not be able to use Thai mobile to call those toll free numbers directly.

We have a slightly different package in that we subscribe annually to a Skype Unlimited World contract from the UK. This allows us to call landlines and mobiles in many countries at no additional cost from the UK. The default package is only to landlines but by paying a small annual premium [circa GBP 5.00] also includes mobile numbers.

Anyway, this package also includes a very useful option to call landlines and mobiles in the UK when we're abroad at no additional cost through the Skype smartphone app which is VoIP.  Used it plenty of times to call UK numbers from abroad and never had a problem.  

On 9/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, sanmyintmaung said:

Free calls to toll free numbers above are only by using Skype.

You will not be able to use Thai mobile to call those toll free numbers directly.

I seem to remember I successfully called toll free numbers on my Thai mobile. Has anyone done that? Being free isn't as important as being able to call. Though I must say when I call a number and automatically get placed on perpetual hold I do start to think about the cost because I have no idea what calling a toll free number on my mobile costs. I can only assume it would be charged same as any other number. True?