Farmers call for reconsideration of chemical ban

rooster59

Farmers call for reconsideration of chemical ban

Praphorn Praphornkul

51978d52422b5783a5d32614e37fdaa4_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Farmers from the Agricultural Safety Association and the Federation of Safe Agriculture met with the Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, Chalermchai Sri-on, to discuss revocation of paraquat and chlorpyrifos ban from August 29, as no alternatives have been provided.

The representatives asked the minister to send a memorandum to the dangerous substances committee, urging it to reconsider the banning of the chemicals and instead limit usage, as has been done with glyphosate, saying the approach would have less impact. At the same time, they asked that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Ministry of Public Health and Department of Livestock Development suspend their imports of the two substances immediately, rather than in June next year, as it would benefit certain businesses to the detriment of public health.

Agricultural Safety Association President Sukan Sangwanna expressed his belief that, even if paraquat and chlorpyrifos are taken off shelves, they would continue to be bought illegally as no replacements have been identified.

The Department of Agriculture has mandated that both chemicals be turned over by farmers within 90 days of August 29, and by retailers within 270 days or before February 25, 2021. Those who fail to comply could be fined 1 million baht.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-08-30

1 hour ago, bodga said:

no  problem got 50  litres of paraquat and i  hear they ARE  still  selling it  but have put a  different label  on the  container saying its something else.

It's available in our area.....bigger bottle and different label.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, just go out and spray it. Then you can feel the satisfaction of poisoning some more people. Don´t forget to eat everything yourself to. Take a BIG bite!

While I do think there needs to be a different, probably safer, alternative it has to be at a reasonable price.  The last box of Glyphosate (6 x 5L) we bought was 460 baht/5L. If you come up with something safer to replace it at the same price,  or maybe a bit more,  we will be on it reasonably priced alternative like a rat on a KFC chicken wing!  Glyphosate will be gone forever once you name the reasonably priced alternative.  Can you name the reasonably priced alternative???  Playing the devils advocate: Are you one of the numpties that don't care if we pay 2 or 3 or 4 times as much for the current less effective alternative?  Like we don't deserve to make a living as long as you get what you want???

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes I am one of those numpties that does not care if you pay 3 or 4 times for a less effectie alternative. We dont want you poisoning us to make your living.

Do you believe that you have been poisoned by these chemicals? Are you dying or in good health?

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

So matzzon, you reckon Ecological farming is the way to go, maybe  back in time was easier as the area farmed was a lot less....yes?  Are you farming yourself per chance?  Using farming techniques from 200 years ago?  Are you making a living?  If you are,  good for you.  As for myself and the wife we look at what the modern farmer has in the way of tools to use to produce a crop and make a living. Not locked in the past but open minded.  And being lazy maybe a luxury you can afford, but not I.  Yesterday I spent 4 hours hand weeding my experimental Moringa Oleifera plantation and have another 5 +/- hours to go.  A lot of that time on my hands and knees.  Then watering dozens of new papaya and dozens of young mango trees with buckets from the water drum on the trailer.  Like I said "being lazy maybe a luxury you can afford".  Any you say there are alternatives.   Do share the name and price of one of your alternatives.  Do tell.  I think we all would like to know. 

Don't get upset GJ. They are only supermarket farmers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Do you believe that you have been poisoned by these chemicals? Are you dying or in good health?

I am convinced that the stuff is banned in civilized countries for a reason.  Its been investigated and deemed unsafe. But farmers love to put their needs before those of others. GJ is a great example and there are many. Seen them in my country and others too. 

So are you an better expert then those that reviewed this product and found it unsafe ? could you give me your credentials ?

I don't claim to be smarter then those that investigated it but I do claim they know what they are talking about and unlike farmers are not bias as they have nothing to gain or lose.

https://www.dw.com/en/whats-driving-europes-stance-on-glyphosate/a-53924882

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

If really read article's about chemicals and other stuff what use in farming! You can't eat nothing ! everything give you cancer !Why in water bottle has expired day? Its have been here millions years but when they put that in bottle its ruined! LOL

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am convinced that the stuff is banned in civilized countries for a reason.  Its been investigated and deemed unsafe. But farmers love to put their needs before those of others. GJ is a great example and there are many. Seen them in my country and others too. 

So are you an better expert then those that reviewed this product and found it unsafe ? could you give me your credentials ?

I don't claim to be smarter then those that investigated it but I do claim they know what they are talking about and unlike farmers are not bias as they have nothing to gain or lose.

https://www.dw.com/en/whats-driving-europes-stance-on-glyphosate/a-53924882

You did not answer either question.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, just go out and spray it. Then you can feel the satisfaction of poisoning some more people. Don´t forget to eat everything yourself to. Take a BIG bite!

I  usually  have a  totty at night

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Actually it will demand a little bit more work,

as in a LOT  more and theres a  total lack of workforce willing to do manual work in Thailand........but  you'd  know all that, right?

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am convinced that the stuff is banned in civilized countries for a reason

one reason paraquat was  banned was the reason of suicide, but to be fair they should also ban vehicles which can accomplish the same, then tall  building, knives , guns, and excessive  farting..........all can  kill you

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its been investigated and deemed unsafe

when used incorrectly, in Thailand they pay  no  attention to protective clothing whatsoever but imo thats their problem, see  many doing it in flip flops, I can use it perfectly safely.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bodga said:

when used incorrectly, in Thailand they pay  no  attention to protective clothing whatsoever but imo thats their problem, see  many doing it in flip flops, I can use it perfectly safely.

That is the problem most farmers are stupid and don't know how to handle it . You are now talking about paraquat but that was not the only one banned the others can get in food. Paraquat has indeed a really low chance to get in the food. So I would not be to worried about it if idiots poison themselves with it that is their problem. 

2 minutes ago, bodga said:

and  will you be  happy to pay 3-4 times the price for "healthy living"

A stupid remark but that is probably because you did not think long enough.

No need to pay 3-4 times more as the chemicals dont represent 100% of the cost of farming. So a 4 fold increase of its cost would not result in foods being 4x more expensive.

And yes I am perfectly willing to pay more for food that has no chemicals in it. 

I don't really see the problem if nobody can use it then prices will rise and the market will show what price people are willing to pay. Farmers will get more money for their product. Its not as if the people can buy farm products that are cheaper because the ban is country wide.

Of course they would also have to make sure that imported stuff cant use the same chemicals for a level playing field.

• Like 1

Its telling how all the farmers or hobby farmers are instantly talking about money. They really don't care if they poison people at all. Almost all defending the use are quickly talking about money and don't mention the dangers.

Really does show the mindset of these farmers, and why things should be banned because they certainly won't change without any pressure. 

Of course if a ban isn't country wide I can understand because then those who actually do care would lose out as their products are more expensive because of an uneven playing field. 

• Like 1