The week that was in Thailand news: You’ve been framed! Nah – it’s just living in Thailand!

rooster59

27 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The difference between “nathee” (minutes) and “winathee” (seconds) can make all the difference!

Lost in translation:

At the works canteen, asking at the food counter for more: "kor winathee krap"

It's my futile fertile imagination again.

Just a side note for the Minister of Tourism : ......  in 6 months , there will be no more Soi-7,8,13 and Walking Street in Pattaya .  Better plan a BIG parking lot or a cheap Fresh Market for those out of work Thai people or just create a PARK with nice green space and children playground .....

Edited by kg1947
spacing ....

Thank you, as always, for your excellent summing up of the week’s farces. He’s behind you. Another one to add to your collection. 

Did I really fume when asking for a mention of cricket?

• Haha 1

Wonderful read again Rooster! I enjoy a lot to read your column every Sunday as part of my breakfast routine.

Would be intersting to know a little bit about the usual feedback from your Thai friends and colleagues at Thaivisa, whenever you shine a light on these daily embarrassments of the Thai machinery of officialdom. Do they generally agree with you? And, did you ever get some feedback from the officials themselves? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Why do they name these killers after women? Is it a mother nature thing? Surely Hurricane Vladimir would have a better ring.

From the US National Hurricane Center:

"The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men's and women's names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico."

From EarthSky.org:

"Here are the hurricane names for 2020:

"Atlantic hurricane names (season runs from June 1 to November 30) are Arthur (May 2020), Bertha (May 2020), Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gonzalo, Hanna, Isaias, Josephine, Kyle, Laura, Marco, Nana, Omar, Paulette, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, and Wilfred."

In fact Marco (a tropical storm) and Laura (a hurricane) both struck the US this past week.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I refer, of course, to the five-part trilogy that is The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In book two, Ford Prefect states...

"There is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself from going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."

yes, and the beloved PM just speaks vogon poetry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The new joke of the day was to read about submarines... (but electricity cut every rainy days and every windy days). Looks like they don't know what priority and logic are meaning.

The bad joke of the week was the dirty idea for human's respect to imagine a kind of "tourism jail tour", like if people (tourists) will go to see animals in a zoo ? I think not only farang will be outraged by this kind of tourism, also Thai people themselves and everyone psychologically healthy. Actually in the world, the zoo is already something in question about morality... 

Ho... you should also observe quickly (a scoop for you guys) that the COVID pandemic is soon totally finish. The asymptomatic people tested will never die and the virus power is close to a little flu. Sorry for big Pharma company's ambition to get big money back from imposed vaccine by force, but... the plan failed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It seems the police have thought through the price of traffic fines. When they were high, maybe people could not afford to pay off the arresting officer with a percentage of the fine on the spot. By lowering the fines, people can now afford the necessary bribe and continue to avoid justice. 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

From the US National Hurricane Center:

"The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men's and women's names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico."

Aussie cyclones too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grobec said:

Well I think we have to blame it all on the Brits
there is such a think as “British humour” also known as Monty Python Syndrome. Not to say it is a bad thing, but That to other “cultures” there is slack of understanding how really funny sarcasm can be when used “tongue in cheek” and not viciously.

when a less “ indoctrinated” soul tries to join the fun the part that flew over their heads leaves only the ragged edges to carry the flag for.

so you see the Brits are to blame.

????????????????????????

I'm not English, but i am in admiration about how they can talk about serious things with lot of humor.

That way to practice is absolutely wrong in Thailand as it should easily be seen as a provocation and would become a situation of "loosing face" (so dangerous).

But studies around humor show that there is two side (positive and negative), one is to be a kind of provocation and a way to decrease the value of a subject, to make it less important than it is (in terms of perception by some). The other part is to remove emotion and show how it can be ridiculous and so bad to apply some non inadapted statement.

Humor is by the time selective because for understand humor, we should be intelligent more than emotive and if aptitude is from born, ability to use intelligence and positive evolution is not free... it ask some intellectual works and skills to practice all the time... so it is a kind of luxury, that is why, most of the time, humans evolution changes comes from students and intellectual people.

By the way, i appreciate a lot Monthy Python humor, who is not the best measured humor from England to... they often have this aptitude for having a much finer and more suggestive humor than the Monthy Python shows. Much more than French people can do most of the time.

So yes, i follow you on that, but it is actually not adapted for Thailand culture (and for all the Asian culture also).

As you say, the indoctrination is quite strong, but also the customs and traditions are very different. In fact, just showing what is negative to an Asian is negative. Which makes it more delicate. However, it can also suggest that with a strong conviction and a lot of beautiful thoughts, things can move forward in peace. Unfortunately, when the management is deaf, it becomes very complicated (but ... whatever the communication method used, when the management chooses to hear only what it wants, it is always complicated and it is a problem).
On this point, studies of rhetoric show that in this specific case, it is more effective to be persuasive than to be convincing, since the debate no longer has its place, everything becomes influence and manipulation. .
Unfortunately at present, the people do not know it, as it is studied in large schools whose vocation is to sell and not to make people think. In fact, the very influential people who know these rhetorical techniques are those skillful salespeople who are lobbyists and who influence a power in place (and a whole people who have become consumers) in the most effective way possible.
will it change? Who can tell?

this is kind of English humor i like the most (who use ironic a lot):

Edited by jerolamo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

"Atlantic hurricane names (season runs from June 1 to November 30) are Arthur (May 2020), Bertha (May 2020), Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gonzalo, Hanna, Isaias, Josephine, Kyle, Laura, Marco, Nana, Omar, Paulette, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, and Wilfred."

So! Why is'nt there a Jimmy???

2 hours ago, jerolamo said:

The new joke of the day was to read about submarines... (but electricity cut every rainy days and every windy days). Looks like they don't know what priority and logic are meaning.

The bad joke of the week was the dirty idea for human's respect to imagine a kind of "tourism jail tour", like if people (tourists) will go to see animals in a zoo ? I think not only farang will be outraged by this kind of tourism, also Thai people themselves and everyone psychologically healthy. Actually in the world, the zoo is already something in question about morality... 

Ho... you should also observe quickly (a scoop for you guys) that the COVID pandemic is soon totally finish. The asymptomatic people tested will never die and the virus power is close to a little flu. Sorry for big Pharma company's ambition to get big money back from imposed vaccine by force, but... the plan failed.

Not finished. Work in progress.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

this is kind of English humor i like the most (who use ironic a lot):

When I first saw this it was in text form ... and the "expert" was described as an Engineer. I didn't think it very funny (I'm English language native with engineering degrees) so I wrote a response explaining how actually all the requirements could be met (it involved 11-dimensional space and parts of the model moving at appropriate speed to achieve colour shift). I got a request from a Lecturer at a University to use my response in their coursework, . That was funny.

• Haha 1

'And in further good sense, City Hall is spending two million baht on a mobile sterilization unit after a scary increase in the number of stray cats and dogs during the pandemic. Many have been abandoned by people laid off and going home. Rooster is convinced by the arguments that sterilization is a better answer than just culling.'

How can sterilization, then leaving the dogs to suffer and be a road menace and crapping, barking and posing a danger in large groups of wild animals possibly be a better answer than dead dogs? So much hypocrisy about killing dogs, thousands of animals are slaughtered for meat eaters every day, some animals are not more equal then others. If people can be found to kill cows, pigs and sheep they can be found to kill a few million dog pests. Sterilization is not the answer, it is just slightly slowing the population growth,

31 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

When I first saw this it was in text form ... and the "expert" was described as an Engineer. I didn't think it very funny (I'm English language native with engineering degrees) so I wrote a response explaining how actually all the requirements could be met (it involved 11-dimensional space and parts of the model moving at appropriate speed to achieve colour shift). I got a request from a Lecturer at a University to use my response in their coursework, . That was funny.

so... i have an other one for you my friend:

and maybe much more this one:

The actors play their role very well.

4 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Would be intersting to know a little bit about the usual feedback from your Thai friends and colleagues at Thaivisa, whenever you shine a light on these daily embarrassments of the Thai machinery of officialdom. Do they generally agree with you? And, did you ever get some feedback from the officials themselves? 

I wondered that as well.   Rooster must have some powerful friends .   Heck,  I just use the word foolish in a post and its "  Rumak, go sit on the beach for a few days" 

Oh well,  the roasting of the ruling crass is always my favorite.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I wondered that as well.   Rooster must have some powerful friends .   Heck,  I just use the word foolish in a post and its "  Rumak, go sit on the beach for a few days" 

Oh well,  the roasting of the ruling crass is always my favorite.  

Wow, "foolish" was already sufficient? Interesting. Beeing quite here new as an active poster, I already hat two post deleted.

One of 'em as a troll post, to which I agree and which I accept. It was a troll post of me, as a reply to one of Stevens photos of his beloved general to which I reposted another photo of the general, without any comment. But the other post was deleted as "off-topic" which clearly wasn't the case. It was about if the purchase of the subs still can be canceled, denying this and stating some info about the Thai-Chinese connections, and as a reference a link about how the Chinese did on the Philippines. Hardly off-topic. Wonder if my post really was read, or if it was censored for political reasons.

Rooster,

On the note of returning Tourists...

Someone is definitely Dreaming. Most available bodies able to travel here, have one to two weeks Vacation a year!

Thinking these people would "Blow it... In Lock up for 14 days!!

20 years ago before Unions and Corporations decided to pocket Workers Benefits, you might have been able to get 4 weeks ( Then only if you started working at age 10. Most were at a max of two weeks, some Benefit plans let you roll over to after 2 years have total accumulated at two weeks x two years, a total of Four weeks.

But still....

Where do these Kids in Politics Dream up these Stupid Ideas!! Must be because of their Work Habits and ethics... Think the Whole World is on the Same I.Q. levels...

Think about it.... To spend entire faction... About 90% of your funds being in some <deleted>##in Hotel, and never see daylight??? Who is the Stupid one here?? At least at home in some Countries I can still get a Beer and enjoy a "Lap-Dance"

Further down the Road... In regards to Civic 19... Who wants to step up and sue the U.S. Department of Desease Center in Atlanta for having kept hidden the fact that they created, patterned it, hold all the authority on who can get and use it... Why have they stuffed up their Are the fix. I have Video of Major Dr. Finally spilling the Beans, Rooster want a Copy? P.M. me here.

"... the virus (sic.) power is similar to a little flu."  Try watching the interviews on BBC of the various sufferers who have been released from the hospital but are still struggling months later to recover fully.  Apparently some people will suffer life-long impairments from having contracted COVID-19.  Some who suffer serious complications are under 30 years of age.

Your words may have some interesting things in it. I don't know and it is too long for me to bother. Remember Mark Twins words: “I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one.” Could you write the same on ½ page structured wirh premises and conclusions?