I got my 30 days extension denied today

9 hours ago, eppic said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am afraid that in Bangkok 30-day extensions are now being denied even if the one-time extension has not been used.

I know this firsthand because I was at MTT today doing a passport change for my son and asked about the 30-day extension (we entered on visa exempt, have not used extension).  Was specifically told this is ONLY possible with a letter from embassy, and even then may not be guaranteed.  It appears the routine 30-day extensions stopped when the so-called "grace period" was announced.  I have not seen a single story of success since then -- if anyone has, feel free to report it or provide a link to such.  I believe the 30-days without embassy letter is now dead, at least in Bangkok

Thanks for the report!

Although it is bad news, it is good to know that regular 30-day extensions for those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry are now not accepted anymore at MTT (even for first-time applications),

I am really surprised by this, because there is NOTHING different than before 31 July (when this was still possible and done successfully).  The Cabinet simply extended the Amnesty till 26 September but it seems that some Immigration offices are interpreting the last extension of the Amnesty as 'overruling' the regular IO practices.

>> As you reported, MTT IO told that you could apply for an Embassy letter supported 30-day special extension.  However, it is not clear whether such an extension would allow you to use it as a spring-board to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension, because that special extension is only meant to provide you with a legit temporary permission to stay when not able to return to your home-country yet.

A little off subject, but a big need to know, when are they going to tell us if there

will be another amnesty? A lot of my friends are going nuts over this as they have 

a hand full of canceled air tickets and are running out of money.The longer they wait

the more it will be like a dam busting it's banks at the end, surly they should know this.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Friend of mine obtained 12 month Volunteering visa last Friday at Pattaya.

Key Visa 49k. 

You can most likely do better. 

Why do u have to pay such stupid price.can't u do it yourself .these visa places see some ppl coming a mile off.we got quoted 15000 to do retirement .did it ourselves for just under 2000.thats 30.000 for a foreign couple .don.t think so 

• Like 1

Just now, Gilltom said:

Why do u have to pay such stupid price.can't u do it yourself .these visa places see some ppl coming a mile off.we got quoted 15000 to do retirement .did it ourselves for just under 2000.thats 30.000 for a foreign couple .don.t think so 

You need to be 50+ to obtain non o based on retirement and subsequent 12 month extension.

Some folk are not 50+

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

You also have tuition to pay, so it ends up being about 30,000 for 6 months.

Yes incl tuition around 30,000 for 1 year. Still 20,000 cheaper than volunteer.

Edited by LammyTS1

18 hours ago, mareo said:

You are right. Do you think it's a fair price? or should I look for something cheaper?

Thanks!

That is about the going rate , if you find it cheaper elsewhere, you would have to add travel and accommodation costs .

It takes about three weeks to process , so , apply soon if you want to proceed 

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report!

Although it is bad news, it is good to know that regular 30-day extensions for those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry are now not accepted anymore at MTT (even for first-time applications),

I am really surprised by this, because there is NOTHING different than before 31 July (when this was still possible and done successfully).  The Cabinet simply extended the Amnesty till 26 September but it seems that some Immigration offices are interpreting the last extension of the Amnesty as 'overruling' the regular IO practices.

>> As you reported, MTT IO told that you could apply for an Embassy letter supported 30-day special extension.  However, it is not clear whether such an extension would allow you to use it as a spring-board to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension, because that special extension is only meant to provide you with a legit temporary permission to stay when not able to return to your home-country yet.

About the normal extension 30 days from TV or exemption on arrival :

Has someone ask the immigration hotline ? They are supposed to know ? I've never called that's why i ask.

22 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

About the normal extension 30 days from TV or exemption on arrival :

Has someone ask the immigration hotline ? They are supposed to know ? I've never called that's why i ask.

Good idea Sam ????

I had immigration hotline finally, and THEY CONFIRM THERE IS NO MORE "NORMAL EXTENSION".

Only the "special" with embassy letter.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Good idea Sam ????

I had immigration hotline finally, and THEY CONFIRM THERE IS NO MORE "NORMAL EXTENSION".

Only the "special" with embassy letter.

Thanks for the report.

So once again bad news, but good to know. 

Of course they are wrong because nothing has changed since the Cabinet announced the second Amnesty extension of stay till 26 September.  But they incorrectly seem to think that the Amnesty Visa arrangements 'over-rule' the regular IO practices.  And as IO are calling the shots, it's of little use arguing about that.

>> By the way, did you ask whether the Embassy Letter supported 'special extension' would allow to apply it as a spring-board for a subsequent 1-year extension of stay application?

I have serious doubts that IO would allow this, as the 'special' extension is only meant as a temporary permission to stay for those that cannot yet leave to their home-country.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

nothing has changed since the Cabinet announced the second Amnesty extension of stay till 26 September.

Perhaps the time has changed - at present there will not be anyone on an original 90 day or less visa entry remaining so any extensions of stay will have to be from a previous extension of stay or from amnesty status.  Those on one year extensions of stay are not using amnesty and can extend normally.  Those on amnesty require special paperwork (currently embassy letter for 30 days or legalized status of amnesty stay (stamp we hear about and some have obtained).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

There may never be any other announcement.  They have already said everyone needs to get a proper extension of stay or leave by sept 26.  If they don't extend it, there is no need to announce anything else.

A lot of people tried to leave and got only canceled tickets.The door must swing both 

ways. Most people I know would be happy to leave as they are tourist and have been 

trapped here for months. They want direct flights home with no stops as they don't

want to be put off in a different country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

A lot of people tried to leave and got only canceled tickets.The door must swing both 

ways. Most people I know would be happy to leave as they are tourist and have been 

trapped here for months. They want direct flights home with no stops as they don't

want to be put off in a different country.

The fact is there are no direct flights to most countries and it will likely be a long while before there are.  If they want to leave they should be checking all flights and in many cases their Embassy will have information to help find best connections.  

• Like 1