Open letter from long-stay tourist in Phuket spurs action from Prime Minister

webfact

9 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Why all the negative remarks , if it gets the government to think of us as humans then surely it’s a good thing

Oh, he got the government already to think about us as humans who are dirty farangs coming from sh1thole countries full of deadly viruses who will infect all Thais with viruses which they all hardly can survive when they eventually will open their borders again.

Edited by Flying Saucage

20 hours ago, webfact said:

In his open letter, published online by The Phuket News on Aug 22, Mr Stoever urged the Thai government to consider the circumstances he and many other long-stay tourists already staying in Thailand were facing. 

Please please, please can I stay, can I stay, I don't want to go home... 

Change your visa or go.

18 hours ago, Oldie said:

He is so scared of flu and Corona in Merkels Germany. Flu is there every year and Corona can be there for a very long time too. So how much longer does he want to stay here without a proper visa - years? 

personal, i would be much more scared about this merkil

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

BS

if money #1 we already be open for foreigners. 

France and Spain etc money#1. Now look what happen. Stupid.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-france-spain-record-biggest-daily-spikes-in-cases-in-weeks-europe-second-wave-2020-8

please not talk rubbish. 

You know what, I'm with you.

The one thing that makes me puke in my mouth is when some frothy posters keep opining that Thais are all about money. So, last time I flew to Thailand there was some white guy from Sweden with his perfectly over-tanned wife and porcelain blonde kids telling me how Thai people are money hungry ruffians. I told him if he is so much better to upgrade me to business class for free. 

All white farang talks here IS about money. Money this, money that. 50% of 4hitfights on this forum are about people proving to a bunch of anonymous posters how richer they are than the other poster. Then they say Thais like to pretend to be hiso. The same posters who will complain about being shortchanged 2 baht at 7/11

My favourite is being overcharged at national park, but I live in On Nut ghetto and have never ventured outside BTS line.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2

It's obviously a sweeping generalisation to say that money comes first for Thais, but at least from what I've seen they do seem to love money and can be quite ruthless about trying to get more of it. Maybe it's because if you're rich in Thailand and people know, it gets you instant status with your neighbours, friends and family, maybe because it's the insecurity of living in a country without a social security system to fall back on, maybe it's because they are supporting a family/parents somewhere which isn't something westerners usually have to do. Probably all of the above.

Also it doesn't help on these blasted dramas, they all seem to live in huge, lavish mansions, and the people in the government are all super rich with Rolexes and Bentleys etc. making Thais think that this is something to aspire to.

In my eyes money just causes greed because how ever much you get there can always be more, but for now at least is a necessary evil. I've ditched many girlfriends in the past because they ask for handouts too much, and however much you offer they try and negotiate upwards causing me to close my wallet and leave pretty damn quick. Pravda is right, though - farangs here seem to talk about their finances as soon as you meet them. 

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

Mr Stoever's letter certainly seems to have stirred a bit of a TV hornets nest. I'm not sure why some would be so angry over someone asking for an extension on the current amnesty. It actually makes a lot of sense to so under the current circumstances. In fact, I fail to see any downside for either Thailand or tourists by extending the amnesty. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Mr Stoever's letter certainly seems to have stirred a bit of a TV hornets nest. I'm not sure why some would be so angry over someone asking for an extension on the current amnesty. It actually makes a lot of sense to so under the current circumstances. In fact, I fail to see any downside for either Thailand or tourists by extending the amnesty. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible. 

Allrighty then

Next time your precious EU gets overwhelmed by economic migrants because there's a flu season in Romania please don't whinge and whine.