4500bht Power Bill ..ouch

happyaussie

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Our bill was dropped to around 2500-3000 baht for the Covid-19 discount and is now back to around 8000 baht per month. 

7 AC’s in our house. 

2 Bedroom AC’s on at night. 

2 AC’s on in large living room in day time

1 AC on in kitchen when cooking 

1 Oven - Wife bakes a lot

1 Washing Machine used 2-3 times per week.

1 Drier used 2-3 times per week

3 Fridges (inc wine fridge)

+ TV’s Laptop charging etc

Friends with similar sized housing have similar bills.

Wow 8,000 baht per month ????

We too have 7 A/C's in our house, one not working as it's too old and no need for it in the room it's in, also we don't run A/C's during the day as the house is well insulated and has high ceilings.

2 A/C's on at night (26 degree temps)

1 fan in the external kitchen with extractor fan when cooking, fans in lounge room, dining room, foyer sitting area, internal kitchen, all bedrooms, 1 of the 3 bathrooms and an extractor fan in one of the bathrooms

2 ovens, wife also bakes a lot

3 washing machines

1 Drier seldom used

2 Fridges

3 TV's, laptop, computer, iPad, tablet, 5 mobile phones and a printer

3 hot water systems

Our last bill was 2,130.32 the month before that 2,291.57 ad it's pretty much the same month in month out.

I don't think cooking with a gas bottle would make that much of a difference, but having A/C's on during the day and when cooking will certainly make a bill go up if you are not well insulated.

Maybe living in the bush has a different rate applicable e.g. 4.21011857707 x 506 units = 2,130.32 baht for August as mentioned above.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

We too have 7 A/C's in our house, one not working as it's too old and no need for it in the room it's in, also we don't run A/C's during the day as the house is well insulated and has high ceilings.

1 fan in kitchen with extractor fan when cooking, fans in lounge room, dining room, foyer sitting area, internal kitchen, all bedrooms, 1 of the 3 bathrooms and an extractor fan in one of the bathrooms

3 washing machines

1 Drier seldom used

2 Fridges

3 hot water systems

Our last bill was 2,130.32 the month before that 2,291.57 ad it's pretty much the same month in month out.

I don't think cooking with a gas bottle would make that much of a difference, but having A/C's on during the day will certainly make a bill go up if you are not well insulated.

Maybe living in the bush has a different rate applicable e.g. 4.21011857707

that is very cheap indeed.

What do you do with 3 washing machines?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

1 fan in the external kitchen with extractor fan when cooking, fans in lounge room, dining room, foyer sitting area, internal kitchen, all bedrooms, 1 of the 3 bathrooms and an extractor fan in one of the bathrooms

3 washing machines

1 Drier seldom used

2 Fridges

3 hot water systems

I don't think cooking with a gas bottle would make that much of a difference, but having A/C's on during the day and when cooking will certainly make a bill go up if you are not well insulated.

Maybe living in the bush has a different rate applicable e.g. 4.21011857707 x 506 units = 2,130.32 baht for August as mentioned above.

I think our AC usage is incredibly high... 

At least 2 AC’s on in the house whenever we are home. 

(either in the downstairs living area in the day time, or in the bedrooms when sleeping).

We get the government electricity rate - I think its 4.something, but increases slightly when our usage steps up to the next bracket. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

Electric bill for my household ranges from 4k to 8k per month. Have been keeping track of monthly bills for the last 8 years or so and can see the seasonal variances in units used. This year's bill for May was rather chunky (1,965 units), but still way below that of July 2014 - 2,560 units, ouch!!

I also take meter readings every 3/4 days and use that to project the likely monthly cost so that I have a rough idea as to what the end bill will be, so no nasty surprises. If the projection indicates that the unit usage may be getting excessive a few moans and groans to the usual suspects normally has the desired effect, particularly on increasing the AC temp from close to arctic levels.:biggrin:

Edited by dabhand
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think our AC usage is incredibly high... 

When we built our house 5 years ago, we decided against having a 2nd level as we know how hot it can be upstairs, although the downstairs can be kept cooler in theory with a 2nd storey.

While saving on the 2nd storey I decided to go for a long single level dwelling with 3 metre high ceilings and a high attic space which can stand up in the middle, and it allows all that hot air to be pushed from front vents on either side of the front of the house directly below the gable roof, with two whirly birds at the rear which creates a wind tunnel sucking the hot air out, those whirly birds are spinning all day and night, we also put in vented eaves, and the biggest outlay was the thermal reflective sisalation and R38 stay cool batts, but easily off-set against the 2nd level.

I believe this is why we have a cheaper electricity bill, that and not requiring the air conditioners during the day, although when it does get over 40 degrees we do turn them on around 4pm.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Great feedback, thank you.

And the air-conditioners. On the LG remotes there a button labelled 'SAVING'.

Turn on, set the temp etc., then press the SAVING button.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the reduction in the monthly bill.

Note that you need to go through the steps above every time you turn on, no big deal.

Many other brands have a similar button but with a different word.

Give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised with the savings. 

How many units were used for that particular month it will show it on your Pea bill Divide the number by the total cost if it comes to more that 5.5 baht including vat then there must be a problem . Do you have your own transformer as  there is a small service charge for that I have a 30kva single which costs me an additional 300 baht per month so my bill is around the 5:5 per unit if you haven't it should only be around 5 bt per unit.

Has you actual KWh usage increased a lot.....or has just the Baht amount increased?  The jump may be due to the discontinued deep discounts they were giving.   Also, look back on your bills to the same month last year and compare usage by looking at the Kwh usage....not the baht cost.   If the kWh usage has increased dramatically, go to PEA asap and have your wife do the talking.  Maybe you’re meter got fried a bit or has otherwise gone haywire.  It happens!

Did you look at your meter and see if the reading was correct?  Also sometimes they come on different days and this bill could be for a few more days than the last one.

You can also compare this bill to the last one and see if the charges per unit are about the same.

OMG reading all these high bills has shocked me the most I have ever paid was 3,600 baht that’s when my two sisters came to visit . That’s for a 2 bed villa and a separate  1 bed apartment a 10,000+ litre turtle pond and a 16 meter salt water swimming pool ( 65, 000 ltr ) the pond and pool run 9 hours a day . All my aircon units are Daikin inverted and produce all the hot water in both buildings ( 4 ac units ) , all the ceiling fans are Mr Ken’s AC to DC supper super quiet but cost around 5,000 baht each my double fridge ,single fridge Wash machine Dryer are all inverter and all my 80 lights throughout the property are low voltage then I have 2x65” quantum dot TVs , I Mac , iPads , I phone cooker hood electric oven ,microwaves extraction fans in the bathrooms ( 3 ) even my pool pump is automatic 3 speed .yes the initial setup was expensive most of the stuff I shipped from China but even paying taxes it was cheaper by around 25% if you don’t look after your air con units and get them serviced once a year they are going to suck the life out of your running costs ,replacing old equipment with equipment that has inverters not only saves money on your electricity bills but it puts less strain on the equipment in other words if it hasn’t got inverter on the front don’t buy it. Even my water pumps are low energy they are German made I have my own 30KVA single phase transformer which is more than enough to cope due to my low energy consumption.

73FBF299-8627-4FD6-927D-8212C8A5DE11.jpeg

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

why you don't go for solar panels. You would get your investment back very quickly.

If you go grid-tie, DIY (not permitted) and spin the meter backwards when exporting (also not permitted) you can achieve about 3 years payback.

If you go completely legal with approved panels and inverters and an approved installer and join "My Solar Roof" the payback leaps towards 10 years ????

Our 5.8kW DIY system cost 88k Baht, Global House will do you a 5kW system, installed for 194k Baht. 

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

July's bill and Augusts bill however were each 4600 Baht, and we were gone for 2 weeks each month with the only thing running while we were gone were the 2 wine refrigerators. 

Good that I drink beer... 

23 hours ago, johng said:

Check the fridge  it could be running full time  if the control panel went wrong  or the door seals are bad or too much stuffed in the ice box forcing the door slightly open.

Also check the aircon  if its very dirty or someone set the temp down to 19 degrees it will use a lot of power.

Agree. I was in a condo where the fridge was chewing through more power than the aircon. About 600 baht/month.

Check the off/on cycling. If the fridge is running longer than when the compressor motor is off, there's something wrong.

23 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Almost never use AC reason electric bill is ok! And most of time take cold shower also. Last one in town house 365 bth and farm house 550 bth!

Have all normal electric machines! Farm home always live 3 people, town house just wife and me!

Like johng say about fridge! Melt that also if full of ice! Take much power!

Keep taking your cold showers. It seems like you want your electric bill to be as low as possible,but in the same time you seem a bit desperate about it. 

23 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Great feedback, thank you.

There are also different a/c modes if you look at the remote control. If you use "Cool", many a/c's will keep going constantly,meaning the fan in the outdoor unit never stops. In combination with clogged filters the power consumption can go sky high.

Try 'Auto" instead and see if there's a difference.