Many farang must leave their families, friends and Thailand

16 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Commons sense and the ordinary meaning of the words in the regulations.

Whose "sense"?  The guy pocketing envelopes of agent-laundered cash?

So the Thais are on the take...does this give you license, as a foreigner, to break Thailand's immigration laws?

No - and I haven't.  That's why I don't have an annual extension, to spite meeting the published requirements every time I applied.  

Each office has different "extra requirements" they add, which they use to keep a % of applications in the "agent-only" stack.  For some, it is "extra unobtanium landlord docs" - others say "only state pension income qualifies" - while CW recently made a Non-O-Family extension based on Thai-Income a "re-prove your work permit" exercise, though the applicable rules are "live with Thai-wife and have 40K+ proven income."

Those who used "agents" have their extensions, and only had to spend 30-seconds at immigration, while I spent countless hours chasing moving-goalposts designed to FORCE me to use their agent-buddies, or leave the country.

There's an Immigration corruption hotline...Google it.

Many posts of trying that here.  Local offices are Encouraged to change-up the rules, to keep a percentage of applications in the "agent-money" stack - the revenue from which is shared up the hierarchy.  The BOSSES run this system this way; local IOs are just low-level players in it.

The dream about laws/rules we Westerners grew up in, where only the elite-rich engage this sort of payoff-crime, simply do not apply here.  That said, I'm not playing their agent-game.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Its either a confused emoji or a laughing emoji but they are the universal signal for someone who has no substance to his argument. Show me where it says that visa is not to be used to gain 90day back to back stamps or shut up. Confused emoji 5555 pls

Are you serious or are you just trolling? I have never claimed that 90 day back to back stamps aren't allowed. You show me where I claimed that, or shut up. How could you possibly believe that I wrote that when I made a point of writing the exact opposite?

Again, since you seem to be having great difficulties understanding: There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 90 day entries from a Non-O ME back to back to stay long-term in Thailand, and there are no rules stating you can't. BUT, there are downsides to this type of visa, because you have to leave the country periodically, and you can't expect the government to rewrite all the rules because you chose to use a visa with short-term extensions instead of long-term ones.

I sincerely hope you can wrap your head around what I'm actually writing this time, instead of making up stuff for yourself. Why is this such a huge problem specifically here at ThaiVisa? Why can't people actually read what is being written and respond to that, instead of putting words in peoples' mouths so that they can respond with whatever they feel like?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

And the difference being most western Countries offer a Visa or route to 'settlement' for your foreign spouse. Thailand doesn't offer that option to foreigners.

I think you misunderstood my post, we are actually in agreement.

I started my reply with

exactly

meaning , I agree with your post, just wanted to add my 2 satang

10+ years here in thailand (or 20 or 30 or 50) and we are still TOURIST that have to prove 40x more savings on an account that average somchai is earning here per month

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Why Me said:

Just keep that amount in a separate account and forget about it. It's not a lot.

... to you.

14 hours ago, Why Me said:

And quite reasonable of Thai Imm. to ask for it to make sure you have enough to not go bust.

A fraction of that amount would ensure you "won't go bust" in Thailand.  It is the equivalent of about 8 years of Thai salaries, combined into one lump-sum.

13 hours ago, Why Me said:

You can be a Thai multimillionaire visiting but you'll still have to leave the day your TV expires. No way you can stay on.

If rich, and really want to live there (masochists?) and wish to follow immigration-law (though nothing is done if you don't), you can "invest" $500K through an agency, like the one run by Jared Kushner's family, for a visa. 

There is a whole slew of "alphabet" visa options for the USA - all catering to the very rich, or helping the very-rich import/hire very-poor people, so they can avoid having to pay decent salaries to Americans.

• Confused 1

there is no loophole.... many people have no other choice to be able to stay with their family, than in the past, to go get some non-o multi as corruption in immigration is REAL

I hate to travel all the way to Penang for 3 days, to get a visa 3x the price of an extension that was denied 40 km from where I live (immigration office)

I hate staying in hotels, flying every 90 days to Singapore for a few hours, just to get a stupid STAMP OUT & IN, to be able to stay with my family (child) but I would have done it till majority of my child, as I had no other option, which is DEAD now with quarantine & crazy insurance demands, while old sick farangs don't even have to proof they have health insurance while in the country ... makes no sense at all...

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Although this doesn't specifically state only 2 x 40K transfers for the very first extension application, Immigration follow the same criteria as for retirement as many will testify.

Usually if your intention was to apply to 'stay' with Thai family, you would initially enter on a 90 day single entry Non O Visa, permitting a stay of 90 days.

Within that 90 days, it wouldn't be possible to open a Thai bank account and make more than 2 x monthly overseas transfers if electing to use the income method.

It doesn't specifically state that because it isn't officially an option, that ruling doesn't exist does it!!!

I'm well aware of the difficulties and reason why some IO's have accepted just two monthly transfers but they are breaking the rules to do so. Other IO's correctly stick to the actual rules and insist on seeing (a seasoned) 400k in a Thai bank.

When posters on this forum wrongly tell others it is acceptable to just show two months transfers those 'others', who end up being refused, have more problems because their plans have been completely ruined by the lies they've been told. 

why not just tell the truth instead of suggesting possible loopholes are legal and truthful.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume your a UK, US or Australian national who can no longer obtain an Embassy Income letter and are on a Non Imm O ME Visa which has expired?

Then you are wrong in your assessment.

Yes, I'm from the UK but that's where your assumption ends. I'm NOT on a non O VISA at all. I've had, and still have, extensions every year.

I'm married to a Thai and have lived in Thailand for nearly twenty years and been totally legal for every one of those years. It's not difficult to do.

I started with a non O visa issued at Birmingham Consulate (yes I know it's no longer there) then obtained an extension every year from there. In those days an Embassy letter was acceptable as proof of income. I used my last Embassy letter in March 2019. When the rules actually changed in January 2019 and we would have to do monthly transfers, I pre-planned that, spent a lot of time talking to Transferwise (+UK banks) and Thai banks to determine the best way to go forward. I decided using Transferwise and the Bangkok Bank would be the best option and started doing monthly transfers in January 2019. I renewed my extension again in March this year which was the first time using the monthly income option.

It's not difficult if you supply and present everything correctly that the IO ask for. It's certainly much safer than giving people inaccurate information and dodgy loopholes they might be able to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

I'll repeat, There's no such law. 

Like you, I've also seen comments on here in the past saying they've only supplied two months of transfers but it's not part of any police order. If you think it is PLEASE  show us.

And, yes, earlier posts when the embassy-letter were first cancelled, quoted the new rule, from immigration, with a 2 month example.  The "law" vs "rule" bit is another tangent - I'm not going to keep digging now - but I clearly recall the language being quoted, when the "monthly transfer" system was implemented

Anyone recently entering Thailand, or initially applying for a 1-year extension, could not have been here solid for a year, so would not have a year of transfers.  So even if you can show the "source" of the income, and Immigration accept it as a "state pension" that qualifies, you still fail.

This is YET ANOTHER way of forcing honest, legit-applicants to their agent-money-launder partners.  That is ALL this is - more of the same extortion.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

It doesn't specifically state that because it isn't officially an option, that ruling doesn't exist does it!!!

It does state it in the amendment to immigration order 138/2557 allowing for the transfer option for marriage and retirement.

image.png.fe447d0b07ad8c1f34383cb338e01792.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

Is the living cost as low as Thailand? Or Annual visa fees are lower than Thai? Safety ? 
I don't think so. 

No annual visa but bank deposit no deposit if married to a Filipino for the cost depends on where you choose to live is a country other than Thailand there are those who like it and those who do not like me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does state it in the amendment to immigration order 138/2557 allowing for the transfer option for marriage and retirement.

image.png.fe447d0b07ad8c1f34383cb338e01792.png

You've shown that example before. It's specifically for new retirees who have been retired less than a year and come to live in Thailand straight away. It doesn't allow for, say married people, deciding to move to Thailand who are not newly retired

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I wrote in English & Thai to all newspapers in Thailand and in my native home language ... ZERO newspapers were interested in publishing when I spoke about no other choice than to leave my child behind with ZERO other people taking care of the child, after immigration DENIED my extension based of ...  with money in the bank, all papers in order, except one impossible to get LANDLORD document...  none were interested...

same goes for NGO's ... only interested in COLLECTION OF MONEY

Identical situation with an Unobtanium "landlord document" - they wanted the agent-money, and INVENTED a "loophole" to try to extort it from me - could not care less about our Thai families.  That's how I ended up on a Non-O-ME Visa the first time. 

I would suggest you temporarily "move" to Bangkok, and apply at CW.  I was denied there based on Thai-income, but if you have the 400K in the bank for 2 mo, you can likely get it.  Move into an Apartment-Building - NOT a Condo, so they cannot pull the "landlord-doc" Agent-SCAM on you - just need landlord/manager-signed copies of the rental-contract (3 mo will do) and his ID-Card + a TM-30 (varies on TM-30).

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Are you serious or are you just trolling? I have never claimed that 90 day back to back stamps aren't allowed. You show me where I claimed that, or shut up. How could you possibly believe that I wrote that when I made a point of writing the exact opposite?

Again, since you seem to be having great difficulties understanding: There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 90 day entries from a Non-O ME back to back to stay long-term in Thailand, and there are no rules stating you can't. BUT, there are downsides to this type of visa, because you have to leave the country periodically, and you can't expect the government to rewrite all the rules because you chose to use a visa with short-term extensions instead of long-term ones.

I sincerely hope you can wrap your head around what I'm actually writing this time, instead of making up stuff for yourself. Why is this such a huge problem specifically here at ThaiVisa? Why can't people actually read what is being written and respond to that, instead of putting words in peoples' mouths so that they can respond with whatever they feel like?

@Myran You're fighting a losing battle mate! 

People either don't read and consider before they hit "Quote" or already have a fixed idea about what you said....even if you said something else!

Also, there's the issue of understanding the concept of "the letter of the law" vs "the spirit of the law". But that, IMO, is the Thai lawmakers' fault for wording the laws so ambiguously and leaving too much room for interpretation. I remember that, at one time, the UK Tax laws had similar issues and one could gain considerably often with the aid of a clever accountant...or "agent" ????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

You've shown that example before. It's specifically for new retirees who have been retired less than a year and come to live in Thailand straight away. It doesn't allow for, say married people, deciding to move to Thailand who are not newly retired

The reason it is just one example, is because a time-machine or omnisience would otherwise be needed.  You are "supposed" to start transferring money to a bank-account in Thailand, which you cannot open w/o coming here,  10 months before entering on one's Non-O Visa?

Or, for the current situation of those here on/off on Non-O-MEs - one must telepathically-predict Covid, stop using ATMs and/or transferring to an account in your Thai-Wife's name, begin transfering "regular amounts" instead of "as needed" before - all to be prepared for when the borders are closed w/o warning or precedent?

We know they ignore "average" in the law as yet another trick to force more applications into the agent-only stack.  Have to take out more one month for an emergency, then less the next = "disqualified."  The same is true for denying proven-income from overseas businesses, investments, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

So where is the loophole,the visa can be had in Laos or Vietnam and people have been doing

this for over 30 years. When the virus is gone are they still be going to issue this loophole visa?

It's not a "loophole" - it was Standard Long-Term Policy for DECADES.

One can show 400K in a foreign or Thai account, or 40K income, and get one of these visas in Penang, Malaysia, also.  I'd be happy with that.  The MFA doesn't play little "gotcha" agent-extortion, like corrupt-immigration does.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What you really mean is they've used a loop-hole before to stay here long-term by doing border runs every 3 months instead of getting a real visa and ability to stay in the country doing a 90 day report within Thailand.

Yes your long holiday is now becoming more difficult... 

No, what we Really Mean, is they had a Real Permitted Stay - the same class of permitted-stay as those with 365-days.  Work-Permits no problem, just the same.

They were no less "Non-Imm permitted-stay" than anyone short of a PR-holder - but pre-covid, less subject to having some arbitrary "new requirement" from Immigration destroy their family unexpectedly some year.

It is Immigration creating "extra requirements," not needed previously, to extort agent-money at a rate of 15x to 25x more than the "official fee."

2 hours ago, Myran said:

People complaining now seem to want all the pros of having this type of visa, but none of the cons. Everything comes with pros and cons, and when you accept the pros, you have to accept the cons as well.

We did accept the "cons" - and we did our exits on-time, as required.  Covid-closed-borders are the only issue.  No one said we were not willing to make our scheduled exits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

There is no such thing as 'economic refugees'

There are 'refugees' and economic migrants'.

As different as chalk and cheese.

In real, there is.

No person will enter a country and say they came because they cant find a job at home! The story will be that they are persecuted in their home country - a good example are the boat people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_migrant

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/economicrefugee.asp

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The reason it is just one example, is because a time-machine or omnisience would otherwise be needed.  You are "supposed" to start transferring money to a bank-account in Thailand, which you cannot open w/o coming here,  10 months before entering on one's Non-O Visa?

This is the only 'example' ever given.

below is a reply I gave to one of your earlier posts (#187)

I'll repeat, There's no such law. 

Like you, I've also seen comments on here in the past saying they've only supplied two months of transfers but it's not part of any police order. If you think it is PLEASE  show us.

I might be wrong and just my opinion as to why some IO's have accepted this in the recent past. Firstly Thai Embassies in some countries were stopped from issuing twelve month non O visas and were limited to issuing 90 day non O's. Initially that wasn't a problem because people could obtain a home country Embassy letter to prove income. But when (for some nationalities) monthly transfers became the new rule, for those applying for an initial twelve extension using a 90 day non O, it was impossible to show twelve months of monthly transfers. Recognising this anomaly, some IO's accepted two monthly transfers (but it was never made law) while other IO's refused that option out of hand and insisted on the 400K money in the bank alternative. 

Immigration are aware of the anomaly so, if everybody genuinely applying for an initial extension were legitimate, there wouldn't be a big problem, but that doesn't happen does it.

Too many people are trying to use this option when they've been staying in Thailand for years. The IO's simply look at all the previous stamps/non O's/ etc and refuse the application.

Recently in Chonburi, an application was for an initial extension, based on a non O visa, was refused when the IO saw the previous two years were covered by various non O visas and the previous four years were retirement extensions, based on ab O-A visa. It was refused for not being an initial application. He told me he was advised on TV that, because he was using a non O visa it would be classed as an initial application.

If people are refused for trying to abuse the system, don'i complain. 

Edited by john terry1001
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

I'm well aware of the difficulties and reason why some IO's have accepted just two monthly transfers but they are breaking the rules to do so. Other IO's correctly stick to the actual rules and insist on seeing (a seasoned) 400k in a Thai bank.

I can attest to the fact that many members of US, UK and Australian nationals have acquired extensions based on both marriage and retirement with proof of 2 x 40/65K transfers since the Embassies stopped issuing Income letters.

Some enter VE or TV and obtain the Non O with only 1 x 40/65K transfer, then the extension with 2 x 40/65K transfers before this amnesty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Recently in Chonburi, an application was for an initial extension, based on a non O visa, was refused when the IO saw the previous two years were covered by various non O visas and the previous four years were retirement extensions, based on ab O-A visa. It was refused for not being an initial application.

That's correct.

46 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

He told me he was advised on TV that, because he was using a non O visa it would be classed as an initial application.

And did he state the full facts that he had previous extensions.

Advice can only be given from the information presented.

I suspect his intent was to get an O Visa and a subsequent extension, to avail himself of the required medical Insurance from the O-A Visa.

Had he only previously stayed on O-A Visas, now obtained an 'O', then indeed the requirement using income would have been 2 x 65K overseas transfers.

If he had previous extensions before the O-A Visas, then Immigration are likely to request 12 x monthly transfers.

Again it is always better to consult your own Immigration office if changing.

Certain offices will act as Chonburi did, others will treat an extension from a new Non O as the first extension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

The exact same wording is used in the clause for extensions based upon marriage. Retirement is just the way it was written and translated. Download: Amendment to police order 138/2557 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I can attest to the fact that many members of US, UK and Australian nationals have acquired extensions based on both marriage and retirement with proof of 2 x 40/65K transfers since the Embassies stopped issuing Income letters.

Some enter VE or TV and obtain the Non O with only 1 x 40/65K transfer, then the extension with 2 x 40/65K transfers before this amnesty.

I'm sure we both can.............but that still doesn't make it part of the police order does it.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Again, you're confusing yourself with a Thai. Look in the mirror and out the window at people on the street. See the difference. Can you count to ten in Thai? See. Next, what you need to know is that Thai people have their own medical coverage and welfare system (minimal).

So let's see. 800k b.? Have an accident and go for surgery and you'll near that in a week in hospital. Damage property, accidentally or intentionally, and you might owe that. Bottom line, 800k a perfectly fair buffer you are asked to reserve.

I have medical from working here.  Others can Buy Insurance - and not the rip-off / poor-quality junk which Immigration accepts - the much better policies they don't.  Many retired military have Tri-Care - not accepted, though pays everything.

You are confusing "makes sense" with Immigration's "how to we get them to pay us off via-agents" rules.  Most retirees don't have 65K/mo coming in, but could live here on much less than at home - helping Thais live better with their multiples-of-a-Thai-salary spending, at the same time.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Seriously, I don't know you from Adam, but if you can't afford $30k as a safety net you should never have ventured out of mom's basement in the first place.

I understand you are poor but do you own a calculator? I do. It says $30k is 6% of $500k. So, Thailand is asking a tiny fraction of what the US asks for one to stay. And I believe we both agree that this country is a more desirable place to settle than the US. 

Like I said I don't know you but your problem seems to be funds.  ...

You don't know my financial situation.  I earn multiples of the minimum needed, but immigration will not accept it - not when it was my USA company, and not even after I closed that to take a job here - specifically for Immigration-qualifying income AND to join the SSO / Medical system (looking out for the long-term). 

My "bank money" is in the USA, where I have these things called "rights."  Thailand could go-sideways, and "poof" - it's all gone.  I worked really hard to save money - not risking years of retirement-expenses-money, in a country where corruption trumps-all.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Fine, go home where you are from, spend a few years working your backside off, save serious dough and only then come here. That would be the adult thing to do, not whining constantly about how Thailand should change this rule and that so that you can hang in here.

Let's say I re-open my USA business - why in the world would I go "live" there and spend MORE MONEY on wasted-overhead with a lower quality-of-life - saving LESS money, than if living somewhere else?  I can live in Mexico, Vietnam, Cambodia, PI, etc MUCH better on FAR less.  Just need an Internet connection to do my job.

When you talk about going back to save money - it's not like the good-old days, before Americans had to go head-to-head with people from the 3rd World for jobs - even white-collar with degrees.  The last generation before me burned all that down behind them, before most now-living even reached adulthood.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

Too many people are trying to use this option when they've been staying in Thailand for years. The IO's simply look at all the previous stamps/non O's/ etc and refuse the application.

Old "stamps" are irrelevant.  Folks here on other types of stays should not have been expected to have been complying with 1-year extension rules.  They should only have been in-compliance with the rules for those past permitted-stays.

Anyone applying for a 1-year extension for the first time should have the 2-mo option - and should not be expected to have been in compliance with an idiotic system of "so much per-month" for 12 months - long before they ever considered applying for a 1-year extension.   The rules state "average" income - not "exactly X per-month." 

First application for 1 yr, show 2 mo w/ that average - might be one deposit.  Next application for 1 yr, show that amount avg for 1-year. 

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

If people are refused for trying to abuse the system, don'i complain. 

The only ones "abusing" are IOs trying to force people into the agent-system for a payoff. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes everything was good before Covid came along to spoil your little party... doing your border hops to circumanviate the real visa rules now you cannot do border runs you're stuffed.

The MFA's Visas were not "real"?   Or you just resent us, and celebrate our being put over a barrel by corrupt IOs and their agent-partners?

I bet you are seriously dissapointed I can get an embassy-letter now, and NOT be separated from my wife.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The exact same wording is used in the clause for extensions based upon marriage. Retirement is just the way it was written and translated. Download: Amendment to police order 138/2557 

But the wording in that police order definitely doesn't say "an applicant applying for an initial extension only needs  to show two monthly transfers of 40k+ for each month" anywhere does it. The wording is restricted to recently retired person who retires in Thailand before they have accrued twelve months worth of monthly pension payments when they make their application. They only need to supply pension proof from the start of their pension to the date of their application. It has nothing to do with an initial extension application only requiring two monthly transfers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yinki said:

am in same situation , i need a fresh at least 15 day left visa to apply for non-o children dependant visa. i got all documents needed for visa and 400k in bank waiting since she born 10 month ago... but covid decide otherwise.

now i need to leave my family, go back to France where covid is very high and come back maybe  in 3 month if all goes well ( neither country close borders nor i got hit by virus).

If your embassy will give you a letter (USA would, and AU would for switching to a long-term extension), you should be able to apply w/o issue, as you are using the "money in the bank" option for meeting the financials. 

This embassy-letter bit, recently rolled-out, seems to be a face-saving way for them to reverse their policy of pretending covid auto-extensions were not really legit-extensions - 'amnesty for overstay';  the Cabinet made clear what we received were automatic Extensions of our current permitted-stays.  

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes everything was good before Covid came along to spoil your little party... doing your border hops to circumanviate the real visa rules now you cannot do border runs you're stuffed.

Don't we all like the good  old days …., ????  example the time I use the combination method ,  as I just had to keep on Thai bank the amount that was needed to make full the money short on my total from pension, to come to 800K, that pension money I only needed to show virtual the total  by affidavit delivered by my Embassy.

So in real it looked and was same as a credit line , as  it was money I would get by the running year coming in .

Now in that combination system it is needed that I have it already (  if even immigration still accept combination …?) .

So I just took the 800K method as that transferring thing is too risky for codes or whatever other they pull out their I.O. sleeves … agh ! …. those good old days when € was 47.5 baht worth...????

Edited by david555