Cate Blanchett says she would rather be called an actor than an actress

snoop1130

Cate Blanchett says she would rather be called an actor than an actress

By Agence France-Presse

5070.jpg

Actor Cate Blanchett arrives on the red carpet at the 77th Venice film festival. Photograph: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

The Hollywood star Cate Blanchett has said she would rather be called an actor than an actress.

The Australian, who is heading the jury at the Venice film festival, gave her backing to Berlin festival’s controversial decision last week to do away with gendered prizes and only give a best actor award.

“I have always referred to myself as an actor,” Blanchett said after being asked about the move towards gender-neutral prizes hours before the 10-day Covid-restricted Venice jamboree began.

“I am of the generation where the word actress was used almost always in a pejorative sense. So I claim the other space,” she said.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/03/cate-blanchett-says-she-would-rather-be-called-an-actor-than-an-actress

• 2 weeks later...

She has every right to that opinion.

By definition, :An actor is a person who portrays a character in a performance (also actress; see below). The actor performs "in the flesh" in the traditional medium of the theatre or in modern media such as film, radio, and television.  Wiki.

She's also damned good at her craft.

She has a pretty good 30 year CV .     https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000949/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Edited by ratcatcher