The week that was in Thailand news: Justice: A commodity sorely lacking in Thailand

rooster59

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This crime occurred in Thung Song that is part of the most lawless province in Thailand, the murder and violence capital of the realm that makes Pattaya look like a wimpy place for deckchair mafia, namely Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

My ex-wife told me that Nakhon Sri Thammarat is a 'bad place' about 20 years ago.

Did he steal that "Attila the Hun"  joke from my post ?   Ok,  might just be a case of two great minds think alike.     555  Who am i kidding.   R would never admit to that.

Sure as heck he would proclaim that my insinuation is just a   Cock and Bull   story

• Haha 1

Ah rooster, you know that the role of the police is to protect the higher institutions property and the role of the judges is to reach an acceptable compromise whether or not it is in line with the law! That the Nai cannot be judged by the peasants and in any case the patriarchy must be maintained! 

There are a number of very good books written by authors who have tapped into the Thai culture. Their explanations of the "who" and "why" things go around should be required reading for residents of the Land of Smiles!

Thanks again for the honest opinions .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Great read again Rooster!

In general, Thai justice is a very simple thing. Forget all the Thai legal codes, especially the criminal code with its laws similar to rubber bands. They are not worth the paper they are written on. The real law in Thailand is the unwritten law of Sakdina! The courts always decide in favor of the more powerful and more rich people. Very simple concept of law indeed.

However, it becomes more interesting when not only Sakdina is involved, which I call the "vertical dimension". One should be aware that the elite is only unified against all those they locate in a lower position of the Sakdina pyramide. Then they all speak the very same language.

But there is a "horizontal dimension" as well! The elite itself is not unified. There are different factions, opposing each other, fighting harshly against each other for the pole position.

Till a few years ago, 2 or 3 years, the most powerful faction was the one in which Prawit and his adjudants PM Prayut and Anupong are members. Looking how the red bull brat was protected during the last 8 years, his family might (might!) also be a member of this faction.

In the meantime, another faction became the most powerful, in which the generals Apirat and Narongphan (who very likely will become the new army chief soon), but also Anutin and his family (Sinothai), Thamanat (the convicted drug dealer), and the King Power-family are members.

Now as an interesting observation, if you look at the hassles which Premchai (Italthai) has beed facing after he shot the black panther, one can assume that he is neither member of the first nor of the second of the factions mentioned above. Remember how outraged the Prayut government was about Premchai, beginning of 2018? It was so convenient for Prayut and Prawit at this time, to distract the attention of the populace from the other big scandal at this time, which was related to expensive watches. But, also keep in mind that Italthai and Sinothai are competitors. So, not sure about the final sentence for Premchai.

It will not be as severe as for mushroom picking by commoners, however.

So, what will happen now to the Red Bull brat might (might!) depend also how the most powerful faction estimates the public outrage resulting from the different options of a verdict. At least it seems (seems!) that someone else than before took over the steering wheel a few weeks ago.

Interesting to observe this and its outcome from an alien perspective.

Many thanks Mr Saucage for your expansion of my thoughts! You're just smarter I guess!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

(Apologies; two long posts today. I got too much time on my hands.)

Great posts again Samui Bodoh, as always! Both of 'em!

No reason to apologize for long posts! Words are needed to explain complex coherencies and to give experciences of life to others. Often my posts are long also due to this. I enjoy reading Roosters very long TWTW every Sunday, and your well arcticulated and always intelligent replies.

Thanks to you and to Rooster, for providing the joy of a longer reading experience. I don't like quickies anyway :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

It's all Just REALLY Tragic I think Realy. And with no escape, like CV 19 IS pretty hard to argue with. A Huge Death tole that is NOT going to slow down any time soon Internationally I think ... and it also REALLY <Deleted>'s up a marge proportion of Middle aged and some young people. ...   Like, you Do NOT want to get it !!! ....  Protests, and just horrible Border closures or Not .... 

While all the Red Bull hit/run inquiries show promise, nobody seems to be asking the real question: 'Who paid who?'

I would have thought that the then Chief of Police would have some culpability as it happened on his watch. Either he was incompetent (by letting such a high profile investigation be delayed or bungled) or he well knew what was going on.

On another corruption matter, remember Big Joke, the former immigration boss who was forced out of the job. It appears he had a disagreement with his superior. Was it the same Chief of Police? And what about the promised investigation when someone fired 3 shots into Big Joke's car? Was that ever solved?

Oh, for some decent investigative journalism and follow-up in the Thai press.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

At which point I would like to register my amazement at the sheer number of forum curmudgeons who still condemn this wonderful plant. Their “Reefer Madness” rants to lock up marijuana smokers can't be based on personal experience. Their views are based on nothing more than prejudice invariably couched in the absurd notion that tobacco and alcohol are angels in comparison. Some even debunk the idea that cannabis products are good for treating medical complaints. Please educate yourselves.

:thumbsup: Spot-on!

Another good read for my Sunday morning in Canada. Thanks for the weekly update.

Its is a shame how the very Rich in Thailand, seem to get away with their crimes,

except for maybe the Italian Thai company fellow.   I just feel better when I think

of where most of the very rich people will go after they die, and it is not Heaven.

I do not believe that every soul gets reincarnated, some go to either Heaven or Hell

depending on how the persons lives were lead. Just my opinion of course.

Geezer

I live in N.S.W. Australia and we have had a Special Court to deal with corruption for some time now,referred to as I.C.A.C. (Independent Court Against Corruption) it has served well for over a couple of decades with more than a few winding up in the 'Monkey House' and causing quite a deal of consternation among the 'Pollies' and Constabulary primarily for which this Court was designed for,maybe,just maybe Thailand is ready for this to happen as well. Good Luck 

On 9/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, rumak said:

Did he steal that "Attila the Hun"  joke from my post ?   Ok,  might just be a case of two great minds think alike.     555  Who am i kidding.   R would never admit to that.

Sure as heck he would proclaim that my insinuation is just a   Cock and Bull   story

You must have stolen it from my twitter post. A chain reaction. ????????

A great read. One of your best.

"This beautifully constructed agricultural masterpiece.. "  Is there an implied reference I am missing?

And now GarryP the pedant:

"I guess there are less and less people like...."

Shouldn't that be fewer and fewer. I know people are getting fatter and fatter, but they are still countable I believe. ????

29 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You must have stolen it from my twitter post. A chain reaction. ????????

are you a homosapien?    and good call on the  "fewer and fewer" .    Jeez, i hope you don't read

my posts.   few capital letters.... lots of dot dot dots..... 

and according to many they don't make any sense.      

i "don't do" twitter,   so post more on tv  ( though tough censors here   ????????)

• Haha 2