Don’t leave it to the last minute! Thai Immigration reminds foreigners ahead of amnesty deadline

rooster59

6 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Facts on the ground have changed. We don't live in the world we used to. The world might never return to what it was. Best come to terms with that and deal with it.

A bit pessimistic? The World have returned back to Normal from other pandemies before, so why shouldnt we recover this time? It is just time we talking about. And in 5 years everything will be same crazy as before recovering after another ressesion, and what happend in 2020, is just history. 

But we can not predict what else going on in the world. Thailand government, China trade war or physical war, and there Im more pessimistic. Time to make plas if dirt hits the fan. Retirement in Asia could be problematic if there will be a bigger conflict within Asia with west. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Then how do I get back to Malaysia. No money for air fares.

The land borders are closed, I doubt there are any ships going between the 2 that will accept passengers so it's fly or don't go. 

A quick check suggests the cheapest direct flight is Bangkok to KL with Malaysia AIrlines at 3,940 THB departing on Thurs 15th, Friday 16th, Wed 23rd or Thur 24th at 5:20PM  

I would book it quickly if you're wanting to leave before the 26th...

Good Luck

Edit: Sorry, I didn't consider the fact that you might be Malaysian & so have more options for entering Malaysia... @sandyf has offered a couple of good options for you if you are

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Just playing devil's advocate. The notion of extending the amnesty is partly based on the idea that there will be an end date. What if there is not?

And remember, there is still no cure for HIV, 40 years on. So what you are saying about the world returning to normal after previous pandemics is not strictly true. We still have to wear condoms. We can't just go out and have unprotected sex with anyone we want. Well, we can, but there are consequences. 

HIV is an ongoing pandemic. People forget that. It has not been cured, and it changed the world permanently. What is to say Covid won't be the same?

Hiv is not a pandemic anymore, and there is life saving medicine, and your example is not valid, since HIV do not transfer trough air, and life is back to normal. Get to know your partner, take blood test, and off you go without condom. We just learn to adopt to new challenges as we have done all the way since the beginning. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

People who came to Thailand as a tourist back in January / February MUST have seen all of Thailand by now .

What else to do you want to see and where else do you want to go ?

Nothing wrong with people staying her long term an spending money, not everyone meet the requirements to apply for retirement visa, what does Thailand have to loose to let staying her long term and spend their money ? 

So many people here are so eager to kick other foreigners out, lack of sympathy, sociopath? 

Businesses are shutting down because of it.. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Just playing devil's advocate. The notion of extending the amnesty is partly based on the idea that there will be an end date. What if there is not?

And remember, there is still no cure for HIV, 40 years on. So what you are saying about the world returning to normal after previous pandemics is not strictly true. We still have to wear condoms. We can't just go out and have unprotected sex with anyone we want. Well, we can, but there are consequences. 

HIV is an ongoing pandemic. People forget that. It has not been cured, and it changed the world permanently. What is to say Covid won't be the same?

They should assume there is no end date. Using that assumption is the only way to make reasonable policy decisions. It is just common sense too.

When you plan for an earthquake, making building plans or city plans, you don't assume a small 2.0 is going to be the largest one you will get. That would be outright stupid. You plan for the worst. Everybody knows this. But dovid has made people go completely sensless. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Ok - a pandemic and turned epidemic. Covid could be the same - it could be with us permanently. It might never be cured. And you are right, HIV can be treated if someone takes ART and their viral load becomes undetectable. So in this sense Covid will be much worse than HIV if it can not be cured.

There is no proof at all at the moment that it will be cured, that is my point. Basing your actions on Covid ending in a few years is a potential mistake. You should base your actions on Covid never being cured. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 

Already good resoults on the russian vaccine, But still a long way to go. I stay positive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54036221

59 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I do not know about the train station but the road border at Pedang Besar was only closed for 3 days 

I think outbound is still closed unless your a citizen

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This survey doesnt say anything about the vaccine, it just say something about the disstrust of the vaccine at an early stage. 

I will not take any vaccine before well tested and released and given ordinary people for at least 6 months, so we are talking another year or maybe two.  

22 hours ago, andy8017 said:

I am still waiting for a new passport which I applied for in May ,? they are using Covid & every other excuse under the sun it seems ,but it is obvious the UK civil service Unions are making everything difficult .!

That seems strange, if it's a UK passport.  The HMPO/VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai were closed during the lockdown but have been open now for well over a month, and passports seems to be taking less than 3 weeks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Already good resoults on the russian vaccine, But still a long way to go. I stay positive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54036221

Think again my friend.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/08/14/1-in-2-russian-doctors-distrust-new-coronavirus-vaccine-poll-a71153

Not sure why this double posted and to another quoted post. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I do not know about the train station but the road border at Pedang Besar was only closed for 3 days in May.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388644

I just assumed that as the Malaysia/Singapore border has only recently (17th August) reopened after being closed for 5 months, that the other borders would be the same. https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3097723/singapore-malaysia-begin-limited-cross-border-travel

Malaysia & Singapore have a "Special" relationship so again, an assumption on my part but I thought this would be the 1st border Malaysia would reopen, especially as quite a few people live in Johor Bahru & commute into Singapore daily for work.

But I'm also assuming (last assumption I promise ???? ) that Citizens will be allowed to return home so wpuld have more options than somebody who just fancies a holiday in Penang...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Spending money is not enough. They should start paying taxes too, and play their part. The money they spend is a tiny microscopic drop in the ocean. Paying taxes would start to make a difference.

Sorry but these westerners who think their money can buy them anything, including the right to stay here, but refuse to pay taxes - it is a bit much.

Pay taxes or leave IMO.

I do pay taxes on all of the income I earn in Thailand as do you.

The difference is that I can claim mine back if I wanted to (below the minimum tax threshold, it's only interest on the money in my bank account) but I don't so I think you should give up your personal taxation allowance (the portion of your salary that's not taxed) it's only fair. 

3 hours ago, PatrickC said:

I am not a retiree. I am a work permit holder and pay my taxes, and I feel it unfair that others get to stay long term without paying taxes and playing their part. If there is an amnesty extension, at the very least, those people on amnesty should start paying taxes on their global income. Seems entirely fair that they contribute if they're allowed to stay.

That said, I don't think the amnesty should be extended. They could create a special visa category which you pay for, and start paying taxes. Regularise people, so to speak, and make them start contributing to the country, including paying taxes. Perhaps I could write to them suggesting this. 

If the Thai govt wants to change visa options to loosen the income requirements, that could also work, and that might be a fair ask, although many other countries are not loosening their income requirements.

What gets me is the sense of entitlement here. If though people regularise themselves and start paying taxes, fine.

We all pay taxes in here, way or another. All foreign money coming in is basically +++++. I see the problem with visas here is that they maybe worked 1990 when there was not much digital workers, like people who just work with laptop, no need of 4 thai workers and paying this and that, having stable income but need to go with loopholes. Like me personally, i have stable army pension + some online work, i do not need thai workers, i would rather just pay more tax and have company just for me as freelancer.

These non b visas and business requirements are not matching for 2563, as many many thais are workin remotely too as freelancer, treating us like <deleted> is nothing new and im not even waiting any changes for that, when they start treating thai people as humans, our situation will change too, so please dont expect any miracles ppl..... 

11 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Not enough. You need to pay income taxes as well. In fact anyone still here on amnesty has been here for long enough that they are legally tax resident and should now be paying income taxes on any money  derived from a foreign source and brought into Thailand.

I should write to the govt to make sure that IOs are checking that all foreigners requesting extensions etc are registered and paying income tax. It is only fair.

Thanks for giving me the idea.

That's wrong. The law that said visitors who have spent more than 180 days per year in Thailand, have to pay taxes, was abolished way back by PM Anand Panyarachun. I was here at the time. Earlier, one had to go to the tax office; they asked you how much money you'd spent in the last 6 months and then tax you on that. So anyone who knew the spiel only declared a minimal amount of course.

Edited by Ganesh108
correction
  • Thanks 1

I am happy that I am on a retirement extension. Will a further amnesty come or not??? What a terrible uncertainty for many that don't want to fly back. Perhaps they could install red telephones at the airport gates. And if you stand there and it rings it could mean that the government might grant you a further extension. If it doesn't ring you know what will come. ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I am happy that I am on a retirement extension. Will a further amnesty come or not??? What a terrible uncertainty for many that don't want to fly back. Perhaps they could install red telephones at the airport gates. And if you stand there and it rings it could mean that the government might grant you a further extension. If it doesn't ring you know what will come. ????

Waiting on the executioner and getting close to the final countdown

Image result for Clock ticking to the stroke of midnight for a pardon

• Like 1