Fears drive top-flight feedback blitz on ‘Phuket Model’

webfact

10 minutes ago, britishrepublican said:

I've been looking at Mexico.  I've always wanted to go and after spending 15 years in Thailand, maybe now is the perfect time to try somewhere else. 

Maybe they will treat us better too...

Ho cool. I'm looking at the Uruguay as it is the country with lower corruption in all the South America, and the one who has the best score for democracy and freedom. The history of this country is incredible.

They just change president in March i think... but it seems to be ok.

For visa it is very easy for European, no visa for 3 month required, and after 3 years to have a life there, you can obtain the national ID. For business, you don't need to make all the money for give 51% of your business to an other one who will be the boos of your invest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

All this "we will do this", then "we will not do this" "maybe borders will open soon", "borders not opening soon". This is just so typical of a country run by soldiers trying to be politicians when the only thing they have in common is telling lies and always putting themselves first.

You mean like General George Washington.

• Haha 1

Phuket to “gain feedback” from local residents about the ‘Phuket Model’ for allowing long-stay tourists to visit Phuket for holidays.

Am I daft or what? Or them? Aside from other issues,,,,are they actually saying long stay 'tourists'  aka retired, married, living here are more apt to get and spread Covid than the native Thai?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been looking at Mexico.  I've always wanted to go and after spending 15 years in Thailand, maybe now is the perfect time to try somewhere else. 

Maybe they will treat us better too...

I lived in Acapulco during winters for about 10 years changing to Thailand in 2006.  Good thing as the drug cartels moved in and violence increased significantly.  Larger cities, Mexico City, Taxco, Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas & Puerto Vallarta English is spoken.   

• Like 1

There have been quite a few 'reinfections' lately, which puts into question the effectiveness of a vaccine. If the vaccine does turn out to be useless for replicating herd immunity, Thailand is going to have to accept the new normal, like it should have done months ago.
That being said where I am right now, infections have been steadily increasing for the past 10 weeks, yet deaths have been completely flat the entire time. This has been seen across Europe as well. It seems that maybe we are better at treating severe cases and so less are dying as a result of their infection. There probably are many factors in involved, but as you can see below the rise in cases do not correlate with any rise in death. 

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 10.31.31.png

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 10.31.37.png

Edited by Mung
  • Like 2

Well they have asked the locals for their opinion which is a good pr move, they should also ask long stay foreigners (bunnies) their thoughts on their plan, without them it wont work will it., I am sure many foreigners will be ok with the idea, as it is, there is no real plan in place, a list of all participating hotels, flights, visa, which countries, etc , are yet to be announced, all that can not be set by next month, this is a flawed plan and will never get off the ground, songkran 2021 is my prediction.

7 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

So ok most on this forum dont want anyone to go back to Thailand, so how about you lot go out of the country and see if your happy you cant find a way back. People who want to come back long term were out of the country for a wide variety of reasons(mine was a dumb pension requirement in Oz) who now would like to come back to their loved ones and resume the lives they had previously.

I don't think that's true (your first line). Certainly in my post where I say '...solid domestic plan' is also with those who have problems in mind. If TAT and the rest of them sat down and really constructed a good plan they might come up with something that helps those who do have problems. But no, they are just running around spouting this and that. The expat card was a good example, so that expats would go out and spend more money. That idea does nothing to solve the problems for those that you mention. I am sure that if the politicians, TAT etc. had sat down with airline companies they could have sorted out something for those in need. It might have taken a while to do it but it would be a lot better than the continuous flow of lame ideas. 

Edited by TKDfella

They tried to convince the world visiting  the Thai prisons could be a tourist attraction. This is of course <deleted>. But, maybe to let the Thai PRISONERS to visit the empty hotels might be a big success. Thai rak thai.

9 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

My wife has always refused to comment on politics here to me but even she said the same thing the other day with out me even mentioning it,so it's definitely time.

My wife's father works for the local government, and has served in the army. He is a very honorable man. He despises the army now and the leadership. Nearly all except the elite, feel it is time for them to hang up their spurs. See ya! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TKDfella said:

'Yes it is...no it isn't...maybe...maybe not...er, we don't know let's go ask the public...PM says borders not open anytime soon'. Gee these people simply have no idea. Like many other TV members have said, there isn't going to be a tourist rush considering all the restrictions. Why doesn't the government/TAT etc. just accept the international situation and get on with some real solid domestic plan?

absolutely, use this time to create a well managed safe, as possible, environment; get a decent test and trace system in place and carry out on going mass testing, that's what other countries are doing and have their borders open to tourists.

thailand either cant do this or doesn't want to do it, their solution is pile all the responsibility on the tourists, not exactly an enlightened, 'can do' mindset.

• Like 1

Oh well, back to the drawing board again, I suppose!

We`ll see tomorrow or wednesday what they will come up with next!

Cheers!   

After a 3 week quarantine, you are supposed to be allowed to travel to other parts of Thailand. But now Phang Nga province, the only province that is directly accessible from Phuket by road, has prepared yet another 2 week quarantine for you. Only God knows, what kind of future quarantines you could possibly expect from other provinces in Thailand. And in worst case scenario, airlines could stop flying again, which could leave you stranded in Phuket for a long long time.

Edited by Xonax

On 9/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, soalbundy said:

Even if Thailand as a whole is covid-19 free, even if there is no quarantine, the vast majority of Thailand tourists from outside Thailand wont be coming anytime soon, it's a question of economics. When lockdown gets lifted abroad the last thing on an employers mind is to give people holidays and the last thing on an employees mind is finding the money he hasn't got to go on holiday. People are in debt, they are worried about whether they still have a job or whether they are going to be evicted from their homes. Consolidation of personal finances and keeping in employment are going to be uppermost on peoples minds. The UK, (2 trillion pounds worth of debt) and probably others, will be raising taxes further minimising disposable income on top of personal credit card debt which people have had to accrue during lockdown. Wait a few years Thailand, no doubt tourism will pick up again but you have a long haul in front of you.

I also thought the same as you regarding the "economics". Until my brother, who lives in the UK, told me that he has never been so busy. He designs and sells fitted bedrooms and bathrooms and the way he explained it to me was that this tide of money was saved during the lock-down when people couldn't go to bars, restaurants, coffee-shops, the cinema and all the other places that cost money.

Must admit, I was surprised. The people that had a job and worked from home are cash rich. Those that took on debt with now no way to service that debt, are the ones in trouble.

Anyone know Why are long term retirees classed as tourists?

very sad, do other countries also class retirees this way? 

Below is my correspondences with thai embassy in London - 

41B9318A-2C88-44DB-B26D-46308D3274F0.thumb.jpeg.2327da68e79c2302b0eaab66acd305da.jpeg

DD01A34D-6AAD-459A-A148-ACF6277E00A4.jpeg.b3d274fac5aa371d61628b1fcca74b80.jpeg

this normal the world over because it seems to me to be insane! 

Edited by flyingfox1
The worlds gone bonkers