Phuket hotels fighting for their lives as domestic tourism fails to support the island

webfact

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

in a few months we'll be able to ask them if it was worth it:

B25D17CF-753B-44B6-B7A0-CC621BB6D755.jpeg

When you test more you get more positive results, besides the pcr test gives also positive results on other things than covid... but what about people in hospitals and icu? Reminds the same..we see that in quasi all eu countries....99.95% will not die from.covid 19...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

With all the hospitality staff out of work, rather than just giving them cash handouts, I wish the government would give them some other employment instead, in areas that are badly needed. For example, collecting rubbish, repairing / repainting schools and buildings, making the island look much more attractive than it currently does. 

the govt should also use this period to be sorting out infrastructure - build some new water collecting dams, expand and fix the sewerage systems, replace all the hanging wires and bury them underground, install a proper public transport system (a proper bus network like we have in Hong Kong for example)

personally I think it’s great that construction has stopped on most of the new hotels which are clearly not needed, and never were. So we have armies of construction workers out of work. For goodness sake use them, and fix the infrastructure during this once in a lifetime opportunity !

That makes too much sense.

They have an opportunity to completely change Thailand for the better.

It’s time to work on the issues that can improve the function, environment and economic future of Thailand now.

The list is too long, but you covered some in your comments.

Thailand needs an upgrade, and now is a fine opportunity to make it happen 

7 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

With all the hospitality staff out of work, rather than just giving them cash handouts, I wish the government would give them some other employment instead, in areas that are badly needed. For example, collecting rubbish, repairing / repainting schools and buildings, making the island look much more attractive than it currently does. 

the govt should also use this period to be sorting out infrastructure - build some new water collecting dams, expand and fix the sewerage systems, replace all the hanging wires and bury them underground, install a proper public transport system (a proper bus network like we have in Hong Kong for example)

personally I think it’s great that construction has stopped on most of the new hotels which are clearly not needed, and never were. So we have armies of construction workers out of work. For goodness sake use them, and fix the infrastructure during this once in a lifetime opportunity !

Definitely good ideas , unfortunately diificult for some people to understand and implement.

42 minutes ago, Redline said:

That makes too much sense.

They have an opportunity to completely change Thailand for the better.

It’s time to work on the issues that can improve the function, environment and economic future of Thailand now.

The list is too long, but you covered some in your comments.

Thailand needs an upgrade, and now is a fine opportunity to make it happen 

Absolutely ....but cant see it happening  ...the wheels move too slowly

• Like 1

"As of the end of 2019, there were 1,758 licensed accommodation establishments on the island, while today incoming projects stand at 58 hotels or just a 19 per cent increase in supply with 16,476 additional rooms planned."

Not got enough empty rooms/hotels already?

• Like 1

The problem they don’t see is that nobody in the World ever believed their COVID-19 figures. This means no-one will make travel corridor there unless their own figures are BS too. The only tourists it will see are the COVID ridden Chinese who use the same BS in their figures. 

At least in other countries you can judge when to travel or not, based on their figures going up or down and judge the risk. With Thailand you can’t, because according to them COVID-19 never touched them. The stupidity of creating this illusion now comes back to destroy the Thai tourism economy.

If you lie about everything don’t be surprised if no one believes you no matter what you say. 

In my opinion these hoteliers have ripped so many people off in the past. They are now crying because they are reaping the rewards of what they sowed. This along with the restaurants, bar girls and taxi drivers who have perfected their scams so well, means that everyone stays away now.

You will never see Thailand tourism bounce back. It’s now an outdated 1980’s throwback. Its global image is as a place where randy old men marry desperate young impoverished farm girls and shallow sex orientated guys sleep with abused trafficked girls.

That’s a hard image to rebrand as there is a lot of truth to that reputation. 

Good luck to TAT with that

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

The problem they don’t see is that nobody in the World ever believed their COVID-19 figures. This means no-one will make travel corridor there unless their own figures are BS too. The only tourists it will see are the COVID ridden Chinese who use the same BS in their figures. 

At least in other countries you can judge when to travel or not, based on their figures going up or down and judge the risk. With Thailand you can’t, because according to them COVID-19 never touched them. The stupidity of creating this illusion now comes back to destroy the Thai tourism economy.

If you lie about everything don’t be surprised if no one believes you no matter what you say. 

In my opinion these hoteliers have ripped so many people off in the past. They are now crying because they are reaping the rewards of what they sowed. This along with the restaurants, bar girls and taxi drivers who have perfected their scams so well, means that everyone stays away now.

You will never see Thailand tourism bounce back. It’s now an outdated 1980’s throwback. Its global image is as a place where randy old men marry desperate young impoverished farm girls and shallow sex orientated guys sleep with abused trafficked girls.

That’s a hard image to rebrand as there is a lot of truth to that reputation. 

Good luck to TAT with that

There is no active spreading of covid in China now. What you believe does not create facts.

If you do not like Thailand, why are you here?

• Sad 2

Just cancelled our 2 week holiday for November. Thailand has now lost £1500 in hotel costs. £1000 in organised trips and around £2000 in spending money. Not forgetting airport taxes and landing fees. That’s just from 1 couple. I would rather spend my money where people want us. Shame

• Like 2

All of the Thai Tourism Sector, and that of other Nations is going to need a massive reset.

It is apparent to many by now, that Tourism is never going to be the same as it was pre- Covid, and a reduction now in the number of Hotels and Resorts will strike a realistic balance of supply and demand going forwards.

The Hotels and Resorts that remain strong now, will be better going into the future, Not just for their Customers, but also for their Business.

Its time for the Dead Wood to be pruned out.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

There is no active spreading of covid in China now. What you believe does not create facts.

Yawn! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Many Thai's don't like the kind of work you speak of and expect Burmese and Cambodian workers to do those jobs.   Let's be honest; many Thai people think it's below them to bend down and pick up their own rubbish, they will walk over rubbish for days right outside their home and never clear it up !

Maybe they need lessons from the Army on cleaning the place up.  The Generals could lead the way !

Just spent 5 days in Phuket.  Nobody is cleaning the beaches.  You'd think it would be easy to hire some of the thousands who are out of work.  No good reason to see plastic bottles, straws and broken flip flops littering the beaches right now.

Flying back to Suwanabhumi, it was an eerie sight to see all the parked Thai Airways planes doing nothing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I had a nice holiday on Phuket. But I absolutely avoided the more touristy areas and found a magical place to stay, with very nice people managing it.

Wonderful community who rushed to our help in an emergency. 

The exception that proves the rule? ????

I had a nice holiday in Phuket. It was is 1976.  The beach forest extended all the way along the beaches; hardly any hotels. Stayed at a nice old wooden one.

Could watch the vast number of barges with giant industrial vacuum cleaners dredging the offshore areas all day long looking for gold or tin.   Those were the days !!

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 2:34 PM, Max69xl said:

How do you know she is pregnant? Have you met her earlier? 

I must provide our mid-Sept experience in Phuket. I am American; my wife is Thai. We are in Phuket now for 7 nights. We have each called about ten 4 and 5 star hotels. We have received an astronomical rate for one month on each, just in case they had a monthly rate. Additionally, we have been calling various 4 and 5 star hotels for the 7 nights. What we found is 20% off their regular rates. What does “regular” mean?  Would that be like a bookings.com rate or like the sticker price of a new car “regular” rate?  Katathani had the biggest discount we could find. Most 5 star hotels were keeping their prices the same or 10% off but giving free room size upgrades.  I cannot see any real deals from hotels on the verge of collapse.
  We did find menu prices in some local Thai restaurants in the tourist areas, that could be bartered beforehand, with as much as 40% off.  (decided to retire so $$)

All of the ocean-view, big hill resorts are closed until October. We are being told that they have already been closed for 5 months now. 
  We are finding about 25% of the mom-and-pop restaurants are “temporarily closed”. We are uncertain if these would be normally closed anyway in the summer slow season. Perhaps some of you might have some enlightening comments?
All I can say for sure from this experience, is that we have not found any 4 or 5 star hotels offering 35% to 50% discounts..,HOWEVER HOLD ON, there is a Government website that refers you to an app that requires Thai fluency. This site has hotel and restaurants that we are told are participants in a Government Subsidy Program. These deals are nothing short of amazing and I mean worthwhile-mag!  I think we had to enter her Thai Resident card number.

When we flew here from BKK, my wife, who is relatively new to flying, looked at two male Thai Viet Jet flight attendants and in all seriousness said, “Ive seen both men walk to the back. Tell them to get back to the front and fly this airplane!”
 I love this country and feel very privileged to be their guest. I am applying for a work permit so I can volunteer as an orthopedic surgeon at a local hospital. It is what I love to do and my small way of giving back.  Now, if I could just get immunity to those darn mosquitos! (scratch-scratch).

20167F0A-6BCF-4ED6-A701-94547EB821EF.jpeg