Phuket hotels fighting for their lives as domestic tourism fails to support the island

webfact

Domestic travel will never make up for the missing overseas tourists, simply because Thai´s will not pay the inflated Farang prices everything is based on. Many hotels and resorts in tourism hot spots have been acquired at inflated prices, with the hope that the possibility of charging inflated Farang prices would never dry out.

Tourism will never be the same again, as a brand new kind of tourists will only travel to areas, where they can keep a safe distance to others, instead of staying in overcrowded places like Patong and Pattaya. In addition they will probably prefer destinations, where they will be able to travel home by other means, if the airports should be closed again. But to me it seems like most tourism businesses in Thailand have done nothing to change the concept of mass tourism.

This weekend I was at a travel fair in Bangkok and saw many representatives for hotels and resorts NOT wearing masks. And one male Thai visitor in a blue shirt walked around coughing like crazy, with the mask placed under his chin.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Phuket is by far the best place to live in Thailand. Stunning beaches, malls and cinemas, clean air, local markets with great food, a beautiful house with private pool for less than 25k a month, motorbike trips to nearby Trang, Krabi and Phang Nga. Nothing beats living in Phuket imho. Especially since Covid, its an absolute paradise. Coming here as a tourist is a totally different story of course. Would never advise people to holiday 

Edited by mike1967
Deleted

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A nice thought, but that all takes money to do.

This government is cash strapped... the pot is empty, the family silver is gone, and fresh out of ideas.

As for paying wages to an army of unemployed that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

A lot of them who are unemployed have never paid 1 baht in tax and are complaining they cant get the handouts, I know of one family 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes obvious , so what is the government doing to help ?

Government,Immigration aren't being helpful with the visa amnesty . They've given until 26th September then get out of Thailand they can't wait for the date to arrive so they can fine tourists 500Baht a day overstay. My be you could get a visa in Phuket .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So with zero tourists, Phuket hotels are preparing for a high season that won't ever come, by doubtless increasing prices.

Surefire way to ensure that the hotels stay empty.

Also noticed a couple of Pattaya golf courses announcing that high season starts next month........... Good Luck !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

This weekend I was at a travel fair in Bangkok and saw many representatives for hotels and resorts NOT wearing masks. And one male Thai visitor in a blue shirt walked around coughing like crazy, with the mask placed under his chin.

A blue shirt?  How dare he?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps if the tourism minister hadn't touted turning Phuket into a latter-day plague pit then at least some Thai tourists might go there!

Given how busy Pattaya was over the long "Songkran-substitute" weekend, the solution is simple: the government declares a three-day week and then every weekend will be a long holiday weekend. The workers are happy, the hotels are happy (apart from those in the plague pit, lol), and nobody notices any reduction in productivity as most government workers don't do anything anyway. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most of the money is in BKK.

Hua Hin and Pattaya are doing OK on these long weekends.

BKK folks can drive in a couple of hours, be at the beach and enjoy a few days off.

Why go thru the hassle of a flight to Phuket or Chiang Mai?  I don't blame them.

Domestic tourism will not support these places.

We had some family drive from BKK to Phuket it's a long trip there and back

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, jaiyen said:

This goes to prove that even the Thai people think Phuket is a sh**hole !  The island has been raped and ruined by developers and hotel operators and greedy people in all walks of life. In the future it will be the quiet island it was 20 years ago.

my wife totally agrees lol - try as i might she will not go there for a holiday.

contrary to popular thought there is a section of thai society that decries ripoffs (in all forms) just as much as we do.

krabi is about as close as she will go ????