Pattaya: Grim picture for future of resort as post pandemic optimism dries up

webfact

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A bit harsh.....

It is all sad really.... but I share your lack of sympathy for the property owners who will not give businesses a break on exorbitant rents.

Do remember the property "owners" probably are loaded with debt to have been able to "buy" the property from the real owners and need to pay the debt.

But mostly I am sorry for the simple people earning a living in the branch and are now out of a job and money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Do remember the property "owners" probably are loaded with debt to have been able to "buy" the property from the real owners and need to pay the debt.

But mostly I am sorry for the simple people earning a living in the branch and are now out of a job and money.

I don't believe that is the case.... large percentages of Pattaya land are owned by a smallish number of very wealthy. Think Legkee etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xonax said:

In Pattaya, even a simple shack has a huge million Baht pricetag, if it has proven to be able to generate money from foreign tourists. 

Sure. But if such a bar goes bust then bad for the bar owner. But it would be easy for a new bar owner to build a new bar there. And this then without key money. 

11 minutes ago, robbioff said:

Yes, but can you sit on the beach with a beer? 

I am not sure because it wasn't allowed but you can fill it in a coffee cup ???? But Iast weekend many Thais were sitting on the beach and eating and drinking. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most people with loans don't own anything for the banks to take.

IMHO Banks are just as likely to fail as any other business.

I really don't expect tourism to be profitable again in the near (5-10 years) future.

Lock-downs and border closures look like lasting for the rest of my life.

I'm really not optimistic for any miracle vaccine to solve the world's problems.

And as far as I can see, most governments seem to be enjoying their new found powers of oppression.

5-10 years is a long time.  I hope you are wrong.  I would have said 2-3 years.  Like the GFC - these things have a way of correcting after 2-3 years.  Late next year I would expect tourism to start up again.  2023 could be a boom year as people try to enjoy social and travel life again (??)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Well the first point might be that it is not full. The second point, judging by the traffic that came here from Bangkok over the long weekend, yes, very much so. Bangkok is a huge population spending most of their time in traffic jams, the drive to get out is strong, but they like to bring their cars... Pattaya is close and easy.

Exactly! Pattaya's "lifeblood" has long been the folks from Bangkok escaping whenever they can, always been that way since in the eighties when Bangkok Thai's become "influential" enough to own transport and have the means to spend a weekend away.

Sure in recent years "mass tourism" become much more pronounced, but the Bangkok folks have & will always be visitors.

• Like 1

he urged the tourism authorities to promote pattaya....  but says nothing about telling the government to open up to let foreigners back in. thats the thai mentality for ya. on the bones of his <deleted> but still doesnt want the dirty falang in.losing sympathy for em now.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A bit harsh.....

It is all sad really.... but I share your lack of sympathy for the property owners who will not give businesses a break on exorbitant rents.

I could be wrong, usually am, but I do believe the post you replied to was aimed at the actual bar operators, as opposed to the property owners, so possibly a huge difference in direction of sympathy. Right now ALL property owners should be giving a substantial cut in rent, but the way things are headed even this will not improve the situation whereby the employees wages dwarf the daily takings ???? Things are inexorably headed in this direction !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm really not optimistic for any miracle vaccine to solve the world's problems.

And as far as I can see, most governments seem to be enjoying their new found powers of oppression.

Russia has just started giving out a vaccine that supposedly  works well with no side effects. This will pass as many have reported that the virus numbers have been inflated  and a lot of the scaremongering has to do with the govt. and their friends just stealing more money.  More phoney bailouts and stock buybacks. The rich get richer, as always. 

• Like 1