Pattaya: Grim picture for future of resort as post pandemic optimism dries up

webfact

2 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

You can have economic prosperity or global authoritarian rule.  World governments have chosen to destroy their economies and, as Orwell so aptly stated, are now imagining a future with "a boot stamping on a human face - forever."  And 80% of the plebs think that's a grand idea.  For the moment.
Welcome to Hell.

Image2.jpg.636700dc6a35ed2d3233dca273322ada.jpg

I dread to think what the future holds ,i really do ,i was so lucky to be born when i was , not rich ,but not poor ,London in the swinging 60s and 70s ,got to meet so many people who became well known ,married and had liasons with many lovely girls and in the last 20/30 years of my life have a great wife and family ,

but as i said ,with 7 billion on the planet now and they reckon 12 billion by 2050 glad i will be out of it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Al the retires that i know ,and thats quite a few are married with family and own or rent long term ,they are here to retire,the facilities here for them and us are fine ,we no longer need bars by the hundreds ,just a nice modern town with beach and countryside in easy reach.

As I said, i understand that. you may know a few but you are still there and Pattaya is dying so there is nowhere near enough of you to support a cities economy. It has not grown and thrived as "Snoozeville by the sea" for old duffers, it has been a party city for decades. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

The malls are still open. You also can sit on the beach. Is there anything else that motivates you to come here? 

let me reply to the question: Yes, anything else is also still open ...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I dread to think what the future holds ,i really do ,i was so lucky to be born when i was , not rich ,but not poor ,London in the swinging 60s and 70s ,got to meet so many people who became well known ,married and had liasons with many lovely girls and in the last 20/30 years of my life have a great wife and family ,

but as i said ,with 7 billion on the planet now and they reckon 12 billion by 2050 glad i will be out of it.

I have never known a generation to not say that. All say "the best days are gone", sorry fella but it's just nostalgia. Todays world is in a mess due to COVID but it will pass and the modern world is far better then the 60's and 70's for countless reasons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes all true. Mega profits for drug companies but it will stop the virus, quite important point that considering what it has done to the global economies. i still think Pattaya will not recover quickly though because it is already the city of "for sale" signs. No business person keeps flogging a dead horse forever so all the great things about Pattaya with small independent restaurants, shops etc will be gone.

It won't eliminate the virus, just control it better like the flu vaccines. People seem think a vaccine is the cure and all of this ends, then it goes back to normal, too late for that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It won't eliminate the virus, just control it better like the flu vaccines. People seem think a vaccine is the cure and all of this ends, then it goes back to normal, too late for that.

Nonsense, it is not the first global pandemic, it wont be the last.. History tells us it dies out, we survive and move on,, you have a very doom and gloom attitude, history is the best teacher,, except for you obviously.????

2 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I have never known a generation to not say that. All say "the best days are gone", sorry fella but it's just nostalgia. Todays world is in a mess due to COVID but it will pass and the modern world is far better then the 60's and 70's for countless reasons.

Sukhumvit was better ten years ago.......... tell me it wasn't ........

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

As I said, i understand that. you may know a few but you are still there and Pattaya is dying so there is nowhere near enough of you to support a cities economy. It has not grown and thrived as "Snoozeville by the sea" for old duffers, it has been a party city for decades. 

PMSL "Snoozeville by the sea" for old duffers ????????

Yes 100% correct, you go to Pattaya for booze, beach, birds and bonking! There never was much to do apart from those things, damn good too, but I always found BKK more entertaining.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:
1 hour ago, BernieOnTour said:

... not only Thailand! Also Germany, Spain, Australia, ..., 

Forget it! Who is so stupid to take a vaccine, developed and tested in less than year?

Add in to that: most of the vaccines based on some RNA/DNA segments - nice idea, to be a guinea pig in a huge gene experiment...

Actually it is not developed and tested in less than 1 year. The vaccine has been in development for about 5 years, the accelerated bit is the adjusting for it to specifically target COVID, do a bit of research. To develop a brand new vaccine in 1 year is impossible. So, my view is you would be stupid not to take it. I guess it's up to you..

The DNA from Covid 19 is injected into an existing vaccine and then testing begins. Phase 1 and 2 of the Oxford vaccine have proved very successful so they have now moved on to phase 3 clinical trials which, if successful, will result in a viable vaccine available early next year. AstraZeneca have already ramped up production in anticipation of a successful trial. AstraZeneca will have close to 3 billion doses available by the end of the year and that's more than a third of the worlds population in one tranche. So Pattaya may bounce back faster than we think.

I suspect the Russian vaccine has not been clinically trialled allowing them to bring it to market early.

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-09-02-development-of-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-expands-into-us-phase-iii-clinical-trial

3 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Nonsense, it is not the first global pandemic, it wont be the last.. History tells us it dies out, we survive and move on,, you have a very doom and gloom attitude, history is the best teacher,, except for you obviously.????

Doom and gloom, nah, I'm ok, going for a walk soon and may pop into the pub for a couple. Also setup Ableton Live 10 on my laptop to start producing some music, techno and trance probably maybe some progressive house too.

9 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

There are lots in Pattaya, including many bar owners on certain Sois, who deserve this. Others less so.  

"Deservedness" is a weird, medieval, Biblical concept. Bad things happen to "good people" and good things happen to "bad people." <deleted> just happens. We try to cope the best we can.

7 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Sukhumvit was better ten years ago.......... tell me it wasn't ........

Yes it was, Pattaya is going down the tubes, I think you have missed the entire point i was making.

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Doom and gloom, nah, I'm ok, going for a walk soon and may pop into the pub for a couple. Also setup Ableton Live 10 on my laptop to start producing some music, techno and trance probably maybe some progressive house too.

Lovely, good for you. So stop spreading doom and gloom then.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with plague and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Love the quote, hate the source.

9 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

I wonder if the golf courses will lower their green fees?  Does anyone know? Compared to Korat area, Pattaya golf is expensive even for average courses.. 

As for bars, clubs etc., I feel sorry for the workers, for sure, but i don't miss the scams they try on tourists when everything is rosy. Because there was always another mug to rip off coming along. But now there isn't. 
I believe westerners won't return in such large numbers when it starts to recover. It's just too expensive compared to up and coming rivals like  Vietnam, Cambodia, even Philippines.

They are not really rivals at all.

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

<snip>

The only way they can resurrect  Walking Street is with a complete face lift and change to business that are family friendly they need to find a way to attract Thai's.

People keep saying things like this, but what exactly does it mean? What are these "family friendly" businesses?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nout said:

They are not really rivals at all.

Erm, I think they are fella. Why would they not be? They are alternative locations that are nearby (ish), cheaper and more welcoming so of course they are competing for tourists in the Asean.

8 minutes ago, Madeline Thompson said:

It6 fee

it feels like a tragedy to me, too.  I've been to Pattaya numerous times, love the beaches, have no problem with Walking Street and its brand of exuberance, and generally felt quite safe and happy there.  The destruction of this city seems a deliberate political move.  All the baubles are being given to Phuket (or were - that appears to be a fantasy too). The issue is: if anyone wants to come to Thailand, and are willing to quarantine for 14 days - what is the problem?  It is the same 'marking system' if you want, that all Thai people have to adhere to, and in the world at large. Those who are willing will become longer-stay tourists - no point otherwise - and that will revitalize a country that has been very much alive until the advent of this pandemic, which has skewered common sense in Thailand.  A couple of cases and the government flies into a destructive panic. We have to live with this 'event' rather than taking the easy route,  destroying the lives of thousands of Thai people to save a few lives and - and more importantly - allowing the authorities to  'look good' to the rest of the world. Absolute foolishness.

The Chinese tourists were Thailand's wet dream!  They arrive in groups, stay in the same hotel, travel in the same coach, stopping to spend money here and there. In a week or two they go home. Minimal contamination of or interaction with the Thai culture. No chance of them hanging around or wanting to live here. The only thing more sexy would be to find some diabolical way to get the  money without having to have the tourists!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

That is true, at the moment they have their country back, but the realisation will sink in that things are not going to improve and then the people will get angry.

I am ready to lead !      err,  maybe you go first  tbf      or somchai ?  

give me a minute to put my costume on and i'll come right away ....

V for Vendetta (2005) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Timwin said:

Restaurant business is cruel and the margins are usually quite thin. Even 5-10 percent drop in traffic per month could mean closure in normal times and now we are talking about 80-90 percent down. Thais just do have the buying power and prefer home cooked meals or street food anyway.

Central Mall is quite busy on weekends (don't know during the week as I only go there on weekends). Some restaurants were doing well. MK was full when I walked past... but lots of Thai people walking around the mall will not keep most of these shops afloat. I wouldn't be surprised if the more upmarket shops went days with zero sales. I don't even like to walk in to many of these shops just to browse as I don't want to keep give the sales staff false hope for a sale... very sad!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It is sunny today, 22c, beer garden o clock. Enjoy your day too????

All it needs is some go go girls in the beer garden shuffling around and it will be perfect!

Fair play fella.. Enjoy...????