Koh Phangan: "Broken" foreign divers languishing in jail - expect deportation

webfact

I live on the island they have been languishing in cells now for at least a week that surely is punishment enough go to Koh Tao the fish are all around you it’s hard not to touch them when they nip you . Any divers reading this will be thinking very hard about coming to Thailand to dive you can see by the pictures all they are guilty of is picking up a sea cucumber would they have treated these guys any differently had they been involved in the cave rescue of those boys or when Raja Ferry 4 sank and foreign divers went to help .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

if they were thai divers this would not posted ,yet you can have your photo taken on the beach or around the nightlife with a beautiful doped up lizard  .double standards again. remember the lady who fed the fish with bread and got done for it. well done Thailand NOT  

Been a few in Phuket over the years

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Was it a protected area.......

regards Worgeordie

According the the original report, yes. 

They quote "Touching wildlife there warrants a 100,000 baht fine or a year in jail or both"."  

"They face a year in jail or 100,000 baht fine or both after it was determined they were in a protected area"

Edited by Kaopad999

7 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I live on the island they have been languishing in cells now for at least a week that surely is punishment enough go to Koh Tao the fish are all around you it’s hard not to touch them when they nip you . Any divers reading this will be thinking very hard about coming to Thailand to dive you can see by the pictures all they are guilty of is picking up a sea cucumber would they have treated these guys any differently had they been involved in the cave rescue of those boys or when Raja Ferry 4 sank and foreign divers went to help .

More fool the foreign divers, next time let the Thai's get on with it, you are not appreciated and at the drop of a hat you can get banged up

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Thailand is the lead plastic polluter in the World.  Its treatment of the ocean and over tourism on the coast is appalling.  These guys pick up a few bits of sea life and their lives are ruined! - why not accept their apology and use them to promote good practice and safe diving.

I agree the punishment seems to be very harsh, but these are two experienced divers that have been living out here for several years. So, do you think they are going to be forgiven for an apology when they must have known what the consequences would be for their own actions? If it was some tourists that didn't know better, then  i'm sure an apology would have been accepted.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

'Attila,44, told Thaivisa that he first came to the country 20 years ago and fell in love with the country, its culture and ocean'

Probably not so keen on that culture now then, people who claim to love the culture rarely seem to know much about it though.

• Like 1

I was just reading about the naga caves being closed due to “vandalism” by thais searching for the lottery numbers - obviously no witch hunt there - again another case of double standards. These guys brought it upon themselves but still .. 

• Like 2

as many people comment its absurd disgusting and down right racist,look at the pollution and damage on any beach by thais and the reefs as many have said......really i hope the embassies of these people step in and say ok we will treat your people in the same way.hungary may well do that.its about time the embassy and diplomatic corp did what theyre supposed to and stand up for their cirizens in such absurd situations  pathetic again as usual,always have an excuse not to do what theyre here for

• Like 1
  • Sad 1