Koh Phangan: "Broken" foreign divers languishing in jail - expect deportation

webfact

Just now, shackleton said:
2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

These kind of hostile news articles are exactly what caused expats to relocate elsewhere !

I some how doubt this will cause to many expats to relocate else where

Remember the grass is not always greener on the other side

But this is exactly what makes you want to  check out the grass on the other side.

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I doubt the animals cared. I mean, the sea cucumber does not even have a brain or central nervous system, to the dumb mindless thing is not likely to have emotions or feelings about the situation.  I doubt Mr crab is mentally scared for life also. 

eeeh don't let facts ruin a nice story of anthropomorphism !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Keesters said:

"play with a crab on beach or swim and play with a sea cucumber, it helps to protect nature in their life in the future"

Try asking the crab or sea cucumber if it wants to be played (man handled) with. 

please... no anthropomorphism.

I am pretty much neutral on the things they did or not do. I think the big lesson here is that Facebook seems to make people brain dead. Like people posting pics/videos of themselves naked by a Buddha statue, or underwater, etc. they are offering their own innocence or guilt for all to see.....for what? A little ego gratification! The world we live in today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

There's certainly not much diving in the caves of Chiang Rai. 

So you think not needed dive to get those boys out from cave!? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44761821

These brave "farang" guys was one reason those boys ever get out! They stop own life to help and even risk they own life's!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

With the photos shown it is impossible to prove their exact location. This is something obviously working against them assuming they are innocent.

I wonder if their dive entry and exit point was witnessed by anyone, or if they had interactions before or after their dive. That could help, if they are innocent. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

This whole thing is disgusting. Having been a diving instructor in Thailand with well over 300 dives in Thai waters I can tell you this is absolutely nothing and comparing it to what Thais do every day; from killing beautiful Trigger Fish who become to big and aggressive at dive sites dropping anchors and destroying coral beds, killing endangered animals with their nets often abandoned on coral or on the sea bed. Dugans, Turtles,  Dolphins and even Wale sharks killed either by accident or intentional.  This is like selling bread to tourists then throwing them in prison for feeding fish or picking up bleached seashells or dead coral then holding them till they have extorted hundreds of thousands from them and their families for their release. Yes great advertising within the dive community which is very small but connected internationally all around the world. A dive holiday in Thailand OMG you must be mad.

by all means if this is happening please report them ... 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

This whole thing is disgusting. Having been a diving instructor in Thailand with well over 300 dives in Thai waters I can tell you this is absolutely nothing and comparing it to what Thais do every day; from killing beautiful Trigger Fish who become to big and aggressive at dive sites dropping anchors and destroying coral beds, killing endangered animals with their nets often abandoned on coral or on the sea bed. Dugans, Turtles,  Dolphins and even Wale sharks killed either by accident or intentional.  This is like selling bread to tourists then throwing them in prison for feeding fish or picking up bleached seashells or dead coral then holding them till they have extorted hundreds of thousands from them and their families for their release. Yes great advertising within the dive community which is very small but connected internationally all around the world. A dive holiday in Thailand OMG you must be mad.

It's a very long time since I scuba dived and that was in the very cold and murky waters around the British Isles, but I cannot see what these two divers are being accused of apart from handling a sea cucumber, which I am sure came to no harm from its interaction with the divers. The divers maintain that they were not in a 'NO DIVE ZONE', but of course it's the Thai official who has the last say (in everything). For goodness sake, just give them a fine and let the matter rest and go after the Thai's who do so much damage to the ecology as pointed out in the quote above. I do hope that some sensibility will come out of this IMHO crazy prosecution. These people are not criminals so please use some common sense (If there is any in Thailand) and let the matter drop.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

I think because after arrest they revoked his visa/extension already, he is now here on amnesty.

The OP says that they were already on the amnesty but it would be revoked following their arrest. 

23 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Is correct we are all tourist also with Thai wife and children, why you thing you are resident ?

Strange illogical post, but no I have no illusions of residency I am on an extension of permission to stay based on Retirement. 

The thing that know-nothings refer to as a Retirement Visa. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

He may be on a Marriage Extension or a Non-O Visa and thus can't do the "90 day" border run. As a result, he'd be on the "Amnesty" as is/was anyone else that would have had to leave the country in order to renew a Visa.

True he may be, but the OP just says he was on the amnesty which will be revoked following his arrest. 

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

These kind of hostile news articles are exactly what caused expats to relocate elsewhere !

Not only "hostile news", but for me after 20 years, all the bureaucratic documentation, extortionate financial requirements, Thai bank documentation and Thai health insurance for my visa renewal - then 90 day/TM30 etc. visits to Immigration! Not for me, and I now live in welcoming Cambodia where next month I have to renew my annual retirement visa. All I do is pay 300 US$ to an official local agent because I am already registered on FPCS (foreign persons in Cambodia system). No other information required - so easy!

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

I agree the punishment seems to be very harsh, but these are two experienced divers that have been living out here for several years. So, do you think they are going to be forgiven for an apology when they must have known what the consequences would be for their own actions? If it was some tourists that didn't know better, then  i'm sure an apology would have been accepted.

then it obvious they knew about punishment so they wont do that unless they were sure what they are doing is okey because only 60% is considered protected so logic dictates they were in other 40%

• Confused 1