Full prep or "rust converter"?

topt

i thought I remembered a thread not that long ago talking about Hammerite type equivalents but the oh so wonderful Thai Visa search function could not find anything and a more general search only brought up something from 2 years ago.

Have around 18m of spikes on top of a wall which in (many) places are going rusty - see pic.

Is there a simple (less effort) solution or should one rub down and prime........and then of course topcoat? Oh and I probably will not be getting to the other side of wall.

spikes.jpg.6c11c24ca12ed193ef91a2dba17832c0.jpg

I am a big fan of OSPHO rust converter, and it will definitely provide a better, longer lasting coating,  but it's more work to use it than not use it.

The only way it would be easier would be if you did not want to do any prep or painting at all. You could just rag or sponge it on and be done with it. The rust will turn black and protect the steel for a couple years.  

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I am a big fan of OSPHO rust converter, and it will definitely provide a better, longer lasting coating,  but it's more work to use it than not use it.

The only way it would be easier would be if you did not want to do any prep or painting at all. You could just rag or sponge it on and be done with it. The rust will turn black and protect the steel for a couple years.  

Thanks just searched for it and came up with this article -

https://rustconverters.net/best-rust-converters/

I take it is generally available here?

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks just searched for it and came up with this article -

https://rustconverters.net/best-rust-converters/

I take it is generally available here?

I don't think OSPHO is (we imported it) but I know the Permatex product is, but it's in small containers and is expensive. I think TOA has a more cost effective product, you might look at that. 

The OSPHO was only about $10 a gallon with a 20 gallon minimum. Not sure what the TOA product costs. 

Most a liquids, some are gels but I think it's all pretty much the same thing, phosphoric acid.