UK appoints new ambassador to Thailand

webfact

so what.  What is the lyric from the Who: "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".  The Embassy is a waste of time, effort (which they don't put in) and tax payers money.  Just close it and have done with the embarrassment.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great! Then everyone here have a new face to dislike and continue to tell all the fabels how their embassy don´t help them. 

Let's hope he sees the position as a job, not a non-working holiday.  There is a lot of truth in the bad reviews given of many Consulates, if not also the Embassies on levels of enthusiasm shown to assist "their electorate", so to speak.   I have had problems with my own lot at times, And I am not even a "Moaning Pom" Brit !!!!!!   

47 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Unnecessary hoops? What is difficult about doing a transfer in say the third week of each month?

not difficult but many prefer to move money when they want or need to not when they are told to, take advantage of a better exchange rate etc. You think everyone should do as you do

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Mark Gooding OBE has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand in succession to Mr Brian Davidson. Mr Gooding will take up his appointment during summer 2021.

Can anyone name something he did to help British citizens?

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

not difficult but many prefer to move money when they want or need to not when they are told to, take advantage of a better exchange rate etc. You think everyone should do as you do

Not one bit Scuba. But if you build up your GBP or whatever you need to send, in a Transferwise Borderless Account, ie buy THB when the rate is good, and THEN send it to Thailand when you need to, you are not held to the exchange rate on the day you send it. 

I DO NOT think everyone should do the same as I do, but it works fine for me.

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Not one bit Scuba. But if you build up your GBP or whatever you need to send, in a Transferwise Borderless Account, ie buy THB when the rate is good, and THEN send it to Thailand when you need to, you are not held to the exchange rate on the day you send it. 

I DO NOT think everyone should do the same as I do, but it works fine for me.

Only a minority of people want a borderless account and would it even be classed as International so back to the jumping through hoops problem. One monthly transfer not International then kiss that extension goodbye. The income letter is a good option hence why most countries offer it

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Only a minority of people want a borderless account and would it even be classed as International so back to the jumping through hoops problem. One monthly transfer not International then kiss that extension goodbye. The income letter is a good option hence why most countries offer it

OK Scuba, up to you, but if you are British, USA, Aussie or Denmark the income letter is NOT a good option and so you must find another way around.

I find my solution to be very easy, no hoops, and for the last three years every transfer to Bkk Bank has been an FTT. Transferwise use Bkk Bank as their main one.

Many other guys on TV find it a very good solution also. 

2 hours ago, anterian said:

So we have one gay replaced with another gay, the UK must think Thailand is the right place for them.He seems to have a rather pro EU background.

And he probably thinks all his Christmases have come at once.

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, why complain about that? I mean income letter??? What possible need can you have? If the money is there, then just show them. No problem.

Immigration require 2 months of overseas income.

No problem.

If your embassy provides a financial letter, they insist on that.

The embassy (not British) requires official letter-headed documents from a company in your home country specifying your position and annual salary, with 6 months of transfers to your Thai bank account.

Your money overseas income doesn't come from a company in your home country.

Problem. 

2 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

Two year full-time language training - that's a good job if you can find it. Might the government be cheaper employing folk already with language skills?

ideally yes, however in the range of skills required to be a diplomat language skills are probably one of the easier to acquire, so i would think this situation is quite common. also the number proficient or fluent thai speakers in the diplomatic corps is not, i would guess, high.

30 minutes ago, samsensam said:

ideally yes, however in the range of skills required to be a diplomat language skills are probably one of the easier to acquire, so i would think this situation is quite common. also the number proficient or fluent thai speakers in the diplomatic corps is not, i would guess, high.

Believe me, I know its common place. But I bet if you were to run an employment advert where one of the requirements was a language proficiency, you would probably find folk easily enough and who also have a wide range of skills, experience and knowledge of regional/country affairs. Spending two years full time at the tax payers expense just seems a little much. 

Now if the said individual then spent the rest of his career (or even a good portion of it) working in that country and using those expensive language skills, I could understand. But looking at the CV, there doesn't seem to be much of a pay back.  Yes, he would be able to fulfil some sort of short term surge deployment if required, but then one could bring in an interpreter for that short time.  

As for Thai speakers, these guys will have been sent of language and cultural courses before taking up post, basic perhaps, but will get them through the niceties as a start for ten.

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Immigration require 2 months of overseas income.

No problem.

If your embassy provides a financial letter, they insist on that.

The embassy (not British) requires official letter-headed documents from a company in your home country specifying your position and annual salary, with 6 months of transfers to your Thai bank account.

Your money overseas income doesn't come from a company in your home country.

Problem. 

No problem. You can get letters of income and specification of your position from all of the companies in the world.

Unless you are trying to work by yourself, get payed in black, non taxed or registered, money. Then you have a big problem, but that´s illegal.

Edited by Matzzon

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

The embassy only accepts companies in it's country (your home country).

Immigration only accept the embassy letter.

Just stop it now. I know for a fact that you can as a non citizen of the country get for example both Embassy of Spain and The Consulate of Malta to verify income from companies in their country. And that Immigration accept such letter and count the combined sum as long as texas of the incomes are made in accordance to the law or agreement with Thailand and your home country.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Embassy of Spain and The Consulate of Malta

Embassy of Spain.

The Consulate of Malta.

????

The Embassy of a European country here only accepts government pensions or official company financial documents from a company in its (your) home country stating your position and annual salary, along with 6 months of salary payments to your Thai bank account.

If your company is from a country other than your home country. No financial cert.

No extension using monthly income from overseas, even though the immigration rules are a rather easy 40k for at at least 2 months. 

???? 

Happy to educate you, have a nice evening. 

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

Mostly because the income letters were stopped being issued. The updates on Covid and repatriation etc have been very good. Most of their work goes unseen hence why all the negative attitudes. Let's wish him luck in his new postition

No. I have been dealing with such officials in many countries for over 40 years. They are dreadful, useless, unhelpful and only interested in supporting business interests not ordinary UK citizens who need help. They are a special class of upper class  parasites funded by tax payers. They consistently neglect the needs of their citizens abroad.

Edited by Nout
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Embassy of Spain.

The Consulate of Malta.

????

The Embassy of a European country here only accepts government pensions or official company financial documents from a company in its (your) home country stating your position and annual salary, along with 6 months of salary payments to your Thai bank account.

If your company is from a country other than your home country. No financial cert.

No extension using monthly income from overseas, even though the immigration rules are a rather easy 40k for at at least 2 months. 

???? 

Happy to educate you, have a nice evening. 

You can educate however you want. I have been using it, and done it. So, I guess you have a nice evening instead, sitting troubled trying to solve your little problem. ????????