Confused as to what visa I need??

I arrived in Thailand Feb 28 on a 60 day tourist visa and intended returning to Oz on the 28th April but got stuck.

I am Married (13 years) and come twice a year with my wife who is Thai living in Oz to see family and use the 60 day tourist visa each visit ...

Now I need to extend my stay and have transferred 400K into an account in Thai bank but that hasn't been there 2 months yet and will need another month before it meets their rules ....

I am looking to go to Korat to sort it all out but my question is what do I need to do to get ?? 

What type visa can I apply for?

I have not used my extension (to make 90 days) on my Tourist Visa but assume that would now be defunct?

I would appreciate any advice please. 

Thank you ubonjoe that is very helpful...

Just another question? 

I have my original marriage certificate here but acquiring a Kor Ror 2 ??

I was married in Pattaya and reside in Sikhiu ... can I get it without having to travel to Pattaya Ampur to get it ??? 

Also what exactly is it in relation to ?? 

Thank you again, Jim.

A printout of your Kor Ror 2 marriage registry can be requested at any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht. Your wife can get one by just showing her ID card and completing a form.

A recent printout of the Kor Ror 2 proves you are still married. If divorced it would not exist in the database where they are kept.

• Like 1

Pay attention to this part in the PDF "DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED MORE THAN 15 DAYS BEFORE VISA EXPIRATION", so you have until tomorrow (technically only until today, but afaik they interpret it as "minimum 15 days" instead of "more than 15 days") to apply for a change of visa.

If you fail to do it until tomorrow you would first need to get some other extension, for example based on an embassy letter.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Pay attention to this part in the PDF "DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED MORE THAN 15 DAYS BEFORE VISA EXPIRATION", so you have until tomorrow (technically only until today, but afaik they interpret it as "minimum 15 days" instead of "more than 15 days") to apply for a change of visa.

If you fail to do it until tomorrow you would first need to get some other extension, for example based on an embassy letter.

For the change of status from tourist entry to Non Immigrant entry (using a visa applied for at immigration) as emphasised above, the application must be made at least 15 days before expiry of your permission to stay. Since, it appears, you have not used the 60-day extension, if necessary, you should be able to use this to extend your permission to stay until November 25, giving time to get all the requirements in place. The 60-day extension, in principle, can be applied for at any time up until September 26, but do it as soon as possible so you have time to react should there be any unexpected glitches.

• Like 1

First thing to do is to ask your grannie who has never left Britain and never had any visa of any description what you should do. This will serve as a benchmark for sensible advice and free up your mind for when you call the Thai consulate and get a different answer from everyone you speak to....and will be closer to the truth than most of them.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

First thing to do is to ask your grannie who has never left Britain and never had any visa of any description what you should do. This will serve as a benchmark for sensible advice and free up your mind for when you call the Thai consulate and get a different answer from everyone you speak to....and will be closer to the truth than most of them.

Problem is grannie passed away years ago but I will be off to Immigration today and let you know how I get on .... 

1 hour ago, Jimbob1 said:

Problem is grannie passed away years ago but I will be off to Immigration today and let you know how I get on .... 

If your not familiar with the Immigration rules and don't know what you should be applying for, then many Immigration officers will take advantage of your 'naivety' and suggest the corruption method (agent), where they receive a bigger pay check.

One step at a time.

To apply for and obtain a 1 year extension of your permission of stay, you firstly need to acquire a 'Non O' type Visa. The Non O Visa application only requires the 400K to be in a Thai bank. The 1 year extension requires the 400K to be in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Although your current permission of stay has been automatically extended until Sept 26th, many Immigration offices do not deem this amnesty extension as valid to apply for the Non O Visa.

You should therefore apply for the 60 day extension to visit Thai wife, which will grant you a valid permission of stay stamp.

From that 'valid' stamp, you can then apply for the Non O Visa and the subsequent 1 year extension.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 8:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

The first thing you will have to do is apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. To apply for it the 400k baht only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply.

Requirement for the visa is here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 day of the 90 days you can a apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. That is when the 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months.

The visa application and extension will require about the same supporting documents and etc.

This is my general list for them. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

You will apply at Korat immigration if that is the province you are living in.

Thanks for this. I am in a similar boat but entered on a 30 day visa exempt in March. I have extended my stay for an extra 60 day (until Nov 25) due to being married to a Thai, but information on the Non O visa process was hard to gather at Immigration.

15 minutes ago, rowdyone said:

Thanks for this. I am in a similar boat but entered on a 30 day visa exempt in March. I have extended my stay for an extra 60 day (until Nov 25) due to being married to a Thai, but information on the Non O visa process was hard to gather at Immigration.

Non O marriage.pdf

You'll need to deposit 400K in a Thai bank account, in your sole name.

Edited by Tanoshi

Well..... When I got to the immigration office yesterday the 11th the woman told be I could get a short extension and I was asking for a Non O ... she went through my papers and saw I had obtained the Kor Ror 2 the day before and my bank letter that morning with 400K ... she then said "let me go talk to my boss" she came back and said yesterday the 10th was the cutoff time for Non O but helped me fill out all the paperwork and after 5 hours I have my visa number although I have to go back Monday and take 2 sponsors and house photos .... but Woo Hoo ....

Thanks so much guys for your advice as everyone was helpful and I was dead lucky to say the least ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbob1 said:

Well..... When I got to the immigration office yesterday the 11th the woman told be I could get a short extension and I was asking for a Non O ... she went through my papers and saw I had obtained the Kor Ror 2 the day before and my bank letter that morning with 400K ... she then said "let me go talk to my boss" she came back and said yesterday the 10th was the cutoff time for Non O but helped me fill out all the paperwork and after 5 hours I have my visa number although I have to go back Monday and take 2 sponsors and house photos .... but Woo Hoo ....

Thanks so much guys for your advice as everyone was helpful and I was dead lucky to say the least ????

Glad it worked out. It seems you have a friendly immigration office. Consider taking a nice food item for the office to share when you go on Monday.