Highway Code - Rules Of The Road

During my last trip to Thailand I was kindly leant a car. I know this is Thailand and people drive differently, i.e. overtaking on the inside etc. But what I'd really like to know is, do the 'official' rules of the road differ to those in the UK. In the UK we have the 'highway code', is there a Thai equivalent? Is it much the same, are the rules internationally standard?

I'm curious as after nearly hitting a car while I was trying to turn left I wondered how he would have reacted if I'd told him he shouldn't be overtaking on the inside, or how an insurance company would react (let's suppose for arguement I'm a Thai citizen to eliminate any bias).

Maybe I'm wrong and these things arent set in rules or taught.

As you've discovered Thais and us Brits drive on the left, here all similarities end.

There is a Thai 'Highway Code' although I've never seen an English version, apparently it's perfectly legal for motorcycles to go the wrong way on a dual carriageway!!.

Just watch what the locals do, if you don't feel safe (turning left on red [not always legal BTW] for example) don't do it.

Apply your UK skill set and always check your left side mirror for motorcycles and trucks before turning and you will be fine :o

During my last trip to Thailand I was kindly leant a car. I know this is Thailand and people drive differently, i.e. overtaking on the inside etc. But what I'd really like to know is, do the 'official' rules of the road differ to those in the UK. In the UK we have the 'highway code', is there a Thai equivalent? Is it much the same, are the rules internationally standard?

I'm curious as after nearly hitting a car while I was trying to turn left I wondered how he would have reacted if I'd told him he shouldn't be overtaking on the inside, or how an insurance company would react (let's suppose for arguement I'm a Thai citizen to eliminate any bias).

Yes, there is a motorist code here in Thailand. But, in many ways Thais seem to take it as advisory rather than compulsory.

Overtaking on the inside (even on the shoulder) is common and dangerous. Watch for motorcycles.

BTW, if you are driving a rental car your foreign license (with a IDP) is enough. If it is a private car you need a Thai license in order for Thai insurance to cover you. Crossy, a member here, is an expert on this subject of driving in Thailand...maybe he can add his insight.

Edited by corkscrew

As you've discovered Thais and us Brits drive on the left, here all similarities end.

There is a Thai 'Highway Code' although I've never seen an English version, apparently it's perfectly legal for motorcycles to go the wrong way on a dual carriageway!!.

Just watch what the locals do, if you don't feel safe (turning left on red [not always legal BTW] for example) don't do it.

Apply your UK skill set and always check your left side mirror for motorcycles and trucks before turning and you will be fine :o

Hey, you are fast and thorough!

There is a Thai 'Highway Code' although I've never seen an English version

The English version is here

http://geocities.com/bkkriders/law/handbook/index.html

Thanks farma, I knew I'd seen something on the net. Looks like this is a real Thai publication, sadly the source link is dead so updates are unlikely :o

Ever seen a Thai giving hand signals (page 7)??? or for that matter a policeman blowing his whistle ONCE or a motorcycle with only TWO passengers or less than 50kg of freight?

EDIT The rest of the BKKRiders site is well worth a read too http://geocities.com/bkkriders/law/index.html

Edited by Crossy

If it is a private car you need a Thai license in order for Thai insurance to cover you. Crossy, a member here, is an expert on this subject of driving in Thailand...maybe he can add his insight.

We've had riders added to our cars' policies that validate anyone with an IDP (along with the underlying foreign license). Didn't cost us anything to do, but I wanted it tacked onto the policies just in case.

We've had riders added to our cars' policies that validate anyone with an IDP (along with the underlying foreign license). Didn't cost us anything to do, but I wanted it tacked onto the policies just in case.

Sounds like a smart idea, who are you insured with?? Our insurance lady seemed convinced an IDP wouldn't be enough for full cover (1st class on our new Ranger) this was with the insurance recommended (sold) by the dealer (Cycle and Carriage) unfortunately I'm not near the docs to check the company.

Somewhat moot point any way as I'm the only farang who drives it.

FARMA, thanks. This proves I’m wrong.

http://geocities.com/bkkriders/law/handbook/drive15.gif

‘It is legal to overtake on the left side of the road while you are driving on the road which there are two traffic lanes or more going in the same direction.

Did you know that? I didn't? Excuse me for saying but I’m surprised that nobody has highlighted this MAJOR difference between Thai / UK driving regulations.

‘It is legal to overtake on the left side of the road while you are driving on the road which there are two traffic lanes or more going in the same direction.

Did you know that? I didn't? Excuse me for saying but I’m surprised that nobody has highlighted this MAJOR difference between Thai / UK driving regulations.

Er, you did mention it yourself in your original post, although you obviously didn't realise it's legal you were fully aware that it's done (still bloody unsafe legal or not) :o

The vehicle you nearly hit when turning left was probably still in the wrong (or were you turning from one lane out?).

Drive defensively, and if you dont like the driving here keep out of cambodia, they use both sides of the road and having lights on during the day is illegal, having none at night though is not !

Yes, there is a motorist code here in Thailand. But, in many ways Thais seem to take it as advisory rather than compulsory.

Overtaking on the inside (even on the shoulder) is common and dangerous. Watch for motorcycles.

BTW, if you are driving a rental car your foreign license (with a IDP) is enough. If it is a private car you need a Thai license in order for Thai insurance to cover you. Crossy, a member here, is an expert on this subject of driving in Thailand...maybe he can add his insight.

i CAME OUT OF FOODLAND YESTERDAY AND TURNED LEFT INTO THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC, I NEARLY HIT A BIKE COMING AT ME ON MY SIDE OF THE ROAD, IF I HAD HIT HIM I KNOW IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAULT FOR BEING IN THAILAND, HAD I BEEN IN THE UK THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED ( THAI PHILOSAPHY ) I KNOW. I SPELT IT WRONG !

i CAME OUT OF FOODLAND YESTERDAY AND TURNED LEFT INTO THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC, I NEARLY HIT A BIKE COMING AT ME ON MY SIDE OF THE ROAD, IF I HAD HIT HIM I KNOW IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAULT FOR BEING IN THAILAND, HAD I BEEN IN THE UK THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED ( THAI PHILOSAPHY ) I KNOW. I SPELT IT WRONG !

The attached drawing shows my recollection of a motorcyclist turning right onto a dual carriageway. This doesn't really surprise anyone who drives in Thailand regularly, however, the rider was actually coming out of the license office, probably with his shiny new license in his pocket.

post-123-1177728182_thumb.jpg

Page 14 - "Overtaking Safely"

"When overtaking another vehicle, you must pass along the right and the passing must be done on the left"

If this is a literal translation from the Thai, it's no wonder the driving here is somewhat erratic.

:o:D

I had this accidend alreay 10 years ago. Motorbike overtake me on the left side when i was driving in the front of a big truck un the outer left line and i want turn left to a gasstation. Motorbike hit my car fron the back, i could not see him because of the big truck behind me. But motorbike came to fast and had no drive license. Anyway police doesn't care that. I had to pay. Police told me that motorbikes always have a right to overtake on the leftside, even i drive already on the leftest line. It's anyway like this: You can't go to the court for a small accident, because they will confiscate your vehicle until the court have cleared out. This can take a longtime. So you better pay a few tousend bath, even you are wrong, than let your car in the policestation for 6 months. That's the game they use to play with. So the rule: Drive a junkcar and you don't lose much, in case of a accident, when they try to put the fault on you, because you are a farang. If the other vehicle is more expensive than your junkcar, then you can play the game opposite way, and they will accept theyr fault, because they will not let theyr car in a policestation for a couple months.

Sounds like a smart idea, who are you insured with?? Our insurance lady seemed convinced an IDP wouldn't be enough for full cover (1st class on our new Ranger) this was with the insurance recommended (sold) by the dealer (Cycle and Carriage) unfortunately I'm not near the docs to check the company.

Somewhat moot point any way as I'm the only farang who drives it.

It is a good idea to have it. My wife says we do....but, I am not sure.

The following website may not be 100% correct yet but I believe it makes more sense than that translation

http://freebeerforyorky.com/drivinginthailand.html

You’ve done a good job on the site Yorkie.

A couple of other suggestions.

If possible could you add in the little Thai signs at the traffic lights that say you can’t turn left when the lights are red. They're only at certain traffic lights.

There are a couple of traffic lights in Ubon where you get a green right turn arrow at the same time oncoming traffic have a green straight ahead light.

It’s also common for drivers to drive through a red light near the curb at T intersections if they are traveling straight ahead.

“When traveling straight through at green traffic lights, beware that if one motorist thinks he has time to turn right across your path, there’ll be others following behind him.”

I’ll add, as soon as the light turns to green, the right turn drivers also think they have the right to turn before straight ahead traffic comes across the intersection.

Ever seen a Thai giving hand signals (page 7)

I see there is a difference in the hand signal for turning left.

UK hand signal: counter clockwise circular movement with right arm

post-21260-1177799003_thumb.jpg

Thai hand signal: repeatedly move right arm from horizontal position up to the roof and back to horizontal position

post-21260-1177799212_thumb.jpg

In the UK guide, there is a footnote to say that optionally, the hand signals may also be given by a mechanical or flashing indicator. In the Thai guide, on the other hand, it says that the hand signals are usually given if the vehicle’s light signal is not available.

--------------

Maestro

If possible could you add in the little Thai signs at the traffic lights that say you can’t turn left when the lights are red. They're only at certain traffic lights.

Thanks for the input Farma.

I know where there is a sign which prohibits left turns on a full red light and also one which permits driving straight through a 'T' junction against a red light. I'll get the trusty camera out and attempt to get pictures.

Cheers

I don't think it IS actually illegal to pass on the left in the UK...i.e. there is no such offence....filtering in traffic is quite legal. If you undertake at speed on a motorway in the UK you will probably be charged with driving “without due care and attention” or “dangerous driving” or something like that….this means you can always argue the toss...

However there ids a law that states that outside lanes are only for passing slower vehicles...they are not "fast" lanes and on passing the vehicle should return to the near-side lane, thus "undertaking" should be largely unnecessary.

Edited by wilko

The following website may not be 100% correct yet but I believe it makes more sense than that translation

http://freebeerforyorky.com/drivinginthailand.html

Excellent site Yorkie, can you add some red crosses to the last couple of illustrations, then have it translated into Thai and distributed amongst the populace. Two copies for the police. :o

There are also signs in Thai only, black on white, on the side of the road below the level of usual signs that tell important things like "no parking on even days" or "right turn only from 6.00-8.00 and 16.00-20.00".

Khonkwan, I don't want to argue extensively where exactly you were stopped. What I wanted to say initially that there are National highways and Regional highways (different color on the maps) and that "left lane only" rule doesn't apply to national highways. I swear I'm not making this up and I think I've read it somewhere here (in one of the old links posted on TV).

There are also signs in Thai only, black on white, on the side of the road below the level of usual signs that tell important things like "no parking on even days" or "right turn only from 6.00-8.00 and 16.00-20.00".

Khonkwan, I don't want to argue extensively where exactly you were stopped. What I wanted to say initially that there are National highways and Regional highways (different color on the maps) and that "left lane only" rule doesn't apply to national highways. I swear I'm not making this up and I think I've read it somewhere here (in one of the old links posted on TV).

Hi Plus

I can only tell you about my personal experience, and what I've seen happen to others. I'm talking about Route 32, which becomes Route 1. It is also known as the Asian Highway (Sia Asia in Thai). It is national highway. Furthermore, HGV-driver friends also instructed me to make sure that I kept left (referring specifically to this road) except for brief overtaking whilst driving my own lorry or the police would certainly stop me. In fact, come to think of it, I was also stopped one night whilst driving my 6-wheeler in the outside lane (usual story - the inside lane was atrocious). The cop on this occasion let me go on my way though after checking my licence - he was a bit surprised at seeing a farang behind the wheel.

I'm not suggesting you are making this up - I hope you do find something that disproves me.

Rgds

Khonwan

EDIT: Plus, I've just realised that your post here, to which I'm replying, should have been in the "Passing Lane, For passing only" thread. Not to worry - just pointing this out for the sake of anyone who may be confused.

Edited by Khonwan