Ford Mustang 5.0

AlfHuy

Just for the record I'd have that orange colour in the Mustang in a heartbeat. Always believed if you're going to drive a head turner then it should be bold, not boring Thai Black or Thai White or Thai SIlver ????. Same - the only colour for a ferarri shoud be red.

In my long working career, most of the time my various employers provided a company car, with not a great deal of personal choice. I'd say half the time I got Fords and never had a problem with any of them. This 'bad name' Ford has in the USA is just that, a USA issue.

Edited by Saltire
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The whole business of complaining that you could buy something in Farangland for cheaper than you can here is meaningless, because you're not in Farangland, you are here, and here is where you will use/consume the product.  Tell me I can buy a burger in Bingleyboing Idaho for $2.00 less than I can in Thailand and I'll laugh at you, because I am in Thailand, and I am hungry now, and the time and cost for me to fly to Bingleyboing Idaho would far outweigh the $2.00 

I have a simple process for deciding whether to buy something or not:

image.png.b225ac5860bd4eb3b8004396598fabb8.png

Whereas, all too many seem to go through this one, and effectively remove the actual buying part from the process:

image.png.36f868f5c7d8df274fc433dc1488b4f3.png

I suspect there's also more than a hint of the circular "I like it, but I can't afford it, so I don't like it" argument going on in many people's minds - 

I love the look of that car.

I want to buy that car.

I can't afford that car.

I don't want that car.

I hate that car.

Anyone who buys that car is an idiot!

The system is out to rip me off!

As also mentioned in some previous posts, Thailand does not have a large income tax base with which to fund the government with, making the system here more of a "user pays" one than the West, where the middle class essentially subsidises other consumers' sales and import duties through their income taxes.  Here, you want something, you pay the taxes when you buy it.  You don't want something, you don't pay the taxes.  I actually prefer the Thailand way, and would advise you to be careful what you wish for.  The savings I make by not having to declare and pay taxes on income I earn out of the country - which I definitely would be doing if I lived in the West, greatly outweighs having to pay more for a car I may buy once every 3 to 5 years, and I am far better off here.

very nicely written.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, jackdd said:

That there is a 300% luxury tax on such cars is not a secret.

But it's also interesting to see that they are actually getting 1,150.000 when selling such a car (if you add 300% import duties and 7% vat you end up at the 4.9 million THB for which they are sold in Thailand). Obviously from this they still make a profit, or they wouldn't sell it. This shows that production cost is surprisingly low and they probably have a quite impressive profit margin in other countries.

Its not a luxury tax.... its the going rate import tax.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, elgenon said:
On 9/11/2020 at 10:25 AM, AlfHuy said:

just back from the morning prayer (in style)

B5D1085E-4124-49E1-9917-A9CAF5A0035C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Why show a car that, clearly, couldn't have been in Thailand and a 'monk' that, clearly, wasn't a Thai monk?  What have either got to do with Mustangs in Thailand?

On 9/11/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mansell said:

Driving on the main highway to Jomtien and at the side of the highway was a nice new Mustang that had broken down. One more reason I won’t buy a Ford.

What was wrong with..... assuming you actually stopped and diagnosed the issue to come to the conclusion it was broken down.

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, JIMHILL said:
On 9/10/2020 at 1:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Was is beautiful or was it orange?

Punctuation is a rare art

...and that includes those awkward full stops that "JIMHILL" hasn't mastered!

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In TVF some years ago there was an article of cars in Thailand waiting to be paid tax by the importers.

The custom storage facilities were loaded with these cars, just standing there. Not being payed for.

In the meantime customs had to take care for the cars.

There was an auction this year, the same cars? No 300% tax? 

Cars sold at government auctions are sold at the winning bid price, they are not subject to import duty, no reason for them to be as the sale proceeds go to the government anyway.

Edited by Hi Tea

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Thailand does not have a large income tax base with which to fund the government with,

Thailand's Revenue Department's THB2,000,000,000,000+ in 2018 would disagree with you on that!

Edited by Hi Tea

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

Cars sold at government auctions are sold at the winning bid price, they are not subject to import duty, no reason for them to be as the sale proceeds go to the government anyway.

They are also already in the country. That said, the market is what it is and the duties drive up the value of used cars as well.

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So you were making up the bit about getting a bag of chips for a quarter, yes? 

I was just stuck in the US (CA, FL, TX, GA) from the end of February to mid August. 

Yes, you can get good prices on big variety packs of lunch size bags.

Not sure guessing, whenever home I load up to bring back to the family stuff at Costco, one items I always need to bring back is a large variety pack of those small chocolate doing so I need to walk down the same isle and notice the chips based on cost and number inside the large bag I just kind of guess .25 cents I think I'm close?????????

When it comes to Americans cars although I kept it for 20 years 1991 Jeep Limited Cherokee ( Lemon ) I said never American again and have stuck with Toyota and never turn back. Although I've looked at the Ranger like it but that is it.

I do still think about how disappointed when my older brother gave away his 1965 Mustang 289 engine and I missed out on an Estate Auction 1966 Mustang Fastback mint condition I was outbid by 10 bucks.

Edited by thailand49

26 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure guessing, whenever home I load up to bring back to the family stuff at Costco, one items I always need to bring back is a large variety pack of those small chocolate doing so I need to walk down the same isle and notice the chips based on cost and number inside the large bag I just kind of guess .25 cents I think I'm close?????????

When it comes to Americans cars although I kept it for 20 years 1991 Jeep Limited Cherokee ( Lemon ) I said never American again and have stuck with Toyota and never turn back. Although I've looked at the Ranger like it but that is it.

I do still think about how disappointed when my older brother gave away his 1965 Mustang 289 engine and I missed out on an Estate Auction 1966 Mustang Fastback mint condition I was outbid by 10 bucks.

What chocolate do you get at Costco? I always bring See's back.

At a quarter, I'm I'm you're 40-50% low. In any event, comparing the price of a single bag of chips at Tops with a box of 40 at Costco is not really fair. Compare a single bag of chips at Tops with a single bag at Ralphs.

Have you ever dated a girl that turned out to be a psycho and them say never again?

I've never been a fan of the Mustangs, but in '75 a buddy of mine in high school bought a '67 GT500 for $1,400. I thought he got screwed. He still had it a couple years ago, still original and complete but for the paint...

Fords I've had: '53 F100, '67 Econoline, '68 F100, '89 Festiva

Chevy: '63 Chevy ll coupe, '67 van, '74 C30 

Buick: '73 Centurian, '72 Electra 225, '73 Electra 225

GMC: '99 Sierra, '74 GMC 6000

Toyota: '86 van, '89 FX16, '00 Hilux Tiger, '18 Fortuner

Isuzu: '03 Dmax 4D, 4WD, AT, '08 Highlander, 3l, AT, '12, Highlander, 3l, AT, '17 Highlander, 3l, AT, '15 Spark

All of the vehicles were pretty good, some of them were company cars. 

The nicest was the Buick Centurion

The cheapest to operate and most trouble free was the '89 Festiva

Most fun to drive in traffic, the '89 FX16

Least fun to drive in traffic, the '86 Toyota van

Best road car (not considering fuel economy)  the Centurion

Most problems, the '72 225, followed by the '73 225

Most pleasant surprise, the '89 Festiva 

Biggest disappointment, the '18 Fortuner

I was stuck in the US for five months this year and my sister loaned me her '09 Mazda 6 V6 sport for the duration, that was a great car. 

Need to buy something for my next year, probably go with an Isuzu.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, Yellowtail said:

Believe what you like, but (again) if the duty was high on 3l diesel engines, you would not be able to buy a pick-up with a 3l diesel engine for B600K.

comparing the price of pickup truck with Mercedes S-class????

18 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

almost the same.

I paid for my Wildtrak the same as a fully loaded S500E. (almost)

I hope you mean you bought used S500e almost at the price as wildtrak. Otherwise, I would love to visit that dealer sold you 8 million baht Wildtrak.

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Reading comprehension and critical thinking not a couple of your strong points huh?

???? well, please do look in the mirror and read out loud what you wrote above

You claimed your S-class was expensive because of the import duty on parts, primarily the large (sub 3L) diesel engine and the  transmission. I pointed out that were this true, you would not be able to buy a pickup with a large diesel engine for B600K whereupon you claimed I was comparing the price of a pick-up with the price of an S-class, which I was not. 

I am truly sorry you are not able to grasp it, but the difference is clear. 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What chocolate do you get at Costco? I always bring See's back.

At a quarter, I'm I'm you're 40-50% low. In any event, comparing the price of a single bag of chips at Tops with a box of 40 at Costco is not really fair. Compare a single bag of chips at Tops with a single bag at Ralphs.

Have you ever dated a girl that turned out to be a psycho and them say never again?

I've never been a fan of the Mustangs, but in '75 a buddy of mine in high school bought a '67 GT500 for $1,400. I thought he got screwed. He still had it a couple years ago, still original and complete but for the paint...

Fords I've had: '53 F100, '67 Econoline, '68 F100, '89 Festiva

Chevy: '63 Chevy ll coupe, '67 van, '74 C30 

Buick: '73 Centurian, '72 Electra 225, '73 Electra 225

GMC: '99 Sierra, '74 GMC 6000

Toyota: '86 van, '89 FX16, '00 Hilux Tiger, '18 Fortuner

Isuzu: '03 Dmax 4D, 4WD, AT, '08 Highlander, 3l, AT, '12, Highlander, 3l, AT, '17 Highlander, 3l, AT, '15 Spark

All of the vehicles were pretty good, some of them were company cars. 

The nicest was the Buick Centurion

The cheapest to operate and most trouble free was the '89 Festiva

Most fun to drive in traffic, the '89 FX16

Least fun to drive in traffic, the '86 Toyota van

Best road car (not considering fuel economy)  the Centurion

Most problems, the '72 225, followed by the '73 225

Most pleasant surprise, the '89 Festiva 

Biggest disappointment, the '18 Fortuner

I was stuck in the US for five months this year and my sister loaned me her '09 Mazda 6 V6 sport for the duration, that was a great car. 

Need to buy something for my next year, probably go with an Isuzu.

If you look back I'm not the one that is comparing prices in regards to the chips I made a generalization but now want to be exact. When I use the Kettle chips it was more in relationship to the difference in taste as noted I love chips and the chips here just don't taste the same that is the same with ice cream remember that is in general.

See's candy yes good but what I get and the family, ladies here is the variety package they include, Snickers, Reese peanut better cups, M&M, package by Costco Kirkland, 150 of them for $16.00 they go crazy for them here.

When it comes to vehicle never has been really big on them my 2nd and 3rd one was a 68 Chevy 396, and 65 Chev 427, nothing but problems every paycheck was spent to keep them up it wasn't until I got so tired my mom co-sign a loan and I purchased a brand new 71 Volks Super Beetle with a AM/FM, Sunroof best car I ever had drove and went everywhere when I gave it up I had close to 300,000 miles same clutch same trans and motor. I've been pretty much foreign until the Jeep after the Jeep it has all been Toyota. If they had a Toyota Tundra without the large price tag here it would be in the driveway right now!