Ford Mustang 5.0

AlfHuy

5 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Yes - tax here is about 300%

i had a 2016 mustang GT convertible - cost me just under Aus $70k. The same car in Thailand had a list price of the equivalent of $230k!  I looked into importing my car to Thailand. LOL. It would have cost me almost the same amount to bring my car here!

I bought GF a Honda HRV here 2 years ago. Cost the equivalent of Aus $52k - same car could have been bought from dealer in Oz for $35k.

many things are cheap in Thailand.  Cars are not!!

even second hand cars go for silly money here...

True.

I wanted to bring my 640 Cabriolet to Thailand. Was 4 years old and was quoted 3,000.000baht import duties.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

A demonstrator, registered in 2020, a few miles, you get for 38k £, that is around 1,550.000baht

That there is a 300% luxury tax on such cars is not a secret.

But it's also interesting to see that they are actually getting 1,150.000 when selling such a car (if you add 300% import duties and 7% vat you end up at the 4.9 million THB for which they are sold in Thailand). Obviously from this they still make a profit, or they wouldn't sell it. This shows that production cost is surprisingly low and they probably have a quite impressive profit margin in other countries.

Edited by jackdd

Certainly crazy car prices here. My  friend in Australia just took delivery of top of range fully optioned Non turbo Honda Civic made in Thailand. This was brand new and he had to wait 2 months to get colour.

Price A$26000 which converts to 572000 baht.

Same car here would be 900.000 plus and would have less options.

So does the manufacturer get the extra 300,000baht to subsidise exports or is it government taxes?

Maybe the manufacturers just think the Thais are all wealthy.

About 20 years ago someone i knew brought few used Benz cars from the UK into Klong toi without doing his homework and got hit with a massive tax and import chargers that he had no choice but to leave them behind there to rote in the port...  

Edited by ezzra
  • Sad 2

300% luxury tax on auto imports over 3000cc.

Unless the engine, body and chassis are all imported separately, then reassembled in Thailand. Which is a bit illegal, but has saved a few Lambo owners the odd 15 million baht or so. 

It's also seen a few get their prized lambo confiscated. ????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Agreed.  I have told some Thai friends and friends in Australia that it is cheaper to buy a Thai made car in Australia than it is in Thailand!!!  They did not believe me.

When MG brought out the V8, it was cheaper to buy new in Japan and ship it to England than buy one there.

Go figure the logic in that 

• Haha 1

What do people expect? In a corrupt society the wealthy pay little income tax, the middle classes are relatively few & not wealthy by 'Western' standards, and the poor have no money. So the government, corrupt & incompetent, can't rely on income tax as its main revenue (as in 'Western' countries).

They have to rely on good & services taxes (VAT, GST etc). And import duties on luxury items are big on the list.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

What do people expect? In a corrupt society the wealthy pay little income tax, the middle classes are relatively few & not wealthy by 'Western' standards, and the poor have no money. So the government, corrupt & incompetent, can't rely on income tax as its main revenue (as in 'Western' countries).

They have to rely on good & services taxes (VAT, GST etc). And import duties on luxury items are big on the list.

How are there few middle class? Have you redefined middle class?

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How are there few middle class? Have you redefined middle class?

Many - not all - of what counts as 'middle class' here would be counted amongst the urban poor in The West.

• Sad 1

Just now, mfd101 said:

Many - not all - of what counts as 'middle class' here would be counted amongst the urban poor in The West.

Middle class, earning around 30k a month.

I know a few working as lecturers at Uni and even some Dr's, working solely government hospitals. They are at around 30k.

Barely any middle class income.

52 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

If you don't know, just say you don't know, don't just dodge the question and regurgitate additional propaganda.

How do you define middle class, can you answer that?