What would a border run or visa run to a neighboring country entail?

5 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Fly

8 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

do you need to quarantine in those countries after arriving in them (cross the border to Laos or Burma and need to quarantine there for 14 days, for example)?

Are embassies or consulates in these countries supplying Thai visas?

Can you cross the border back into Thailand, with or without a visa?

Do you need to quarantine at a state facility in Thailand upon arriving back?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is about a 99% chance of that happening. A certificate of entry would be required and a 14 day quarantine.

• No tourists can enter
  • Thai nationals.
  • Foreigners who are holding a valid non-immigrant B visa (with Work Permit) and those with the extension of stay of Non-immigrant B visa (with Work Permit), including their spouses and children.
  • Foreigners who are granted permission (WP3) from the Ministry of Labour to work in Thailand and their families.
  • Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant D and F visas as part of the diplomatic corps and their families.
  • Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant O visas who are spouses, parents or children of Thai nationals.
  • Foreigners who hold Certificate Permanent Residence including their spouses and children.
  • Foreigners who are students of formal educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students.
  • Foreigners who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendants. However, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID–19.
  • Foreigners who are invited by the government and those who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement including Thailand Elite Members.
  • Foreign migrant workers with official documents.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

With the current situation, what would a border run or visa run to a neighboring country entail, if there is no change in border or quarantine policies?

The ability to swim across a wide river un-detected.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

No border runs.  Fly, extend visa or hope for amnesty extension. 

Yes, JacksSmirkingvengeance, no border runs. I just went today(11 Sept-Friday) to Hua lamphong train station, behind the counter the Thai lady with a sour face like a wrinkle lemon said, "Border close train only go Hat yai".  At once my face which is ugly became more ugly from what she said and it also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I immediately felt that I have been in this make believe kingdom for far too long and now woken up to reality- the ultimate reality so to speak. (fookit)

Edited by poloshirt

5 hours ago, Know not me said:

What part of the borders are closed do these people not understand?????

It's not that they don't understand, they are hoping against hope that somewhere the border is not closed properly, they could just sneak pass it after paying a little mooney to the border guards. Have you seen the accommodations of the border guards in south of Thailand? Miserable looking they live there with their families you know.

I really would like to give them a little tipping if not for those cameras inside the buildings. My sympathy is always for those who work for peanuts.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

All neighboring countries are closed for entry with the exception of Cambodia but it has restrictions and requires a specific visa issued by their embassy to enter.

Yes indeed and for reference:-

"Cambodian Visas

The Government of Cambodia has suspended the e-visa and visa-on-arrival programs until further notice. In addition, we understand Cambodian Embassies will only accept applications for diplomatic, official, and business visas and will not issue tourist or other visas to enter Cambodia at this time".

Cambodia's land border is CLOSED for visa runs and entry into the Kingdom can only be achieved by flying into Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville International airports. Siem Reap airport is only handling limited domestic flights at this time.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, fred110 said:
  • No tourists can enter
  • Thai nationals.
  • Foreigners who are holding a valid non-immigrant B visa (with Work Permit) and those with the extension of stay of Non-immigrant B visa (with Work Permit), including their spouses and children.
  • Foreigners who are granted permission (WP3) from the Ministry of Labour to work in Thailand and their families.
  • Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant D and F visas as part of the diplomatic corps and their families.
  • Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant O visas who are spouses, parents or children of Thai nationals.
  • Foreigners who hold Certificate Permanent Residence including their spouses and children.
  • Foreigners who are students of formal educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students.
  • Foreigners who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendants. However, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID–19.
  • Foreigners who are invited by the government and those who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement including Thailand Elite Members.
  • Foreign migrant workers with official documents.

Yes a good example would be the non O with spouse/family which plenty of folks would be holding & then the technicality that one don't really need to leave the kingdom at some border posts while simply stamping out & in again with an informal 'bribe' to get the neighbor country stamps as it always were so why not still?
Perhaps some border agents could do the helpful push in order to ensure no unnecessary req. such a quarantine, certificate of entry which would all be inapplicable as again entry is not from abroad but from within technically. 
Of course it takes 3 cooperative IOs to accomplish the feat of a fresh 90 day stamp especially if currently on amnesty...

Chances of success perhaps not only 1% but somewhere between 0-100% perhaps 25% or 75% with an agent?

• Like 1

Nothing personal OP but do you live in a bubble or something? A land far away with no internet, TV or other foreigners? I find it hard to understand people who don't at least know the basics of the current situation.

I can't think of anyone that I know who's connected to Thailand and doesn't know that entry to Thailand is very restricted and that if you leave for a 'visa run' you're going to be very disappointed. You will firstly have to be in one of the groups eligible to return and if you are, secondly, be able and willing to comply with the requirements to apply for a Certificate of Entry.

Depending on where you apply for a COE, you may also need to be thick skinned enough to be able to accept some of the non sensical things you will be to told to do - things like book a flight and an ASQ hotel without knowing what date you will be allowed to travel. You are unlikely to be able to use either of those bookings so you'd better hope they are refundable (many flights are not refundable if you fully cancel of you own choosing).