Leaving the country what to expect on leaving amnesty

12 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

There is very little a country can do when there are no repatriation flights. How do they want to deport overstayers?

If there are genuinely no flights back to your home country, then clearly (arrested or not) you cannot go back. That is the logic for allowing extensions with embassy letter. However, most nationals can return to their home countries but, if still here, do not wish to do so.

You will typically find that, once in the Immigration Detention Centre, people make returning to their home countries a much higher priority. If only possible on repatriation flights, their embassies will give those awaiting deportation priority (always assuming those affected can raise money for the fare or can borrow the money from their governments).

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, BritTim said:

Come September 23, you will then complain bitterly that there has been no announcement from the Thai authorities, except Immigration repeatedly informing you that there will be no amnesty extension, and your assumption that Immigration was lying. You will ask how everyone gambling on a further amnesty can be expected to fly out within three days. That is what I expect to happen, but I truly hope you will be lucky.

I got my embassy letter - not taking chances. 
But, if what you suggest is the case, maybe they should tell Their Own IOs to quit saying things like "80% Chance the Amnesty Will Be Extended" (Phuket).

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

But, if what you suggest is the case, maybe they should tell Their Own IOs to quit saying things like "80% Chance the Amnesty Will Be Extended" (Phuket).

That you would state this surprises me. You have been in Thailand a long time and I would expect you to know better. My own observation is that Thai officials make pronouncements all the time, with supreme confidence, based on no facts whatsoever. It constantly gets those unused to Thai officialdom into trouble, but should not mislead those with experience. I have yet to see a single case where spouting nonsense got an official into trouble unless it was done in a way that caused a superior to lose face.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That you would state this surprises me. You have been in Thailand a long time and I would expect you to know better. My own observation is that Thai officials make pronouncements all the time, with supreme confidence, based on no facts whatsoever. It constantly gets those unused to Thai officialdom into trouble, but should not mislead those with experience. I have yet to see a single case where spouting nonsense got an official into trouble unless it was done in a way that caused a superior to lose face.

I did not say it was "good advice" - or that IO-pronouncements are reliable.  That is why I got my embassy letter.

But it is not helpful for IOs to say such things - setting people up for a difficult-time, if it doesn't happen.  If I were to guess why this IO said this - options:
1) Knows something about the future plans.
2) Is making his own guess, w/o knowing anything.

3) Will get bigger agent-payoffs for extensions closer to the deadline, so setting folks up for this - specifically, folks whose embassies are being (explitives) / not issuing letters easily.

I have no idea which it is.  None would surprise me.

Im flyinb home on the 25th, i hope it isnt busy at the immigration desk in bkk airport. Atleast the airport wont be jam packed like it used to be.

Im bringing to misses and kids over to the uk eventually, Thailand will just be a holiday destination to me now, not somewhere to live until i retire maybe.

I have 20/30 years left until retirement any way.????

On 9/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, sandyf said:

You are asking the wrong question to the wrong person.

What you should be asking is why "those with jobs and/or family" have put themselves in a difficult position.

I was here on a ME non O from HCMC and well aware of the risks involved, if push came to shove I accepted that I may have to return to the UK and sit it out, possibly for many months. Fortunately the government's time on amnesty gave me the time to get the 12 transfers under my belt and I have just made the conversion.

Nearly everyone has had the opportunity to leave but there has been a reluctance for various reasons on the part of many to leave, reasons that would be of little consequence to the government. To many the main objection will be cost and inconvenience but that does not equate to no solution.

There is no dispute that the situation took a turn for the worse quite suddenly but there is no obligation on the government to compensate on a long term basis. Those that cannot leave for medical or travel problems have the opportunity to stay on short term extensions.

There is nothing untoward about the government trying to ensure that every foreign national once again has a valid stamp in their passport, it's about moving forward.

and Thailand has done so much more that other nations have in regards to this 'amnesty'. Well done on you for utilizing the time given to remedy your problem. imo many folks just kept on 'keeping on' believing they struck tourist gold when in reality they've made the huge rookie mistake of procrastination. By not taking advantage of the time given to improve their visa situation (or by planning an organized departure) they've also put themselves in the firing line of overstay and a hasty ill planned exit.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Thailand has done so much more that other nations have in regards to this 'amnesty'.

Which nations exactly?  Every other country in southeast asia either has ongoing amnesty, or has made it very easy for anyone to get a paid extensions indefinitely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

which nations have amnesty exactly, and how many are the nations that tourists here are from?

Malaysia and indonesia have ongoing free amnesty for all foreigners.  Literally every other country in the region has implemented an inexpensive and easy paid extension for all foreigners. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Malaysia and indonesia have ongoing free amnesty for all foreigners.  Literally every other country in the region has implemented an inexpensive and easy paid extension for all foreigners. 

You are trying to muddy the waters.

In Indonesia everyone has had to have a valid visa, initially they issued emergency visas and now have an online system.

Now tell us which country allowed people to do nothing and run around without a valid stamp in their passport.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Where do you see / find this information as i would love to read more about it i have friends who had to move out of malaysia due to visa expiring and they had business and house there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Where do you see / find this information as i would love to read more about it i have friends who had to move out of malaysia due to visa expiring and they had business and house there.

I worked there for a few years and no they won't allow you to stay without proper visas. My whole point previously was that the people that are complaining are from countries that would never allow you to stay without legal permission. And being here after the 26th without the proper paperwork is no different than those floating across the creek from Calais imo..

8 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

With a google search you can quickly find many articles about it.  The "social visit pass" referred to in the article is sort of malaysia's equivalent of "permission of stay", and this applies to all visa types and visa exempt entries.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/malaysia-closed-to-tourists-until-december-77174.php

Malaysia closed to tourists until December

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has announced that the country’s Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO), which maintains strict travel restrictions, will remain in place until Dec 31, 2020.

Initially, the RMCO was due to expire on Aug 31, reports TTR Weekly.

As long as the RMCO is in place, foreigners who have a ‘social visit pass’ (tourist visa) that expired after Jan 1, 2020 will be permitted to leave Malaysia without incurring any fines or penalties. The concession does not apply to social visit passes that expired before Jan 1, 2020.

Thailand has given foreigners a much shorter grace period that ends on Sept 26. Foreigners will need to apply for a visa extension or leave Thailand to avoid penalties by the deadline.

Edited by Phillip9