Thailand's tourism industry won't recover from Covid-19 for many years, says top Thai bank

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They said it could be 4 years before things get back to anything like normal. 

Can you let T.A.T know, and the Phuket governor.

Maybe they will plan something for their local residents, other than sitting in empty bars waiting for mas tourism to re-start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

"Thailand's tourism industry won't recover from Covid-19 for many years, says top Thai bank"

Dear Khun Phachornphot, I give you a hint:

It's only partly Covid-19 itself which causes this. The bigger part is your Thai compatriots and governments paranoid reaction on Covid. You should think a little bit more about this!

A little reminder. Tourism was already struggling before Covid-19.

• Like 1

theyre lucky so far as

Madrid brings in fresh virus restrictions as Spain hits 500,000 cases

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/madrid-brings-fresh-virus-restrictions-095300294.html

Madrid has brought in new restrictions on social gatherings, restaurants and bars as Spain tries to curb a spike in coronavirus cases while millions of pupils return to school this week.

A ban on outdoor meetings of more than 10 people was extended indoors because most recent outbreaks of Covid-19 were linked to family meetings or mass drinking sessions organised by young people called botellones.

Funerals, burials, weddings and religious ceremonies as well as tourist events also faced new restrictions.

The crackdown came as Spain became the first western European country to report more than half a million coronavirus cases.

1 hour ago, Derek918 said:

For years I have read ThaiVisa, and read the comments from trolls. How easy it is to criticize, but no one has an answer on how to solve the problem. I feel that the PM has done a great job protecting the people of Thailand. Now the hard part, how to keep it safe for the people of Thailand & the Expats. Yes you can open the borders and let everyone in, the businesses will be happy, the people will be happy to get back to work, but when it hits the fan again, will you the trolls take responsibility for your actions? Or will you slither back under your rock to avoid responsibility. Everyone wants to take credit when it’s positive, but will point to everyone else but themselves when it goes bad. I don’t see anything wrong in doing the 14 day quarantine. What I may add is requiring them to wear a RDIF wristband to keep track of those in quarantine, because problems happen when those people in quarantine don’t care about other people in the community, only themselves. People feel it’s their right to visit any country they want with disregard of the wake of problems they may leave behind. Just look at the countries around the world, as of 9/11, USA 129,522 deaths, UK 41,697 deaths etc for a total of 909,828 deaths in the world, Thailand 58 deaths. Their doing something right. Source John Hopkins University. I live in Pattaya Thailand, I feel safe, I would like to continue to feeling safe. I’m from Hawaii, Hawaii has the same problems as Thailand, in letting in tourists. Because when Hawai’i did let in tourists, because those tourists didn’t “self quarantine” like they said they were, Hawaii is facing a second wave. So before you criticize, if you live in another country, look at your own country on how they are dealing with this pandemic before you criticize Thailand.

Well, your second sentence is not entirely correct. I, for one, have mentioned that one solution might be to discount tourism as a major earner and start developing a strategy to concentrate on something else. Other posters have had other suggestions too. But then this requires effort and perhaps a lot of time AND perseverance but those in power simply prefer to come up with 'this & that' scheme for tourism. This bank OP has really politely said what many here have been saying for yonks. The government should be thinking along the lines that tourism is basically dead, change tack and develop/ expand something else. If tourism shows revival in a couple of years or so then  that would be a bonus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

BUT BUT they are introducing a new 90 day renewable tourist visa for 2000 thb per person in October we will be fighting for the sunbeds 

"BUT BUT they are introducing a new 90 day renewable tourist visa for 2000 thb".

You don't really believe that do you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1