Thailand's tourism industry won't recover from Covid-19 for many years, says top Thai bank

webfact

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd be more interested to know how much money has been - and will continue to be lost - from the Thai economy from money exchange. Must be pushing billions

yes good point,i wonder how difficult it would be to access foreign currency here too...say trying to change a wad of baht for US dollars for example?...i have n't tried,but without foreign tourists coming in and exchanging foreign currency i bet there's little to be found.

19 hours ago, Benmart said:

Bruno's, Cherry's, Wooden Box and many more. Some closed before Corvid due to the dwindling, non-Chinese patrons. The tourism policies before Corvid, the shortsighted "make money while you can", a shaky and unpopular "government", internet truths about assaults and crimes in the LOS; exposés about roadway carnage and government corruption, all played a part in the current chaos.

And there's the truth....covid just topped it off...no sympathy for thailand and their generals.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, greeneking said:

I would say 25000 is pretty well paid.

12000 is OK in many places.

Some who have lost their work are picking up 100 baht a day and free food.

It was an average. There are alot of Thais who make between 50,000 and 200,000 per month. So, it averages out. I believe the world bank has the average at just under $600 a month. I found this online, for 2019. My guess is the average will fall in 2020. The year of the catastrophe, and the catastrophic and cowardly follow up by the tiny army men. 

The average monthly income per household in Thailand was highest in the Greater Bangkok region, which amounted to approximately 41.9 thousand Thai baht in 2017. In that year, the average monthly income of the whole kingdom of Thailand was around 26.95 thousand Thai baht.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect they are being optimistic.

If countries domestic tourism gets real people might find they prefer to holiday at home without the hassle of excessive airport security, expensive insurance and expensive flights.

IMO this is more world changing than the 2007 financial disaster, not because of the virus per se, but because of government's ( IMO ) over reaction.

Let's face it TBL ......  Thailand has ONE major advantage over those "home countries" that keeps a pretty large (in numbers and weight)  group of   errrrr  feminine adventure seekers coming  ( no snide remarks needed).

Family oriented travel experiences in Thailand ?    yeah, beaches and nick naks....oh,  and temples.

What do people do at temples anyway ?   photos !    right, sorry

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Let's face it TBL ......  Thailand has ONE major advantage over those "home countries" that keeps a pretty large (in numbers and weight)  group of   errrrr  feminine adventure seekers coming  ( no snide remarks needed).

Family oriented travel experiences in Thailand ?    yeah, beaches and nick naks....oh,  and temples.

What do people do at temples anyway ?   photos !    right, sorry

What RIDICULOUS comment - do you seriously think that  prostitutes in Thailand are the reason that nearly 40 million people visited the country last year.

You really think that this works for all the women who visit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

555 Aim at the right target.  Why rate the ordinary soldier as second rate.   They are afterall only a product of their training.  Aim your venom at those with high rank, the usurpers who may wear a Generals uniform, but may not Deserve to,  they are responsible for all that happens.  

Thailand's military has never been put to a test by a professional army. My guess is in a real war, the generals would skedaddle to Switzerland, and the grunts would head for their villages.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It was an average. There are alot of Thais who make between 50,000 and 200,000 per month. So, it averages out. I believe the world bank has the average at just under $600 a month. I found this online, for 2019. My guess is the average will fall in 2020. The year of the catastrophe, and the catastrophic and cowardly follow up by the tiny army men. 

The average monthly income per household in Thailand was highest in the Greater Bangkok region, which amounted to approximately 41.9 thousand Thai baht in 2017. In that year, the average monthly income of the whole kingdom of Thailand was around 26.95 thousand Thai baht.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. The average income in my GF's village is 2500 baht/month. My GF's father gets a government age pension, 800 baht/month because he is over 80. Woop de doo.  If my GF does not turn up at the local wat on the tenth of each month to collect it, no carryover to the next month.

Sorry, IMO your data is skewed. By the odd billionaire or two. Or maybe you believe what the Thai government puts out to make everyone feel good.

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

What RIDICULOUS comment - do you seriously think that  prostitutes in Thailand are the reason that nearly 40 million people visited the country last year.

You really think that this works for all the women who visit?

I am well respected for my ridiculous comments.    If you don't like that one,   I have others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, thasoss said:

And there's the truth....covid just topped it off...no sympathy for thailand and their generals.

Foreigner's , trapped in this situation in Thailand .

We remain silent, and prepare for the next hoop ..

Edited by elliss

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. The average income in my GF's village is 2500 baht/month. My GF's father gets a government age pension, 800 baht/month because he is over 80. Woop de doo.  If my GF does not turn up at the local wat on the tenth of each month to collect it, no carryover to the next month.

Sorry, IMO your data is skewed. By the odd billionaire or two. Or maybe you believe what the Thai government puts out to make everyone feel good.

Thailand has the 3rd biggest rich/poor divide in the world after India and Russia.

No social security to speak of and millions on the poverty line.