60% of tourism businesses in Thailand face closure, workforce’ income slashed by 47%

webfact

16 hours ago, Blumpie said:

You're right.  

You cannot have a tap like this turned off without serious economic fallout.  And it has only just started.  

Those businesses shuttered won't be back in for at least several years.  

5 yers just can’t see it tbh ,Thailand and world economy find it difficult if it’s another year but 5 years no chance this might be when it’s all put behind us to a degree

Edited by flago007

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

are they going to keep going on and on about it  ?

Thailand is not the only country in the world affected.

Thailand is not the only country to keep going on about this exaggerated pandemic. 

You live in Thailand, is it really a surprise that you hear the Thai news?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so, when will the government say:  was it all worth it ? 

killing the economy over a panic ... 500+ extra suicides because of covid  vs 58 "official" deaths

More than 500 lives have been saved by less travel and the alcohol ban, just saying, the Kung Flu has actually saved lives in Thailand.

19 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Steven  you do understand the people you accuse of "going on and on about it" are simply the admin of this weBsite, TVF.   They are providing fodder for the site  and that's their job.

If true that is a sad comment in TVF curation. There is no news story in any of this that is anything other than annoying.

58 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

there is no way I would travel 800 Kms to Bangkok with the current situation nor would I want a dentist with his hands all over my face .

Why wouldn't you travel? I flew to Bangkok recently and it was very comfortable.

Why do you think a dentist would have the flu?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, petedk said:

It seems several houses are now being rented out for parties for HiSo's, for gambling or other "activities" ( no control, free flowing drinks, unlimited number of guests, wild orgies with young "pretties"). Yes, I have seen them.

Not Hi Sos, just normal Thai people. I was at one this week but I don't drink and have orgies ???? 

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Maybe now while you are waiting for the foreign tourists to return you can give serious thought to not biting the hand that feeds you!

It is funny how they can come up with number. There are zero tourists coming into thailand. this number  would be 100% of the business going under.. where is the money is coming from paying the staff and do nothing. 47% staff reduction. where did they get the money to pay 53% of their staff.

This sory is not realizstic.. they should use the 100 % or zero nobody is coming into thailand. again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

60% of tourism businesses in Thailand face closure, workforce’ income slashed by 47%

as bad as it is or as it looks, maybe it's a good thing and only the ""good"" ones will survive, thus natural selective clean up of good service providers....I know, I know, wishful thinking

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Steven  you do understand the people you accuse of "going on and on about it" are simply the admin of this weBsite, TVF.   They are providing fodder for the site  and that's their job.

Steven only cares about showing the government in the best possible light. He is infatuated with Generals.

he is a shill.

• Thanks 1

Shouldn't be a problem. Did yous read the News that the Government is Looking after the Countries  Workforce? 

The revised plan for 2021-2022 will be proposed to Cabinet next week, said Danucha Pichayanan, deputy secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC).

The so-called Special Strategy Master Plan focuses on foundations to support economic recovery and transformation by ensuring people have jobs to survive, vulnerable groups are cared for, and local communities have employment and opportunities. 

Yea & Pigs might Fly .

• Like 1

The estimate is consistent with the  GDP split indicating that domestic tourism  represents a large part of the  tourism sector.

It isn't as bad a hit as some make it out to be. If it gets rid of the low end fire trap places, then  good.I can think of a few over priced hotels  where I have stayed that i do hope go bankrupt.

Around 60 percent of businesses operating in the travel and tourism sector in Thailand could be forced to close permanently due to the impact from COVID-19, according to a new study by the Asia Foundation

Sounds good to me, the remaining 40% will be sustainable on the environment, and much more pleasant for everyone here.

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Many of the greedy tourist businesses were dying anyway, better just put them out of their misery. 

Agreed there has been an over supply problem for a number of years now,  you cant just open a lock up throw some paint about  and expect instant wealth, you see it in pre CV19 days open close open close and people wonder why landlords ask for money up front

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

signs of a severe and prolonged contraction that will rival the Asian Financial Crisis of the late 1990s,

It would be far worse. The 90’s collapse and the devalue of the currency was great for tourism and brought billions in revenue.  This time tourism is also effected.  The finance minister has just resigned.  Prepare for a wild ride......

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I have said this many times before but it needs repeating ad nauseum. THE CCP CORONAVIRUS  CAME FROM WUHAN CHINA. The Chinese (CCP) knew that the virus was capable of human to human transmission yet covered up the fact and allowed travel from the source , Wuhan, to Thailand, America, Europe and all corners of the globe.

The people of the WORLD, Thailand included, have the Communists Party of China to thank for all of the death and financial misery. Thailand should remember this before they let their beloved brothers from the Middle Kingdom back into Thailand to bring their next new viral present to the Land of Smiles. 

When would be a good time to welcome the Chinese hoards back? HOW ABOUT NEVER!!!!!

Thank you Tom.....nail on the head.

These CCP <deleted> should never be allowed to forget what they have done..... again!!!!!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

I understand where your coming from. The media just post BS and numbers and anything, I don't care who re-posts it. up to them.  it all bs anyway.

That says more about your economic illiteracy than anything. 'I can’t understand the numbers,the wider economic implications alluded to,nor the quantitive comparisons ,so I’ll just mindlessly blurt out ‘it’s all BS '. 

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

are they going to keep going on and on about it  ?

Thailand is not the only country in the world affected.

Are you being deliberately argumentative/trolling? This site is called THAIVisa, so obviously most topics are about Thailand! 

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Are you hoping for an extension of the free visa amnesty ?

it certainly doesnot help that all stranded turists are expelled after 26 sept

i have stayed 5 months here , thanks to extended visa and spent a lot of money in hotels, shopping, spas, restaurants, jazz clubs supporting turism sector but now I was told to leave while I don't represent any risk of virus. With all these wealthy stranded turist having to leave turism sector shall not get much better