60% of tourism businesses in Thailand face closure, workforce’ income slashed by 47%

webfact

6 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Steven  you do understand the people you accuse of "going on and on about it" are simply the admin of this weBsite, TVF.   They are providing fodder for the site  and that's their job.

I understand where your coming from. The media just post BS and numbers and anything, I don't care who re-posts it. up to them.  it all bs anyway.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Why you go 300 bth/night cockroach hotel!? Those kind not bother me! Those are quick lunch <deleted> place's for thai police officers!

i can see the "curtain closing"  on many of those places as well .     wink  wink

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@sandyf it's surprising that the Thai domestic tourism is not able to prop up the whole system..

Since 10s of millions of wealthy Thais who normally are huge spenders abroad are now stuck in Thailand to do their massive spending that Thais are known for all over the world.

I'm very surprised. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bodga said:

today i bought a  bottle  of  coke it said 12  baht on the side yet the woman told me it was 13baht is  this  how desperate they are?

Forgive them for they know not just how greedy they are!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The study's finding that income has been slashed by 47% isn't surprising but so many Thais who relied on tourism were probably being paid a pittance - the bulk of the money goes to a select few at the top (owners/managers/operators) - the ordinary workers will probably just return to their villages. Yes, they can't match their former salaries, but they'll have minimal overheads too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jadee said:

The study's finding that income has been slashed by 47% isn't surprising but so many Thais who relied on tourism were probably being paid a pittance - the bulk of the money goes to a select few at the top (owners/managers/operators) - the ordinary workers will probably just return to their villages. Yes, they can't match their former salaries, but they'll have minimal overheads too. 

Returning won't be that easy. In my village a notice has been put up that says Thais returning from abroad or areas in Thailand affected by covid ie anybody who lived outside the village, must self isolate for two weeks. I can't see families being willing to take the risk as they would have to isolate as well and there would be an extra mouth to feed in these troubled times. Nobody in my village has returned in fact one man has gone to join a fishing fleet in Malaya.

60% LOL more like 80% even dentists are desperate I have been undated  this week with emails regarding dentistry implants as I enquired several months ago 4 different companies all offering big discounts if I book on line immediately, there is no way I would travel 800 Kms to Bangkok with the current situation nor would I want a dentist with his hands all over my face . With no tourists shops, stores , restaurants, taxis, massage parlours , bars, hairdressers , tattooists the list is never ending are going to be affected . I for one am doing my best to use my local Thai shops rather than the Makro , Big Cs and Tesco as they are big enough to make ends meet but the little old Thai lady selling her vegetables or pad Thai has not much hope .

Edited by crazykopite

15 hours ago, petedk said:

60% of tourism business face closure. Probably very true, but....... a lot, and I mean a lot of new businesses have opened in the last few months.

Many houses near us have suddenly set up kitchens in their gardens and are delivering food via Grab, Panda or whatever. Are they registered? i doubt it.

It seems several houses are now being rented out for parties for HiSo's, for gambling or other "activities" ( no control, free flowing drinks, unlimited number of guests, wild orgies with young "pretties"). Yes, I have seen them.

That is just in the soi where I live. What about all the other places?

is it open every Saturday night  ?  what time does it start ?

address please ... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

is it open every Saturday night  ?  what time does it start ?

address please ... 

Not only Saturdays. It could be any night!

Could start anytime from late afternoon and continue for 2 or more days.

Address?  I think these parties are noisy enough without having more people there. haha. I guess they are private parties too.