Prepare Toilet/Plumbing for Absence

madisongy

I am trying to locate some RV/marine or pool coolant/antifreeze to have a friend dump into the toilets/drains in our condo since we're still stuck out of the country.  I've covered all drains and the toilet bowl with tape/plastic wrap prior to departing, but of course that only slows the evaporation, and does not stop it completely so the drains are drying up.

Does anyone know where I can find such products in Bangkok, and best if I could order from Lazada so I don't have friends chasing this stuff down.  In my initial search, was not able to come up with anything on Lazada.

Alternatively, anyone doing something different that works for this?   (ya know, outside of troubling a friend to stop by more frequently as it takes an hour to get to our place)

Many thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I've never heard of anyone being so concerned about their toilet before going on vacation 

But you know its terrible feeling when it start haunt you! Woke up middle of night all sweat and only what you can think is your potty!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Just a coating of vegetable oil on the surface of the water will slow evaporation down considerably. Just pour a bit in and of course it will float naturally

Yeah, that's pretty good Tonray.  Sounds completely plausible....certainly should slow it.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

The likelyhood of needing antifreeze to protect your toilet is slim to none...turn off water valve going to toilet (if there is one), flush commode...now there is precious little to worry about.

The simple objective is to keep water in the traps to prevent the sewer gases from seeping in.    

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rocket3rider said:

I use a shopping bag with sand in it, tied up and placed in the toilet bowl.

Same over the floor grates.

Plugs pushed in.

Outstanding Rocket3rider.  I heard a variation on the bag idea, using water in sealed bags.   Sounds like a winner for the bowls, and your thought on pushing in the plugs reminded me of pipe plugs.  I'll get the below for that as I may be vacating for longer periods in the future......(of course, that's predicated on getting back IN to Thailand at some point)

Thanks for brainstorming.

pipe plugs.JPG

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Would i need to do something like that when leaving America for a long time?

Unless you want to give roaches and sewage smell ( and in Thailand an occasional serpent) unimpeded  entry, recommended indeed.

Edited by KKr

9 minutes ago, KKr said:

“Locked out” is not a vacation

I think you can't do anything! And who care smell if you not there! Can haddle in 15 minutes when come back! And in next week i think i feel great not (locked in) when i reach Finland! Even cold, rainy , sorry nice clean air...... Then go in bar and take my first gold beer whit good whisky (from scotland ????) i feel great! I think now i really going to enjoy that! See friends and realice , not come back before late 2021!

Life is and then we die! I going to enjoy every moment in Finland! Hope all better in 6 to 12 month(not going to be) . Can still dreaming!

If you don't have shutoff valves for every toilet, shower head, and sink then install them and shut them before you leave.  The plastic tubes can pop out of their connectors at any time.  I have had this happen twice in 20 years here, but fortunately I was home at the time.  When I moved I installed shutoff valves if there isn't one.  Great insurance.

27 minutes ago, treetops said:

How will that keep water in the OP's bog?

Believe it was offered as an additional safeguard - and indeed all water should be cut for such long term absence.  I could really be a mess with drains blocked, as suggested and broken water mains pouring water into home. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Traps? Very few houses have them unless you custom-built your own. Wish we had some!

Actually believe most have, or have replaced with, bell traps for the last several decades - the problem is people who like dry floors as they do not hold much water so need to replace often.  Most are even less water than below example.

image.jpeg.85fb2f1359cf9e03854b93588cc4ce31.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 9:39 PM, KKr said:

Unless you want to give roaches and sewage smell ( and in Thailand an occasional serpent) unimpeded  entry, recommended indeed.

Thanks, I was just wondering if the plumbing needs might be different. I have no problem with sewage smells when I have left for 3 months, and very few roaches where I live. I think too expensive for them. 555  I've only seen one in 30 years and it was in my garage.

But maybe if I leave longer there will be problems. That's why I asked.

5 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

What traps are those? 

All traps but especially bell traps used as floor/shower drains (which dry out quickly).  But thread is about keeping water in bowl of toilet as that and bend is likely the only blockage on most toilet lines but much less an issue for anything but long term non use.