Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

4 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

You require insurance to renew retirement extension? 

Also are you saying if you leave Thailand for a short time you need insurance to come back?

1. Yes if your original visa was O-A. No if it was non-O.  This requirement came into ev=ffect about a year ago.

2. At this time yes, everyone entering must have at least $100k in insurance that includes COVID cover. It is a special COVID-era requirement not a normal Imm requirement.

And, of course, many retirees cannot re-enter at all, only those with Thai spouse or child are currently eligible to enter.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, jeffandgop said:

So they're going to force tourists to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and stipulate it must remain untouched and nothing withdrawn during their stay in Thailand?   

What money are you suppose to live on if the money has to stay in the Bank during one stay.

The minimums Thai wage is is  350 Baht /Day. How does the government expect them to live on that and at the same time require 800,000B for a foreigner. What is the object of having 800,000 in the Thai Bank of you can't spend it. I'm sure this will encourage many tourists to come to Thailand

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, jeffandgop said:

So they're going to force tourists to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and stipulate it must remain untouched and nothing withdrawn during their stay in Thailand?   

Good idea to encourage more tourists to come to Thailand . 

11 minutes ago, Percy P said:

What money are you suppose to live on if the money has to stay in the Bank during one stay.

The minimums Thai wage is is  350 Baht /Day. How does the government expect them to live on that and at the same time require 800,000B for a foreigner. What is the object of having 800,000 in the Thai Bank of you can't spend it. I'm sure this will encourage many tourists to come to Thailand

Because Thais only pay 30 baht for the hospital Thaksin implemented that just saying.

I am always amazed by the creativity of Thai authorities.

I wanted to see if there was a chance to go there during winter as I've been in Vietnam since the covid started. But I am not too surprised it is a dead plan.

Why they just don't keep borders closed and offer extensions to the last tourists already inside the country instead of this non sense Phuket visa?

Anyway the tourism will be dead till next spring at least. There is not much which can be done unfortunately.

Gambling on rich tourists coming by charter who would like a golden prison for 2 weeks is so stupid.

They should better keep the few left and COVID free who are already there instead of dreaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Perhaps he was not in CM. Costs are much higher in Bangkok.  Inclusive of meals and nursing charge this would be about right for Bumrungrad and for a private room there , ranges are 13 - 25k not including the luxury suites.

in any case, room rates are a minimal part of a hospital bill and not a good basis for estimating cost.

Sheryl...sorry....nobody is paying an *extra* 10k per night to upgrade from a 4 person room to a 2 person room....period.  And to use Bumrungrad as a comparison is quite disingenuous. 

Samitivej Sukhumvit....private room...

B80E26D4-D743-4078-89A3-13D5A8C2FF66.png

11 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Sheryl...sorry....nobody is paying an *extra* 10k per night to upgrade from a 4 person room to a 2 person room....period.  And to use Bumrungrad as a comparison is quite disingenuous. 

Samitivej Sukhumvit....private room...

Why is it "disingeneous"? Since he was described as being in a 4 bedded room in a private hospital, my guess is that he was probably in Bumrungrad as that is one of the very few private hospitals that has 4 bedded rooms.

You are right though that it would not be 10K additional, more like that in total.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

I paid ฿1,800 for a suite when I had shoulder surgery done at Rajavej (a private hospital in Chiang mai)

here are the current rates for Chiang Mai Ram Including the costs for an ICU room (one of the most expensive private hospitals in Chiang a Mai.   So...no...your wife’s brother in law absolutely did not pay “a further 10k/night“ to upgrade from a 4 bed shared room to a 2 bed shared room.  

https://www.chiangmairam.com/room

C1115575-EC6D-4658-A9F8-680BE74C8A17.png

If you want to be a smartxxxse and call me a liar, up to you, I don't have to defend the truth.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Perhaps he was not in CM. Costs are much higher in Bangkok.  Inclusive of meals and nursing charge this would be about right for Bumrungrad and for a private room there , ranges are 13 - 25k not including the luxury suites.

in any case, room rates are a minimal part of a hospital bill and not a good basis for estimating cost.

Yes it was Bangkok, and my post was merely observations regarding a query on insurance but unfortunately the dxxkheads cannot help themselves. It's a good job those with 'I know better than you' syndrome don't have to be hospitalised, wallet would go into cardiac arrest.

It's nobody's business what was being paid for, the point was that Thais are not insulated from substantial medical bills, their cover may not meet some of the services that may be necessary.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Never, there is no funding available to locals, yet alone foreigners. There is no welfare system to burden. This is Thailand trying to punch above their weight again,,, if someone from a developing country goes to a developed country it is legitimate to ask for proof of funds because they often travel as tourists to then work illegaly. Who in their right mind would travel from the west to illegally work in Thailand? Total load of nonsense and yet another reason why people wont bother with Thailand. You cant make this stupidity up,, you really cant.

Sorry Sir but your view is a little bit ethnocentric, not only people from developed countries come here as tourists, many Filipinos do also and there's nothing wrong with that. I came to Thailand with a tourist visa and limited founds but could find a job after 2 weeks. People are not stupid, you don't need to have so much money to travel, can work during the journey, volunteer, help out in exchange for food and shelter. If people are left free they don't become a problem for the country. Why should not be possible to be here on holiday and look around for a job and start straight away? What's the point?

P.S. In the article Mr. Suphan Mongkolsutee said: 

Quote:

..Thailand has the potential to accommodate tourists and tourists want to come to Thailand, so every tourist who enters Thailand should apply for a visa so that Thailand can check various information, including finance Because you will be confident when problems occur Such person will not create a burden on Thailand.

The regular 20.000 bht for the 3 month period could be enough. Being the Special Visa 9 month it could be checked every 3 month on the renewal of the stamp date. A simple travel insurance that covers In-Patient treatments is around 1000 bht per month with a international company.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Yes it was Bangkok, and my post was merely observations regarding a query on insurance but unfortunately the dxxkheads cannot help themselves. It's a good job those with 'I know better than you' syndrome don't have to be hospitalised, wallet would go into cardiac arrest.

It's nobody's business what was being paid for, the point was that Thais are not insulated from substantial medical bills, their cover may not meet some of the services that may be necessary.

If you are going to make ridiculous assertions and say that someone paid an extra 10k per night per room then yes...I am going to call you out on it.  I posted the private room rate from a high end private hospital in Bangkok that 7k per night.  You brought nothing to the table and numbers pulled out of nowhere with nothing to back it up.  And if it was in fact Bumrungrad, that would be akin to me saying that in order to drive a car here, it will cost 14 million baht because that’s what a Porsche 911 costs.

If calling you out on your fabricated numbers makes me a “d**khead” as you say...I’m ok with that.  At least I’m an honest d**khead.

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Why is it "disingeneous"? Since he was described as being in a 4 bedded room in a private hospital, my guess is that he was probably in Bumrungrad as that is one of the very few private hospitals that has 4 bedded rooms.

You are right though that it would not be 10K additional, more like that in total.

Bumrungrad...2 bedded room.   Yes...the person was a flat out liar and I have no problem stating that.  I bring facts to the table.  Many here bring numbers pulled out of thin air which have no basis in reality,  why?  I don’t know, and I don’t care.

And it’s disingenuous using the most expensive hospital in the whole country as a reference point.  That’s no different than me saying that a Honda Civic will cost you over 4 million baht (yes...some sell for that).

7E9FC998-9CD9-4594-AFD7-E5A25D502A34.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, think1st said:

Actually I think it makes total sense. We have a lot of people in our country who come over to live or visit and expect the taxpayers to pay for their medical expenses and other expenses that they should be responsible for. So if I’m visiting Thailand or living there I think it’s my responsibility to have proper insurance and enough money to support myself. I wish my country enforced that more

Nice first post ???? (I agree completely) 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 4:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Can't imagine any tourists coming to Thailand under the current entry conditions.

Despite all the talk, I guess they don't really want foreign tourists any more.

And what would any tourist do after their 14 isolation? From what I understand most bars, restaurants, etc, are closed or closing.

• Like 2

Typical half thought out shake down con by the shiny button boys to get the last knokkins out of the farang.....  One of the best and most successful tourist destinations in the world destroyed by this lot and now like every half wit they're resorting to extortion........   If the Thai people don't wake up and get rid of this lot asap then the future is bleak indeed for everyone........ Let's hope the 19th brings a change...... If it doesn't, i'm off back to Crete.......  What a shame for Thailand and Thai people.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Airalee said:

If you are going to make ridiculous assertions and say that someone paid an extra 10k per night per room then yes...I am going to call you out on it.  I posted the private room rate from a high end private hospital in Bangkok that 7k per night.  You brought nothing to the table and numbers pulled out of nowhere with nothing to back it up.  And if it was in fact Bumrungrad, that would be akin to me saying that in order to drive a car here, it will cost 14 million baht because that’s what a Porsche 911 costs.

If calling you out on your fabricated numbers makes me a “d**khead” as you say...I’m ok with that.  At least I’m an honest d**khead.

You made an incorrect assumption, and based on that assumption you decided to call someone a liar, end of story.

The details are none of your business.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

You made an incorrect assumption, and based on that assumption you decided to call someone a liar, end of story.

The details are none of your business.

But you did lie...end of story.  You stated that Thai wife’s relative paid an EXTRA 10,000 BAHT PER NIGHT  to upgrade from a 4 bed room to a two bed room.  That is a lie.  The most expensive hospital in all of Thailand is Bumrungrad and their two bed rooms are just over 8,000 baht per room inclusive of services.  

If you’re going to lie, at least lie about something that the average person can’t find the cold hard facts on the internet.  And when caught in a lie, next time, try not to double down and then call people “d**kheads*

I didn’t make an assumption, I stated facts and had the proof to back it up.  

E82AD0B6-0F02-4C9C-B082-85EF4B83AFBA.png

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, rott said:

Is there any history of foreigners becoming a burden on Thailand.?

Have the full rules been published yet so that these potential troublemakers know what it is they are required to comply with,? Those that are selected that is. 

They are absolutely cheeky tawats as for travel insurance well im

covered and always have been for 10 fcukeen mil pounds so stick that where the sun doesn’t shine ????????????????????????????????