Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

12 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The Thai government is not responsible for the health care of foreigners. And honestly why should they care. Foreigners are either able to finance their stay here or not. If not they have to leave. If you know a country where it is not like this please let me know it so that I can move there in the worst case. We older Farangs are here based on a tourist visa. Nothing else. It is not a Green Card that gives you some rights. 

Probably the UK not much chance of being charged for anything.

40 minutes ago, Cali farong said:

México is open with no restrictions.

nice beach resorts, welcoming tourist

Cuba ,  those chicks are really Hot , and not expensive..

Be back there , asap ..

• Like 1

Additional thoughts regarding the burdensome USD 100,000 medical policy to be required, which I presume is for all tourists, I suggest the following consideration. Perhaps each incoming tourist could be assessed a small fee ( perhaps B300) similar to the Departure tax fee, into each international airline ticket. According to a recent TAT article, the Governor estimates that 2021 will see approximately 20 million tourists( probably not all by Air though) but could probably assume that 75% were by air. Doing the quick math this would be ( 15million x B300) could generate B4.5 billion. Jumping ahead a bit, if Thailand had 40 million tourists last year and achieved these numbers going forward at B300 each, the sum would be close to 12 billion and recurring every year. I'm sure all the incoming insurance obstacles would be resolved. The costs of a USD100,000 policy could be a Tourist breaker in addition to airfare, lodging, quarantine etc. B300 would be a paltry amount.

I haven't addressed those tourists who come in by other means but somehow they could be incorporated into this concept.

This total sum collected could be earmarked to cover not only related Covid disease issues, but any unpaid bills, as well, by foreigners that appear to be in question and faced with these costs. This issue of unpaid bills has been raised by the Government in the past and could be easily addressed by imposing a small amount for each tourist instead of  them having to obtain a insurance policy prior to arrival.

These funds could be administered by a reputable entity or dare I say, the Government. Any hospital confronted with foreigners incurring hospital bills and unable to pay, would apply to this fund for reimbursement. Of course, there has to be rules and regulations developed as to who is covered for the bills as well as the Hospital requirements to be implemented to recover such unpaid bills. Much more discussion needs to be had here.

This is only food for thought and I am sure there will be a myriad of ideas to take this concept further with full consideration by the relevant authorities, no doubt though, this encroaches on the Insurance companies domain but isn't the thought somewhat worth pursuing on behalf of Thailand, its people and businesses of all sizes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Thailand has became a somewhat joke. There are many countries better than Thailand it's not the be and end of it all. All these different restrictions are quite laughable. Other countries don't impose such Folly and personally think Thailand will not get on its feet again for many years. Being adjacent to  the country where the coronavirus originated from doesn't really help. Having stayed in Thailand for over 10 years I Began to realise that all that visa <deleted> just does your headin' something chronic. Even people who are married to a Thai still have to create paperwork which is crazy.  I do like Thai women but I couldn't eat a whole one......

Correct . However that said .

Thailand's Government , Major decisions makers .

Does not give a monkies, about farangs , be they expats or tourists..  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

Last year i had Appendicitis , i went to Bkk Hospital in Phuket town. I was in agony when i arrived there. Quick scan and the doc said i needed operation immediatly. Then some girl came to ask me about insurance. I registered a new one only one week ago and didnt have the card. Also with the insurance being this new it was a problem . I had to advance the cash and they asked me 150 000 thb for a start . I told them i didnt have the amount right now to transfer. She said then nothing will happens. They wouldnt do ANYTHING and just let me stay there in giant pain. After 45/60 minutes of texting i managed to have a friend sending the money and they rushed me into the operation room. After this the doc took it out he said it was kind of a miracle the appendix didnt break in my belly considering the size of the thing. Looks to me they know now how to handle the farang being a burden...

Welcome to , Thailand .

Land of smiles , until you have serious , medical problems ..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Changbeer4me said:

They need better, smarter people with experince.

Or this Economy is going to tank.

They don't need to do anything and sure, the economy will tank.

Maybe a lesson will be learned, maybe not. Does it really matter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenosha2015 said:

Additional thoughts regarding the burdensome USD 100,000 medical policy to be required, which I presume is for all tourists, I suggest the following consideration. Perhaps each incoming tourist could be assessed a small fee ( perhaps B300) similar to the Departure tax fee, into each international airline ticket.

Unpaid medical bills only add up to 12 baht per tourist. Your solution would certainly work, but there's a problem:

Chalermpong said Vachira Phuket Hospital proposed a different solution: collecting $1 from every tourist who enters Phuket and using the money to pay off unpaid expenses. He said policymakers balked at this over concerns about who would make decisions on who gets the money.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/Tourism-proves-hazardous-to-Thai-hospitals-financial-health

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The plans have been widely ridiculed online, notes Thaivisa, with many people suggesting that few people want to travel these days and fewer still are prepared to jump through the hoops the Thai authorities are placing in their way. "

Plenty places nearer home to visit, with no or fewer requirements, if people actually want to risk it. Most people seem to be holidaying in their own countries and only venturing further to see family or close friends. Sadly there is no ready solution to the problem of lack of tourists anywhere. Only a vaccine that actually stops people getting the virus, even as symptom free infectious carriers, will provide the answer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnthplumb said:

Probably the UK not much chance of being charged for anything.

Check out the requirements for France. After 5 years of similar hoop jumping you get to be a permanent resident for life as long as you don't leave for more than 2 complete years . After only 3 months you must join the, contributory means tested, state health insurance system so private insurance not needed ....unless you want to cover the 30% the state often does not cover. But that insurance, called a Mutuelle only available once you are registered has no pre existing conditions exclusions, no pre cover health questionnaire or assessment.

Sounds good eh?

You do though also have to declare for tax purposes your world wide income to the French and may be assessed to income and capital gains tax and their social charges depending on the amount and nature of your income  and wealth ( France is I believe now the only country to have a wealth tax), and existence of double tax treaties if you are paying tax elsewhere. There are also complex inheritance laws which basically mean you cannot disinherit your children even for your wife. And gifting in your lifetime leads to a charge...on the beneficiary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Enzian said:

No one can take the body to a temple and cremate it without the right Thai paperwork filed with the right Thai authorities.

how do i find these paperwork ?

this is what bothers me the most about death,

well that and autopsy, is there any paperwork for that too ?

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have experienced the hospital overcharging first-hand and when they were caught out because I'd already had a quote from a doctor when I said I didn't have any insurance, only for someone to look at my records to find that I did have insurance, although I didn't want to use it for this particular instance, and charge me an inflated amount.

When they accepted that I wasn't going to pay on insurance, the bill was reduced quite substantially. It was an eye-opener for me and now I'm always careful if I have to go hospital for any problem whatsoever.

A blatant overcharging/rip-off.

With or without insurance Farang price is higher than Thai's