Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

im just here until it is impossible for me not to be here.

until then, I will enjoy all of the delights this place has to offer

i dont really give a monkeys about tourists coming here.

i am glad they are not here

One monkey that was a tourist once is you. Arrogant and selfish to ignore those same very long stay visa holders ( the same you have) from returning back to Thailand.  These delights dont exist for just your exploitation 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sitti said:

All countries', not just Thai industries are affected. Thai exports are getting expensive because baht keep getting stronger. And baht is strong because faranglands keep printing money making their money near worthless, especially british pound IS the one going down the toilet and along with their mess with brexit. In contrast, Thailand doesn't print money, they issue government bond. They set limit making sure their debt won't go above 50% of GDP.

If all you can think of is 'massage', obviously you don't know much about it. Look it up. https://aseanup.com/business-thailand/ you'll see how less important the tourism and foreign tourists are for Thailand as a whole nation, and they can survive without tourism thus in no hurry to get them back. Apart from places like Phuket where their heavy reliance solely on tourism. 

40 million turist a year, lets say each spend 1000$, 40 billion missing and turism in less important than other sectors?

How many people lives in thailand working in automobiles and automotive parts sector and how many with turism?

as whole country if you have 40 billion missing, you have a big problem.

The fact that they are not accepting tourist or doing anything to prepare to open in the future for them is not correlated to the tourism sector being less important than other sectors.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't imagine any tourists coming to Thailand under the current entry conditions.

Despite all the talk, I guess they don't really want foreign tourists any more.

Nah ,Not Normal tourists . Only  the rich and Business people who Have to travel.

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be curious to know exactly how much the hospital bills have been for the Thais that have been hospitalized here for coronavirus, and if it even comes close to the US$100,000 coverage that they require foreigners to carry.

The ฿400,000-800,000 insurance requirement to extend my “retirement visa” now basically jumps to a ฿5,000,000 policy requirement (The ฿3,000,000 pacific prime policy won’t be sufficient according to my insurance agent) if I, as a retiree, ever want to leave and then reenter Thailand for any reason.

What it seems that they are saying is, that we must all have plenty of money for their needs. The fact that one is receiving a regular pension which is enough to live on in one's home country, does not seem enough for them, even when taking into account the average monthly Thai living wage. Of course one has to remember that  these regulations are made by Hi-so millioniares.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sitti said:

All countries', not just Thai industries are affected. Thai exports are getting expensive because baht keep getting stronger. And baht is strong because faranglands keep printing money making their money near worthless, especially british pound IS the one going down the toilet and along with their mess with brexit. In contrast, Thailand doesn't print money, they issue government bond. They set limit making sure their debt won't go above 50% of GDP.

If all you can think of is 'massage', obviously you don't know much about it. Look it up. https://aseanup.com/business-thailand/ you'll see how less important the tourism and foreign tourists are for Thailand as a whole nation, and they can survive without tourism thus in no hurry to get them back. Apart from places like Phuket where their heavy reliance solely on tourism. 

I'll just ask again ........... What Thai industry do you think is a success? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I know I have been a terrible burden.

Bought a hotel, sold it paid all the required Tax. I declared my income on savings.

I bought five new cars in last twenty years.

I built four houses for my other half and family.

I am fully insured for health.

Yeah, A Right burden I have been.

Oh I forgot my proveable charity work!

<deleted> me!

you scrounger,,,????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'll just ask again ........... What Thai industry do you think is a success? 

None, they were once the biggest hard drive producer in the world but now we are all going solid state, apart from rice not a lot really. There are plenty of posters on here that defend a country that is down the toilet, economically, socially and politically. They do so because they have been stupid enough to put all their eggs in one basket and don't want to hear the truth.. Comparisons to the UK are laughable, yes the UK is going through changes but it is one of the richest countries on earth with one of the most valuable currencies on earth, ridiculous. Thailand is just not comparable. Just know the truth, don't be silly investing in properties and stuff and you will be ok.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Some foreigners die here, after being in the hospital for numerous days. I know one guy in Pattaya, had a bill of over 1,000,000 baht from the Bangkok Pattaya hospital, when he died. The hospital tried to locate his friends to pay the bill. Needless to say, no one admitted being his friend. I imagine he isn't the only foreigner who has left a hospital with an outstanding debt.

I find this hard to understand as during my 12 years i did have 2 trips to hospital, but there was no chance of being admitted until i could first satisfy them that i had the money to pay, on one occaision they demanded my Credit card details first.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

This is sure to make foreigners feel welcome. After watching the TAT commercial showing young foreigners attending full moon parties, swimming on beautiful beaches, taking boats to islands and being wai'ed by pretty, polite waitresses serving them cocktails at the beach bar, they will land at the airport and be slapped in the face by reality - the scowling immigration officer.

HEY YOU, FARANG. SHOW MONEY. NOW.

A lot of these young tourists travelled without medical insurance with the idea of saving money.

• Haha 1

Most countries in the world rely on tourism for a significant part of their gross national product and Thailand is way up there. Anyone not understanding that has their head up their proverbial.

What's concerning with this current shower, abetted by many of the upper class, is they don't seem to give a rats about maintaining that income. Talk of upgrading Thailand to an upmarket tourist haven is a sick joke. Thailand will always attract some of those, but to base a tourism strategy around the notion is dangerous.

Mind you, Thailand is not alone in keeping the borders closed. Outside of Europe - where they've basically put their hands up and said "we give in, let's move on and accept that deaths for mostly, those well into their twilight years, is something we have to put up with to keep the young people in work" more or less - not that many countries have opened their borders. That's certainly the case in Asia Pacific... https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/worldwide/worldwide-travel-alerts

Talk about tourists needing to have enough money is somewhat asinine, symptomatic of the elite being elite, and way out of touch.

Edited by Donga

8 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Ridiculous...

Farangs are a burden to Thailand now. Does he forget the 50 years of mass money they bring in ?

Seriously this country become officially xenophobic.

Good luck with tourism.

I do not wish Thailand , any luck , @ all ...

They have milked the Farangs , long time .

Fifty years , and more ..

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be curious to know exactly how much the hospital bills have been for the Thais that have been hospitalized here for coronavirus, and if it even comes close to the US$100,000 coverage that they require foreigners to carry.

The ฿400,000-800,000 insurance requirement to extend my “retirement visa” now basically jumps to a ฿5,000,000 policy requirement (The ฿3,000,000 pacific prime policy won’t be sufficient according to my insurance agent) if I, as a retiree, ever want to leave and then reenter Thailand for any reason.

Try having a preexisting medical condition. I have diabetes. I have to carry a Thai policy (B36,000) to meet the requirements that won't cover any preexisting conditions and another policy that does, Aetna (B66,000). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lavezzi said:

40 million turist a year, lets say each spend 1000$, 40 billion missing and turism in less important than other sectors?

How many people lives in thailand working in automobiles and automotive parts sector and how many with turism?

as whole country if you have 40 billion missing, you have a big problem.

The fact that they are not accepting tourist or doing anything to prepare to open in the future for them is not correlated to the tourism sector being less important than other sectors.

Money generated by other industries is significantly larger than tourism. Sure missing income from tourism hurts, but damage is limited. It's like bee-sting but doesn't ruin the picnic (from Billions) If there was large scale pandemic here in Thailand like in US, India, Brazil, EU, it will cause far greater damaging impact on entire industries than halting tourism.

And why emphasize only auto sectors. Thailand has a lot more: computers, appliance, clothing/textiles, rubber, food/agriculture, drinks, etc. Why risk all other people work in the other industries just to satisfy tourism by opening a country with no realistic measures to prevent foreigners bringing in the virus. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Dont forget the refunds

my doctor on Samui who also works at the Samui government hospital, told me , as we were discussing the extensions there, that they were very lucky to have plenty of money as they always overcharge the Insurance companies which injured tourists are covered by. I have known him for many years, so believe him, he is an honest man.  Of course we will all find this hard to believe of any Thai official.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

Many old retired expats can't get a health insurance. So better to increase for uninsured people the 800.000 Baht deposit amount. And they also need to go after immigration officers and visa agents who help people that don't fulfill the financial requirements.

Why don't the government introduce a reasonable insurance for these older farang who cannot get cover from regular companies.

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

my doctor on Samui who also works at the Samui government hospital, told me , as we were discussing the extensions there, that they were very lucky to have plenty of money as they always overcharge the Insurance companies which injured tourists are covered by. I have known him for many years, so believe him, he is an honest man.  Of course we will all find this hard to believe of any Thai official.

I have experienced the hospital overcharging first-hand and when they were caught out because I'd already had a quote from a doctor when I said I didn't have any insurance, only for someone to look at my records to find that I did have insurance, although I didn't want to use it for this particular instance, and charge me an inflated amount.

When they accepted that I wasn't going to pay on insurance, the bill was reduced quite substantially. It was an eye-opener for me and now I'm always careful if I have to go hospital for any problem whatsoever.

A blatant overcharging/rip-off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rott said:

Is there any history of foreigners becoming a burden on Thailand.?

Well said. Is there any history of Thais having become a (financial) burden on foreigners? My first thought was it would need a rather large library building to provide storage place for all possible records of that kind, and numerous staff to take care of it...sorry for the sarcasm but I think in this case it is deserved.

Edited by Eddy Ozark
Sentence structure and spelling.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Why don't the government introduce a reasonable insurance for these older farang who cannot get cover from regular companies.

The Thai government is not responsible for the health care of foreigners. And honestly why should they care. Foreigners are either able to finance their stay here or not. If not they have to leave. If you know a country where it is not like this please let me know it so that I can move there in the worst case. We older Farangs are here based on a tourist visa. Nothing else. It is not a Green Card that gives you some rights. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately yes, many cases of foreigners becoming a burden in Thailand, especially (but not only) as regards hospital bills

I remember something about a discussion about some 10 million dollars during two years of 35-40 million visitors. i.e. 25 Dollarcents per visitor ...aka 10 Baht.
That story did not elaborate how many Local People did not pay their bill..

so unless those numbers went up drastically, not hardly a burden to the country.

This is not to say that people that are not or under-insured are right, because they are not.