Leading doctor says Thailand shouldn’t open to tourists for another six months

webfact

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another rich <deleted>, sitting in his office on a nice salary.

It is not about big businesses making money, it's about getting millions of normal Thais out of poverty, and able to put food on the table for their families. 

it's about getting millions of normal Thais out of poverty, and able to put food on the table for their families. 

So if I understand you correctly they should let in millions of tourist?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, brain150 said:

You have a source other than CNN or BBC ?

For what? 

Many Scientists around the world have a very different opinion about Covid than you do.

How do you want to know? 

This includes some of the leading Epidemiologists in the field .... but they are probably also "Covidiots"

I don’t know who you are talking about. 

9 minutes ago, androokery said:

Two million tourists would only equate to about 4% of the yearly take, so it's a good starting point. Even though I'm not sure why you think one tourist will feed one normal poor Thai. I didn't know it was that symmetrical. 

I never said what you seem to want me to say, all I was saying in response is that if the goal is to get out of the misery millions of Thais it is not a few thousand or ten thousand tourists who will solve the problem.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

I never said what you seem to want me to say, all I was saying in response is that if the goal is to get out of the misery millions of Thais it is not a few thousand or ten thousand tourists who will solve the problem.

I agree. The numbers need to be dialed up quite quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Pattaya and I think nobody can assume that Covid in tourist destinations will spread the same slow way as in not tourist areas. Tourists visit many different places and especially the nightlife is a big problem. Now already I don't see much law enforcement at this entertainment industry. Let's assume that we get many Covid cases here in Pattaya. I doubt that tourist would like to come here. So then Pattaya has a Covid problem AND a no tourist problem. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ticking Time Bomb about to go off here in the country as folks need to get back to work in some respect or another.  Looks like the xenophobia of foreigners bringing the Virus back with them is clouding some folks judgement.  Social distance, Hand washing, and personal responsibility go along way to ensuring folks stay virus free.  However, with the approach taken by the Government here they have created a false sense of security among people who believe that there are no domestic cases and those recently infected were infected by foreign returnees.  I was out to dinner along the river, and wanted a seat near the edge but was told not available for non tourists.  I laughed and asked him when the tourists were getting here.  He said soon.  I asked why no one could sit there again, and he replied that they needed to keep the tourists away from others as they had just returned to the country and out of quarantine.  I almost told him that we had just been let out of quarantine but did not want to give the poor man a heart attack.  Simple minded folks, still believe that its being transmitted by new returnees.  I hated to tell him that there had been no tourists in Thailand for 6 months, but he disagreed and said that VIP tourists are arriving every week.  Had to scratch my head on that statement.  Maybe he knows more than we are being led to believe, what with the French VIP's just recently flying into and out of Phuket, whoTF really knows.

I expect it will be very, shall we say, "interesting" to travel in Thailand as part of the first batch of tourists they let in.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

We just had the week with the highest number of new infections. Before it was... the previous week. Yes, “just fine”.

OK, almost 100 days with ZERO reported domestic cases.  This week 2 reported cases on a population of almost 70.000.000.

So yes indeed the HIGHEST number of new infections!

Can't deny that fact > so FULL lock-down and stringent measures are needed to curb this outbreak!

>> But you were probably talking about UK figures...

Edited by Peter Denis

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

OK, almost 100 days with ZERO reported domestic cases.  This week 2 reported cases on a population of almost 70.000.000.

So yes indeed the HIGHEST number of new infections!

Can't deny that fact > so FULL lock-down and stringent measures are needed to curb this outbreak!

1. I was referring to the world wide numbers, as the poster that I was replying to claimed that the rest of the world can open “just fine”. 

2. Thailand’s low numbers indeed show that it is good to close the borders and not let tourists in. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Naturesway said:

This is why most of the doctors are just certified business men today 

Don't you mean certifiable?  ????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

For what? 

How do you want to know? 

I don’t know who you are talking about. 

You are either unable or unwilling to bother to do your own research, or you haven't been following anything other than MSM for the past 6 months!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mung said:

Yet around 9 people are dying a day from COVID-19 here in the UK. The UK has between 11,000 and 28,000 influenza related deaths per year, so lets assume 20,000 deaths is a good number to run with. That equates to 54 deaths per day on average in the UK, directly related to influenza. 

Yet they have had 40,000 deaths from covid in the last 6 Months which equates to approximately 220 deaths per day and the cold dark Covid winter is just beginning. 

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

“MSM” ???? 

Have you done a lot of “own research” on YouTube channels lately? 

No...I use knowledgeable sources.... New Scientist, The Lancet etc etc.  One example  (link)

YouTube is great.........for entertainment! 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

People need jobs and the Laotians, Malaysians, Myanmar's, and Cambodians are trying to return to where they lived and worked here in Thailand.  To classify them as anything other than foreign workers is a travesty and the way they are treated is shameful.  You really need to think of a more appropriate response then to claim my comment was a typical western response.  Sarcasm drips in most posts, and to classify the borders closed as anything other than the Thai government being scared of the virus is a benign subject. 

look at health stats in Europe, US and the UK in December and then decide whether Thailand has done a good job and if the fear was warranted. In the meantime I like the Indonesian solution, force people that refuse to look out for others by not masking dig graves for victims of the virus..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Mung said:

Yet around 9 people are dying a day from COVID-19 here in the UK. The UK has between 11,000 and 28,000 influenza related deaths per year, so lets assume 20,000 deaths is a good number to run with. That equates to 54 deaths per day on average in the UK, directly related to influenza. 

Irrelevant, man.  It is 'cases", 'cases' are all that is important.  Every body is going to get it.  Oh, the humanity!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

No...I use knowledgeable sources.... New Scientist, The Lancet etc etc.

YouTube is great.........for entertainment! 

Consider what happens to the scientists who work for those, if their analysis comes to the "wrong" conclusion.  No job, no income to support family, blacklisted, etc.  The old USSR comes to mind, but with "Elite Philanthropist Research Bankrollers" as the ruling-party.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1