Leading doctor says Thailand shouldn’t open to tourists for another six months

webfact

23 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another rich <deleted>, sitting in his office on a nice salary.

It is not about big businesses making money, it's about getting millions of normal Thais out of poverty, and able to put food on the table for their families. 

It's also about biting the bullet and acquiring herd immunity, probably the only way to mitigate the risk long term.

1 hour ago, Throatwobbler said:

To the majority of posters you do understand that this man is a doctor, his job is to comment on the health issues. It is up to other people to discuss economic impacts.

it is also fun to see how many armchair experts there are at home who barely passes high school science but are suddenly world wide experts on infectious diseases. You has better hope that a second wave does not hit Thailand as due to the aged the average TV user there would suddenly be half as many commentators

And how do you expect that a second wave won't hit Thailand? Stay in a bubble for the all eternity? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another rich <deleted>, sitting in his office on a nice salary.

It is not about big businesses making money, it's about getting millions of normal Thais out of poverty, and able to put food on the table for their families. 

Same as the decision makers in any country.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Throatwobbler said:

To the majority of posters you do understand that this man is a doctor, his job is to comment on the health issues. It is up to other people to discuss economic impacts.

it is also fun to see how many armchair experts there are at home who barely passes high school science but are suddenly world wide experts on infectious diseases. You has better hope that a second wave does not hit Thailand as due to the aged the average TV user there would suddenly be half as many commentators

A breath of fresh air for a change, good post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Clear what is going to happen. There has not even been a proper first wave here yet. They will reopen, and when they do infections will rise rapidly. For many of you all you should be thinking the day they open is "get my visa <deleted> done now" because they will close it up again soon after opening. They are simply refusing to understand how viruses work trying to lock it out. 

• Like 1

The problem is that even if Thailand would open it's borders in October, tourist numbers would be low and many people still would remain without jobs for a long time. Either the whole world starts traveling again and lots more people die or we remain locked up with hopefully less people dying. Covid-19 is here to stay and it will take time for people to have developed natural or have made synthesized antibodies for it.

Edited by breaky9973
Spelling error
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, breaky9973 said:

The problem is that even if Thailand would open it's borders in October, tourist numbers would be low and many people still would remain without jobs for a long time. Either the whole world starts traveling again and lots more people die or we remain locked up with hopefully less people dying. Covid-19 is here to stay and it will take time for people to have developed natural or have made synthesized antibodies for it.

I'll stay here with my natural developed antibodies. And for Thai people I would donate plasma. 

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You lost the plot? government have not paid pensioners or disabled, yet you nit pick about different department, unbelievable.

Believe it or not, Thailand has a social security system. Established by Thaksin and maybe not perfect, but it's still there. 

Of course if you talk about pensions it's my turn to remind you. Who started to change the topic? 

And BTW how come I see so many disabled people in wheelchairs here? 

Edited by micmichd
Add-on

23 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

I hope they follow the Good Doctors Advice 

So does everybody in Big Business- CP, Thai Bev etc!

An army of unemployed, to hire and fire for 100 THB a day!

Forget minimum wage, forget labor- protection...just starve the poor until they swallow every little bone you throw to them!

And some foreigners sing the hi- praise of this madness, because they don't care for the people of this country!

10 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

But today, the medics know much better now to treat severe cases, or how to even avoid severe cases to occur. Today they use Remdesivir, they look not only to the lung anymore, they use blood thinners to avoid thrombosis and stroke, etc.

Look to Italy! The deaths went down from a thousand a day to single digit numbers today only. It would not be different in Thailand. To the contrary, if they would start to test more (why do they refuse this, by the way?), they very very likely would find numerous local cases, possibly more than in Italy. But they don't want. For political reasons. It's obvious!

There's a difference between Italy and Thailand though. Working universal health care.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

This doctor is probably anticipating the release of a safe vaccine. Tests are currently being carried out on all continents, so it is very likely that it will be available next spring, allowing the restrictions to be lifted.

So, who's the moron ?

While it is more likely that there will be a safe vaccine available six months from now, rather than tomorrow, we have had no information whether there will be any efficient vaccines. So what you are arguing for is essentially gambling. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rimbuman said:

They always did that, and they won't stop doing that. How many do they catch compared to the amount that actually cross these borders illegally? Highly likely not that many, whenever I am near remote border area's I see them crossing illegally very often.

exactly why my mask won't be removed anytime soon..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Yet they have had 40,000 deaths from covid in the last 6 Months which equates to approximately 220 deaths per day and the cold dark Covid winter is just beginning. 

There are many factors involved. The fact that medical staff now better understand the treatment needed, timing of treatment etc. Also more people wear masks now, which wasn't even a thing in the UK up until 6-8 weeks ago. On top of that it is thought that most of the vulnerable people have already died, and actually 90% of people who get the virus never display any symptoms or are very mild. New data suggests the CFR is around 0.3% 

Edited by Mung

23 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Irrelevant, man.  It is 'cases", 'cases' are all that is important.  Every body is going to get it.  Oh, the humanity!

90% of people who get the virus never display any symptoms or have a very mild response. CFR according to Dr Campbell and recent data from Europe is 0.3%

• Like 1

Which is worse, being unemployed or dead?

One can argue they are practically inseparable if in the long-term the economy is unable to bounce back.

Maybe I’m naive, but I think it’s better to be unemployed than dead.

I vote for the borders being essentially sealed as long as possible.  There needs to be food and money handouts, however.

There’s money in the (royal) coffers if Thailand decides to choose that option.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They don't know what is a tourist.

Please, define what is a tourist for actual Thailand government .

After you will clearly provide your definition, the world will judge your level in the international classification about knowledge, human right respect and so on...

Edited by jerolamo