Louisville to pay $12 million settlement over Breonna Taylor's death in botched police raid

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

(Reuters) - The city of Louisville, Kentucky, will pay $12 million to the family of Breonna Taylor, a Black woman shot dead by police in a botched raid on her apartment in March, to settle a wrongful-death lawsuit, Mayor Greg Fischer said on Tuesday.

in the meantime, thai conscript dies at army base, family gets 600$

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

The members who normally rant furiously about compensation payments being made to victims here in Thailand and how wrong it is are strangely quiet on this one.

This payment is for the civil case, it is still ongoing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The settlement appears to be one of the largest of its kind in the United States, where police departments are often shielded from having to pay damages for deaths in their custody.

The police slaying of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a dual citizen of the United States and Australia in Minnesota resulted in a $20 million setllement.

A few factors:

She was white

The policeman was not

The setllement came after the criminal conviction of the officer

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/justine-damond-s-family-agrees-20-million-settlement-minneapolis-over-n1001716

The City of Louisville got a bargain. Porbably smart to settle before the whole story gets released?

"It has been so long to get to this day where we could assure that Breonna Taylor's life wouldn't be swept under the rug, like so many other Black women in America who have been killed by police," Crump said.

The money comes from multiple sources:

$5 million comes from an outside insurance carrier
$2 million comes from the LAGIT trust fund
$5 million is from other Metro funds

https://www.wlky.com/article/settlement-reached-between-city-of-louisville-breonna-taylors-family/34024403

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Makes me sad to be an aussie after reading some posts. Prejudice and bigotry seems to overide education.

Who says he has an education. If you can't even bother to look this up in the news.

The fact that there was a 12$ million settlement shows that the police did some things wrong. Judges are not stupid no matter how much some right wing nuts might think they are.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Who says he has an education. If you can't even bother to look this up in the news.

The fact that there was a 12$ million settlement shows that the police did some things wrong. Judges are not stupid no matter how much some right wing nuts might think they are.

I was not referring to taylor or her bf or whoever she was with. I agree with your sentiment. I know u are not a native english speaker so apologise if my post confused u.

I was responding to the poster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I was not referring to taylor or her bf or whoever she was with. I agree with your sentiment. I know u are not a native english speaker so apologise if my post confused u.

I was responding to the poster.

I got you.. you were talking about the OZ guy.. I was just questioning his education (the OZ poster who posted without thinking)

I mean all warning lights should start blinking if you read that there is a 12$ million settlement. Anyone with an education or bit of IQ would wonder why a judge would award such a high settlement if the poor girl was used as a human shield. Because then the police would have been a lot less guilty and the settlement lower.

That is why i said he should have looked it up in the news, not just go blind on what a poster wrote before him.

Maybe my shortness confused you.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got you.. you were talking about the OZ guy.. I was just questioning his education (the OZ poster who posted without thinking)

I mean all warning lights should start blinking if you read that there is a 12$ million settlement. Anyone with an education or bit of IQ would wonder why a judge would award such a high settlement if the poor girl was used as a human shield. Because then the police would have been a lot less guilty and the settlement lower.

That is why i said he should have looked it up in the news, not just go blind on what a poster wrote before him.

Ahh it was me that misread your post. I got it ????

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

two words..."Confirmation bias"

21 hours ago, simple1 said:
22 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

The members who normally rant furiously about compensation payments being made to victims here in Thailand and how wrong it is are strangely quiet on this one.

Compensation money is paid in Thailand to settle matters in order for the accused to avoid going to Court, corruption also involved.

Oh, yes? 

Did the compensation paid to the RTP officer's family in the Vorayuth case stop it going to court or was an arrest warrant issued for him regardless?

Did the compensation paid to the families of the two students killed by the speeding Merc driver stop it going to court or stop him from being jailed?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

Oh, yes? 

Did the compensation paid to the RTP officer's family in the Vorayuth case stop it going to court or was an arrest warrant issued for him regardless?

Did the compensation paid to the families of the two students killed by the speeding Merc driver stop it going to court or stop him from being jailed?

Some rare exceptions to the norm, So far as I know in the first case you mention, the guy has not faced 'justice'. Most victim's families 'take the money', the amount being negotiated by police. I've had direct exposure to the corrupt process, but as you know cannot post info due to Thai laws of defamation.

EDIT: No further reply as straying way off topic.

Edited by simple1
  • Haha 1