Environment Minister orders litter in national park returned to the litterbugs

webfact

Environment Minister orders litter in national park returned to the litterbugs

16-litters.jpg

Thailand’s Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varavuth Silpa-archa has come up with a way to deal with littering at Khao Yai national park, by sending the trash back to those who left it.

He also ordered park officials to file a complaint with Moosi police, in the Pak Chong district of the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, seeking legal action against the litterbugs, in accordance with the National Parks Act.

Littering in a national park is subject to five years in prison and/or a fine of 500,000 baht, if the littering causes damage to the environment, ecological diversity or natural resources of the park.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/environment-minister-orders-litter-in-national-park-returned-to-the-litterbugs/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, johng said:

How on earth do they know who left the rubbish ? and if they do why not  just send them the 500,000 baht fine which is pretty steep !    5 years in prison is just ridiculous  unless the littering was on an industrial scale

and I doubt big industry  dumps their rubbish in National parks  but  T.I.T  so  maybe ?

99% of people drive into Khao Yai, and there are cameras at the entry, and many places in the park. Guess that's how they can identify the culprits.

Big fines are necessary to put the fear in Thai people, most fines here are ridiculously low anyway.

And if all visitors dumps waste in Khao Yai Park it will quickly turn into a big industry dump.

I am totally on the Health Ministers side in this matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Throwing trash or flicking lit cigarettes' out of the car window in California will earn you a $1,000 USD fine. 

Good, it is truly is remarkable the 99.99% of all smokers that think some fag end tooth fairy will come down and pick up their litter and take it to a better place.

Next time you go out, play a game, see if you can walk 20 paces without seeing a fag end across your path

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

99% of people drive into Khao Yai, and there are cameras at the entry, and many places in the park. Guess that's how they can identify the culprits

Well maybe if there are only 1 car load of people per day and the park rangers scour the whole park looking for rubbish everyday  otherwise it could have been the car load from yesterday that dumped the rubbish

or the wildlife could have rummaged in the litter bins  or the bins are overflowing and the wind blew it away.

maybe there are no rubbish bins at all..which kind of invites the dumping...yes yes  take it home with you

sadly lots of people still don't get that idea.

But fair enough if they have video evidence of  people littering then  a few thousand baht fine would be appropriate    500,000  is a bit over the top IMHO   considering the fines/sentences handed out for beating a person to within an inch of their life or killing a minibus load of schoolchildren ( if you are HiSo)

I have a better idea. Don't let anybody new put up a tent until the grounds are spotless. Easily enforced. The only way to get littering in check is social pressure. Thais are too sabai and meek but once they have to pick up trash from the previous ones, they'll get the idea.

• Thanks 1

once found a car load of rubbish thrown on the grass verge on the road where I cycle. It had various prescriptions and envelopes and the perp was easy to identify. Still have photos but you know, 'farang make problem for Thai people' and all that. Now I just witness the various heaps of rubbish on my 20km loop grow. It is truly depressing.  (not national park and no tourist dollars to be made or lost so nothing to see here)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Littering in a national park is subject to five years in prison and/or a fine of 500,000 baht,

Yet kill a copper when your high on coke or incinerate people in a car whilst speeding or kill a slack handful of serfs with your Merc when your underage to drive......

On the other hand pick a few mushrooms and your feet wont touch the ground!

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

I must admit the orbortor where I live does try to keep the place clean, around the beach some years ago he put all wheelie bins as people come off the beach he put quite a few not just one or two I bet within 2 weeks the lot was gone,

In the moo baan we live we pay 480 baht per year they come twice a week empty the bins and they do a good job leave nothing behind, just wish the neighbour would get herself a bin instead of using mine and go and pay the 480 baht

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I must admit the orbortor where I live does try to keep the place clean, around the beach some years ago he put all wheelie bins as people come off the beach he put quite a few not just one or two I bet within 2 weeks the lot was gone,

In the moo baan we live we pay 480 baht per year they come twice a week empty the bins and they do a good job leave nothing behind, just wish the neighbour would get herself a bin instead of using mine and go and pay the 480 baht

I know how you feel !!!

• Like 2