Thai govt eyes new visa rules in bid to woo investors

webfact

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

With only smaller than 40 applications in 8 month, one would assume it wasn´t a hit. ???? 

The Smart Visa has been around since Feb 2019 & the guys I know who have them got their’s when they Extended/renewed Visa/WP (as I understand it they no longer need a WP) this year

I don’t know if they tried last year & failed or the company wasn’t aware of them but is now & is moving people over to it at extension/renewal time.

Edited by Mike Teavee

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'd like to find out how many 'smart visas' have been issued since it was introduced...I suspect it's either zero or very close to zero.

Quite a number of people in the IT industry hold such visas. I know around 5 people who hold such visas. All are working in IT. One in the food technology industry. 

Edited by Smokegreynblues

2 minutes ago, bobbin said:

No, it doesn't say you "own" half.  It says you are entitled to half of communal assets. That is, assets acquired after marriage.

A small but important distinction.

Depends on your marriage contract.  

In Germany where I come from you can state whatever you want in your marriage contract. If you lovely ex refuses to work and claims welfare instead, then the welfare office can and will void anything in this contract. And off you go, they even let you sleep under a bridge in the West. 

This is not new.

Its a beautiful policy actually. 

They are just copying all these from other regional countries. When it comes to implementation, they have ZERO process or have any idea of how to implement the policy in Thailand. It's like - Left hand saying and when it comes to doing, Right hand has no clue of what to do.

Politicians come and go. Like always, all who expect to benefit from all this, will just go away being disappointed again.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

With only smaller than 40 applications in 8 month, one would assume it wasn´t a hit. ???? 

Applicants would need a salary of 200,000+ Baht to that already limits the number of people who can apply, plus the conditions were not that enticing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Why just condos? Many farang built houses cost as much!

Because the condo industry is greatly hurting now because of CV19. This alone has a major effect on economy as they will tell us. Maybe in reality too many people in the government are losing money and their piece of this pie as there are thousands and thousands plus sitting empty or not being paid off in default. 

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its certainly a way to sell these condos and if foreign buyers are being offered  a hassles longterm visa staying option its interesting but the devil is in the details and why not have offered it 7 years ago ? 

Probably because 7 years ago their tourism industry didn't evaporate as it has now.    They are coming with all soorts of ideas to bring money...oops...people into the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Generally, foreigners are not allowed to directly purchase land in Thailand. ... It is a commonly unknown fact that although a foreigner cannot own land in Thailand, he can own the house or structure built thereon. One only has to apply for a construction permit to build the house in his own name.

From the internet

If that is correct, you have my unconditional apologies. I'm too lazy to verify...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Depends on your marriage contract.  

In Germany where I come from you can state whatever you want in your marriage contract. If you lovely ex refuses to work and claims welfare instead, then the welfare office can and will void anything in this contract. And off you go, they even let you sleep under a bridge in the West. 

We are not talking about "pre-nuptual agreement/contracts".  We are talking about Thai divorce law.

I'm betting that German law regarding divorce is similar when it comes to dividing communal assets,