Jump to content

Ultraconservatives demand Trump’s pledge to stay out of Thai politics


webfact

Recommended Posts

Ultraconservatives demand Trump’s pledge to stay out of Thai politics

By THE NATION

 

800_7b500d3b142a6c9.jpg?v=1600250639

 

Activists calling themselves “The People of Thailand” visited the US Embassy in Bangkok on Wednesday to demand assurances from President Donald Trump that his country would not meddle in Thai politics.

 

Former yellow shirt activist Pichit Chaimongkol was among the group who handed a letter to embassy staff. The activists thanked the US embassy for announcing previously that it had not supported anti-government protests in Thailand.

 

However, they demanded that Trump back up the Embassy’s position with a presidential statement.

 

Last week, the embassy dismissed allegations in certain sections of the Thai media that the US was supporting anti-government protests.

 

The allegations stem from photographs of student leader Parit "Penguin" Chiwarak meeting then-US ambassador Glyn Davies on a visit to the embassy in 2016.

 

The photographs were published on an English-language website called The Land Destroyer Report, which poses as a news outlet to disseminate stories alleging US influence in Thailand. The stories are regularly cited by right-wing Thai media to support their claims of “foreign meddling” in Thailand’s affairs.

 

Land Destroyer Report and linked pages were banned by Facebook last year for engaging in “coordinated inauthentic behaviour”.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394642

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-17
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, webfact said:

 

However, they demanded that Trump back up the Embassy’s position with a presidential statement

Covfefe came the reply leaving the protesters as bemused as the rest of the planet since .. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thighland, who? Right, so when my Generals told me we had the joint exercise this year and our troops had to quarantine 14 days because of the chinese virus hoax I asked my people, I said to them I said "Do I have a hotel there"? But that was too bad, my hotels are the best in the world. We give a special discount rate to the military and many people are saying the Prime Minister likes me very much. Does he play golf? So I have never been there, have no business interests there, but Taiwan have been ripping us off for years. So we are looking at a new trade deal, and our weapons systems the best in the world, all 100 percent American made. So we'll see...covfefe

heston.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously!

 

These people are deluded in the idea that the US cares one iota about Thailand.

 

The very idea that Thailand has any strategic interest for the US, let alone Trump is almost farcical.

 

Thailand's importance for the US evaporated after the Vietnam war, so the idea that any US administration has any real interest in what goes on in the Kingdom, is laughable.

 

But it does speak volumes on how many Thai's view the country. I remember having a bizarre conversation with my wife's cousin who was off to do seasonal work in Canada, and tried to explain to me how Thailand was a larger country than Canada or the US.

 

I never know whether to laugh or cry!

 

BTW my wife's cousin on returning from Canada had a slightly different perspective on Thailand's place in the world 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, webfact said:

The photographs were published on an English-language website called The Land Destroyer Report, which poses as a news outlet to disseminate stories alleging US influence in Thailand. The stories are regularly cited by right-wing Thai media to support their claims of “foreign meddling” in Thailand’s affairs.

The Land Destroyer Report and AltRightNews are Russian funded propaganda sites overflowing with fake news and blatant lies, unfortunately they are still getting the attention they crave from Thai Ultra Right movements. all as planned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A commitment from Trump would not be worth the paper it was written on. Lying and cheating is just a way of life with him. He would come up with some bullsh11 story saying it was the Democrats that put it in place without his knowledge. Trump the genius probably thinks Thailand is 12 inches above the knee. that's why he calls it thighland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Picketing at the U.S. Embassy and licking the streets in front of the Grand Palace. 😂

 

As if the U.S. have any geopolitical interest in Thailand at this point. Vietnam is a far more important partner nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

assurances from President Donald Trump that his country would not meddle in Thai politics.

Good call.

 

It's already enough that local ultraconservatives (a.k.a. the "peoples" of Thailand; cf. OP pic) meddle in Thai politics -- and we all know where that always leads to: an utter mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The real joke here is that anybody in the world would take any pledge from Trump seriously. 

It's impossible for the man to do anything close to damage in Thailand that he's already done to America. 

However sadly, about a third of Americans believe anything he says. It's that fact more than the man himself that foreshadows the downfall of America. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Navarro: "Pssst. Hey, Donald. They just insulted you over in Thailand."

 

DT: "Thailandawanakia? What's that?

 

PN: "It's a small SE Asian country that keeps running up a huge trade surplus with us, while inviting the Chinese in to re-export Chinese made goods under a Thai label. And they're making fun of you."

 

DT: "Trade deficit? Pro China? And insulting ME! Arrange a news conference, I'm calling for more tariffs and economic sanctions."

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

Former yellow shirt activist Pichit Chaimongkol was among the group who handed a letter to embassy staff. The activists thanked the US embassy for announcing previously that it had not supported anti-government protests in Thailand.

These are the same people who formed up a posse and marched on the Embassy in 2014, back in the run up to Ying taking a vacation.  

 

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

These people are deluded in the idea that the US cares one iota about Thailand.

 

The very idea that Thailand has any strategic interest for the US, let alone Trump is almost farcical.

Yes, Trump wouldn't know 'Thighland' from Taiwan or Tajikistan on a bet. So, why are they doing it?! Given their past history, (see above), one could get the idea something is up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

Activists calling themselves “The People of Thailand” visited the US Embassy in Bangkok on Wednesday to demand assurances from President Donald Trump that his country would not meddle in Thai politics.

 

Just going out on a limb here, but I've got a feeling President Donald Trump has no interest in the politics of Thighland 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...