more likely to win lottery than escape covid infection

3NUMBAS

Well that is an odd way of putting it but there is no doubt this virus is very infectious and potentially very damaging.

So the basic message is this --

Follow the basic public health measures you already know

Take a vaccine when available presumably if it is credibly shown to be safe and effective

Also keep in mind there is strong evidence that if infected while wearing a mask your viral load causing the infection will be lower and thus the severity of your symptoms (if any) are also likely to be lower. Getting infected that way is another way that people can gain at least temporary immunity.

BTW, the case fatality rate mentioned in this article (.6 percent) is six times the typical case fatality rate of seasonal flu. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This is of great concern to me.............. as i've been to 5 stores already and the baseball bats are all sold out !!      

I see the usual  news flash followers are still shaking in their boots.   Terrible way to live. (IMHO)

image.jpeg.f54fdbf7a8e4b87b4a604edf02a4540e.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

This is of great concern to me.............. as i've been to 5 stores already and the baseball bats are all sold out !!      

I see the usual  news flash followers are still shaking in their boots.   Terrible way to live. (IMHO)

image.jpeg.f54fdbf7a8e4b87b4a604edf02a4540e.jpeg

Facing reality is not the same thing as shaking in your boots, though I really don't agree with the phrasing of the headline. It doesn't make any sense really. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Facing reality is not the same thing as shaking in your boots, though I really don't agree with the phrasing of the headline. It doesn't make any sense really. 

yeah, agree.  stupid headline,  but would not be surprised if the "expert" used it as a catchline . 

I do not get into the  errr  "discussions"  about the real or imagined dangers of this virus.  There are no winners .   All should live as they like,  and take precautions that they see fit for their well-being.

i do believe that many are shaking in their boots,   as the human mind is so easily controlled by any intense and prolonged media coverage.  I think most of the disagreements among members and people in general is over who are considered ,  and should be considered, the "experts".  

I do not believe the course of action and fear mongering around the world is warranted.  That is MY OPINION.   I have long before covid expressed my dismay at the state of the world's health.  Already a vast number of diseases that kill and destroy lives are attributable to that fact.  

I do the best with what i have.   I make no excuses for my DNA  or  (if i were overweight) to say that

my family is big boned or whatever.   I urge all to stop worrying and spend the time to improve your health.   You will feel better......... as sure as winning the lottery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

yeah, agree.  stupid headline,  but would not be surprised if the "expert" used it as a catchline . 

I do not get into the  errr  "discussions"  about the real or imagined dangers of this virus.  There are no winners .   All should live as they like,  and take precautions that they see fit for their well-being.

i do believe that many are shaking in their boots,   as the human mind is so easily controlled by any intense and prolonged media coverage.  I think most of the disagreements among members and people in general is over who are considered ,  and should be considered, the "experts".  

I do not believe the course of action and fear mongering around the world is warranted.  That is MY OPINION.   I have long before covid expressed my dismay at the state of the world's health.  Already a vast number of diseases that kill and destroy lives are attributable to that fact.  

I do the best with what i have.   I make no excuses for my DNA  or  (if i were overweight) to say that

my family is big boned or whatever.   I urge all to stop worrying and spend the time to improve your health.   You will feel better......... as sure as winning the lottery.

You're missing something really big. This is a pandemic. It is a highly infectious virus. You act like it is only about you or other individuals. No, it isn't. Private behavior has public consequences in this situation. We can argue about the details of the policies being done in different parts of the world. But there is no argument saying that no public health measures are needed that makes any sense at all. Even more laissez faire experiments like Sweden indeed had public health measures. Just different ones. 

Excuse me but was this published now or six months ago? Where do they get the numbers? 60 to 70 percent? I call that total bs. Let's see, there are now 30 million cases worldwide. Even if that number was much smaller than the true amount of infected people, let's say there are five or six times more cases than the official figures, that would mean 150 to 180 million which would amount to about 300 to 350 million people per year. Sounds a lot? Even then it would take 20 to 30 years for everyone in the world to be infected of corona.

By now many developed countries with large amounts of testing have less than 1 percent of their population infected. Corona is not as contagious as was feared in the beginning and does not spread like a wildfire. Yes, some small Italian cities had 60 to 70 percent of their populations infected in the beginning of the epidemic but it required unpreparedness and ideal conditions for the virus (dense population, climate, social structure of multiple generations living close to each other etc.). You just can't extrapolate that directly to the whole world, especially now that is better controlled. I find it infuriating that these experts will let out such tripe. What is that lottery he mentioned? The odds seem nice and I would like to buy a dozen tickets for a start.