Covid insurance

Irrespective on which Visa you are, when re-entering Thailand there is now the mandatory requirement for covid-19 insurance that provides at least 100.000 US $ coverage.

If your health-insurance policy does not meet that covid-19 coverage requirement

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/  offers flexible monthly covid-19 insurance with much higher coverage (200K US $) at approx half the premium you would pay for a Thai covid-19 insurance.

@Sheryl indicated in another thread that should you actually get COVID though, you might have some problem with the claim if asymptomatic or mild illness as that would not be considered by most western insurers as an indication for hospitalization, but Thailand imposes mandatory hospitalization on all cases, even asymptomatic. Whereas hospitalization no matter severity is a given for Thai insurers (and might be part of why the higher premiums),

You can but COVID-only policy pre-approved by Thai govt online here > https://covid19.tgia.org/

It is available to all ages up to 99 and cost does not vary by age, but does vary by country

NOTE > When re-entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa you would on top of the covid-19 insurance also need a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage requirements.

LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) policy is the cheapest 'throw-away' policy that meets the IO requirements and sells for less than half the annual premium fee than the next cheapest option.

PM me if you are interested in subscribing to that LMG Insurance Non Imm O-A compliant policy and I will sent you a comprehensive guideline document with tips & caveats on how to do that

• Like 2

I concur with UbonJoe on the Visa Friendly Policy from PC.  It is both Non Imm OA and Covid 19 compliant(400K IPD, 40K OPD and $100,000 Covid 19 limits).  These are The good parts.  In my case(ages from 56 to 60) the premium is double what I was paying for a policy that was just Non Imm OA compliant.  I would suggest to those who considering insurance to carefully research and ask many questions from a broker or the insurance company itself.  

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I concur with UbonJoe on the Visa Friendly Policy from PC.  It is both Non Imm OA and Covid 19 compliant(400K IPD, 40K OPD and $100,000 Covid 19 limits).  These are The good parts.  In my case(ages from 56 to 60) the premium is double what I was paying for a policy that was just Non Imm OA compliant.  I would suggest to those who considering insurance to carefully research and ask many questions from a broker or the insurance company itself.  

You could also get the standard OA visa insurance and another policy for corid 19. See: https://covid19.tgia.org/

32 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Are you sure that this PC Visa Friendly policy is also IO-approved for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement?

Yes, of the 2 options it provides you can choose for the one that does meet the 400K/40K in/out-patient requirements, and PacificCross is a TGIA-associated insurer.

But that does not automatically imply that this PC Visa Friendly policy is Non Imm O-A compliant.

And it is NOT stated on the brochure or mentioned as one of the benefits... 

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you sure that this PC Visa Friendly policy is also IO-approved for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement?

It meets it since has the 40k outpatient coverage and 3.1 million of hospital care that well above the 400k baht requirement.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It meets it since has the 40k outpatient coverage and 3.1 million of hospital care that well above the 400k baht requirement.

Yes, it meets the 400K/40K in/outpatient coverage and PC is a TGIA-associated insurer,  But the specific policy offered must also be IO-approved in order to be eligible.

And this Visa Friendly policy is not on the Pacific Cross website overview of Non Imm O-A/X approved policies.

image.png.de19f774657d44ffc7e8405b71e25396.png

I would recommended checking with PC whether the Visa Friendly policy is indeed also accepted by IO as Non Imm O-A compliant.

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, it meets the 400K/40K in/outpatient coverage and PC is a TGIA-associated insurer,  But the specific policy offered must also be IO-approved in order to be eligible.

I don't think it has to be a specific policy to qualify. That is just the page the link on the TGIA website takes you to.

If it meets or exceeds the coverage it will qualify if it is from one of the companies that are listed.

• Thanks 1

Very useful info in this thread as I'm looking at O-A visa application. At 54, I found the followng baht rates for 1 year

Pacific Cross Visa friendly- 43,940 

Pacific Cross basic O-A - 16,035

Covid insurance only - 14,400

So getting the 2 separate insurances would be 30,435 vs 43,940 for all in friendly visa

Note: I see the friendly visa has discount for increasing deductible

- 20k baht - 15%

- 40k baht - 25%

- 100k baht - 32.5%

- 200k baht - 40%

- 300k baht - 50%

Not sure I see the sense of having 400k inpatient and 40k outpatient cover if you then agree to pay the first 200-300k yourself?

Edited by aussiexpat

9 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Very useful info in this thread as I'm looking at O-A visa application. At 54, I found the following baht rates for 1 year

Pacific Cross Visa friendly- 43,940 

Pacific Cross basic O-A - 16,035

Covid insurance only - 14,400

So getting the 2 separate insurances would be 30,435 vs 43,940 for all on friendly visa

Some less costly alternatives:

> Non Imm O-A compliant insurance > LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) = 6.000 THB

> Covid insurance +$ 100K coverage > SafetyWing = 40 US $/month

> Covid insurance 100K THB coverage > SCB = 850 THB

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also get the standard OA visa insurance and another policy for corid 19. See: https://covid19.tgia.org/

The PC Visa Friendly policy is almost twice my current PC OA policy.  My current policy plus the separate covid19 policy totals just about the same.  In either case, the cost of insurance approximately doubles.

I'm just waiting for TI to say that the $100K cover is required not just for new arrivals but will also be mandatory for OA extensions too.   For many OA visa and OA extension holders over 65 (and especially over 70), paying the insurance premium bill isn't going to be easy.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think it has to be a specific policy to qualify. That is just the page the link on the TGIA website takes you to.

If it meets or exceeds the coverage it will qualify if it is from one of the companies that are listed.

I contacted PacificCross about it, and they confirmed that their Visa Friendly policy has been approved by Thai Immigration as a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy.

They also stated that since it is a recently issued policy their website has not been updated yet to explicitly state the fact that it is Non Imm O-A compliant.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) policy is the cheapest 'throw-away' policy that meets the IO requirements and sells for less than half the annual premium fee than the next cheapest option.

Yeah but is a physicals required before you are 60?, and then if not after 60yrs old do you need to do a physical every year or just renew as nothing is going on. It is ofcourse only a throw away policy.

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but is a physicals required before you are 60?, and then if not after 60yrs old do you need to do a physical every year or just renew as nothing is going on. It is of course only a throw away policy.

The LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) policy is by far the cheapest option to meet the Non Imm O-A extension health-insurance requirement.  And contrary to other Non Imm O-A compliant policies it does NOT require an (expensive) medical.  And you can subscribe to it till age 75 years (after which you can prolonge annually).

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) policy is by far the cheapest option to meet the Non Imm O-A extension health-insurance requirement.  And contrary to other Non Imm O-A compliant policies it does NOT require an (expensive) medical.  And you can subscribe to it till age 75 years (after which you can prolonge annually).

I am not talking about taking a medical. I am talking about side stepping the medical when 60 or above but would like to know if you are in your 50's are you required to take one. I think Sheryl once stated that Pacific Cross did not require one to get it under 60. But what she did not say is if it was required after you have the policy and then turn 60. My biggest thing is it is throw away and will never be used and this may be a breathe of fresh air for guys who cannot take a medical or cannot get insurance.

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I am not talking about taking a medical. I am talking about side stepping the medical when 60 or above but would like to know if you are in your 50's are you required to take one. I think Sheryl once stated that Pacific Cross did not require one to get it under 60. But what she did not say is if it was required after you have the policy and then turn 60. My biggest thing is it is throw away and will never be used and this may be a breathe of fresh air for guys who cannot take a medical or cannot get insurance.

When subscribing to the LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy you have to fill in an extensive medical checklist.  When you tick any serious pre-conditions these are then taken out of the policy to which you subscribe.  So even if you are terminal you can still subscribe to the policy.

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

a> Non Imm O-A compliant insurance > LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) = 6.000 THB

b> Covid insurance +$ 100K coverage > SafetyWing = 40 US $/month

c> Covid insurance 100K THB coverage > SCB = 850 THB

And a+b OR a+c is sufficient for visa purposes?

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

> Non Imm O-A compliant insurance > LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) = 6.000 THB

> Covid insurance 100K THB coverage > SCB = 850 THB

8 minutes ago, onebir said:

And a+b OR a+c is sufficient for visa purposes?

It depends on your situation.

a > Non Imm O-A compliant insurance > LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) = 6.000 THB

1 - You could use such insurance when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country if you are not eligible for the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that your foreing/international insurance meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage for health-insurance in Thailand.

2 - You could also use that policy when in Thailand and applying for a 1-year extension of your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT (when applying for a different reason insurnce is not required).

b > Covid insurance +$ 100K coverage > SafetyWing = 40 US $/month

Only relevant when you are currently outside Thailand and want to re-enter the country  The SafetyWing policy is flexible (monthly) and provides higher coverage for approx half the cost of Thai $ 100K covid-insurance policies

c > Covid insurance 100K THB coverage > SCB = 850 THB

This policy is not mandatory and only for use when you are already in Thailand.  But it provides a very cheap option to cover possible covid-19 hospitalization when not ill (but tested positive).  The SafetyWing insurance would only cover the costs of hospitalization when ill.  So if you want to cover yourself for the costs of a preventive hospitalization, you could take that policy on top of the SafetyWing insurance (which would cover the costs of any actual treatment needed).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That's not cheaper than the thai Covid insurance Ubonjoe gave the link for.

Maybe countries are significantly different but my quote from Australia was 14,400 bt per year. US$40 a month is over 15,000 bt. (Thai insurance is also monthly and equaled out at $40/mth at 3 months)

As you stated in post above this one that safety wing doesnt cover covid hospital when not actually ill (asymptomatic), thai one sounds a lot better

Edited by aussiexpat

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

That's not cheaper than the thai Covid insurance Ubonjoe gave the link for.

Maybe countries are significantly different but my quote from Australia was 14,400 bt per year. US$40 a month is over 15,000 bt. (Thai insurance is also monthly and equaled out at $40/mth at 3-4 months)

Which Thai covid-19 policy are your referring to? I checked the Visa Friendly one by Pacific Cross and it was higher than US$40 monthly (for approx half of the coverage).