Any idea as to the cost of presciption lenses?

giddyup

The optician at Bkk/Pattaya hospital did an eye exam and wrote me out prescriptions for both reading and distance glasses. As I already have my own frames wondering what the cost of the lenses might be, roughly. Nothing fancy, just straightforward lenses. It will give a rough idea as to a ballpark figure when the shop quotes me.

Edited by giddyup

I go to a local small business where I have had checks and new prescriptions as required for  bifocal lenses which cost me 500Bht and includes tinting in color and shade to my own desire. New frames start there at 1000 Bht  but I usually  buy cheap sunglasses and pop the lenses out. He  does not mind at all so long as the frames can accomodate the lenses which are manufactured in Korea. Directly across the road from this shop is one of the Top C.. franchises where I went initially  but they were very expensive and  gave me a completely wrong prescription !

So I am not providing a "ballpark" cost but an indication of  what may be a low start point if you shop around.

• Like 1

Even Top Chareon have prices ranging from around B800 for the ordinary plastic ones up to around B8000 for Ziess type and quality.

They will always pull out and quote the most expensive first

• Like 2

If you have the prescriptions, go through Zenni. Really do it!

Many fine shops in Thailand  --- However the cost can vary depending on your prescription which means you can get scammed. Hard for anyone who is not an optician to give you the exact price to expect, unless they have the exact same prescription that you have. 

I have never been scammed. My girlfriend however has. And I was the one who had to pay the bill. ????  It only pisses me off when I remember it ... LIKE NOW.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Be careful.  Every time I get glasses the optician starts by quoting me some astronomic price like ฿30,000.  Then I plainly tell them to show me all of the options starting at the least expensive.

My last pair of simple lens cost ฿5000 as I have a pretty strong prescription and need to buy high index plastic which are a little pricier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If u use zennioptical.com u buy frames and get a free prescription. They are dirt cheap. Locally (bkk) I pay 1500b for hoya progressive lenses. I use a local mom and pop opticians. 7000+ at top charoen

Edited by uncleP
  • Like 1